This is the team we were expecting to see | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This is the team we were expecting to see

Ugh, I've so wanted to say this same thing since last night but didn't want to be ripped for being negative.

This reminds me a little of Bill Stewart at WV, except he was trying to become the HC but same situation, the players loved him.

I really liked what I saw with the defense yesterday but lets see it over the next couple of games or +1 more and then evaluate. Stanard's stats as a defensive coach are pretty bad, I outlined them in another thread a week ago or so. His defensive units consistently performed around the 100 mark in the most important defensive stats, historically, not just one season. So unless he's drastically changed his approach I'm worried about him as our DC.

What are all the examples? I can’t think of many but Manny Diaz seems to be doing ok. (and it pains me to say that)

Last edited:
He was. In fact I paused it last night to look. The OL on Jordan’s TD (right to left) was Red, Tisdale, Duerig, walk-on Austin Chandler and PDavis at LT
Nice. I will have to rewatch. Think I was too giddy to notice.

What are all the examples? I can’t think of many but Manny Diaz seems to be doing ok. (and it pains me to say that)

I’ll do the research when I get a chance. If I can remember Bill Stewart winning the bowl game and the players all backing him to be the next coach I’m pretty sure people can recall more than one other example.

Let’s take that part out of the equation. His previous rankings over a number of years at two schools as DC have been bad. Really really bad. As bad as and worse than Wards numbers this year that got him fired. So not sure why we’d replace a coach putting out national defensive numbers in the 90’s - 100’s with a coach who historically did the same thing but over multiple years at two different schools.

One good thing for us in the pass blocking game is that Duke, Lville and WF are 3 of the worst teams in the ACC in sacks. The real good pass rush teams are behind us. Only 2 teams are behind those 3 schools. 1 down 2 to go.

I must say this one more time:
I made a comment a few weeks ago.. There were details being missed on both sides of the ball. Mistakes were not being cleaned up on both sides of the ball week to week.. Coaching, was in fact some of this.. The LB's are actually moving forward today... a lot more aggressive on D... tighter coverage... Ward was a problem...

OL looks up to there talent level today.. guys just didn't get better because of the BYE week. I still want to know who the guy was that determined Alexander a starter over Bergeron and put Servais at center is.. because that person needs to be looked at.. as in possibly fired. At this level you cannot mis-manage a roster like we did this year before today.. We do not have the talent depth to evaluate starters and mis that bad... and its just so obvious the "favorite" game was played or talent eval by someone is a huge miss.. and we cant have that as a program at our level.
NOW I am extremely happy for this Win and if we can find a way to get to 6.. After the ridiculousness that's happened this year, It would be a major accomplishment and momentum moving forward

What’s interesting about the Vettorello/Servais switch is that per Bailey, Dino and Cavanaugh have been discussing this at least as far back as the week before the BC game. So I wonder if it was Dino who was afraid to pull the trigger.

Football coaches are conservative by nature with the younger personnel. Even many of the innovative and aggressive coaches. Add in that he was dealing with a code red defensive staff issue and I think it was just a difficult time.

I’m thrilled that for one day, none of it was an issue and we just went out and completely dominated a peer program on their home field. Better late than never.

I’ll do the research when I get a chance. If I can remember Bill Stewart winning the bowl game and the players all backing him to be the next coach I’m pretty sure people can recall more than one other example.

Let’s take that part out of the equation. His previous rankings over a number of years at two schools as DC have been bad. Really really bad. As bad as and worse than Wards numbers this year that got him fired. So not sure why we’d replace a coach putting out national defensive numbers in the 90’s - 100’s with a coach who historically did the same thing but over multiple years at two different schools.
Gotta remember could be the whole Tampa 2 bullshiiiiiiiit defense he ran at Wyoming. Again that defense is a wait and see what they do defense and not a not a let’s kick u in the balls defense like yesterday. Biggest thing I get is every year a coach improves mostly anyway as they learn new things. What if coach standard learned and we have the personnel for this type. He may of not had the right kids before or whatever the reason is. Maybe he wasnt good at calling games in his first stint. Never know but if we play this way last 3 games, I’m including a bowl game, with this style defense and it works, sign his ars up and let’s go. I would rather lose trying that sitting back and watching stuff go bad. I do understand your wait and see attitude totally. Your not wrong. I just hope he has improved which looks like it so far.

I am still skeptical that the OL/O is fixed. Same with the D. How much of our success was playing a bad Duke team?

Up until the second INT did our O really look all that different than they did vs BC? How many people thought we would win before that pick 6? In the 4th Q we ran the ball great, but by then the game was over.

How much of our D success came from Duke not being able to throw a forward pass? The TOs were great and a difference maker, but we saw similar vs NC State minus the TOs.

We finally seemed to play 4 Qs on both sides of the ball. Which is great. Hopefully that continues the rest of the year. After yesterday we all have hope now.

Gotta remember could be the whole Tampa 2 bullshiiiiiiiit defense he ran at Wyoming. Again that defense is a wait and see what they do defense and not a not a let’s kick u in the balls defense like yesterday. Biggest thing I get is every year a coach improves mostly anyway as they learn new things. What if coach standard learned and we have the personnel for this type. He may of not had the right kids before or whatever the reason is. Maybe he wasnt good at calling games in his first stint. Never know but if we play this way last 3 games, I’m including a bowl game, with this style defense and it works, sign his ars up and let’s go. I would rather lose trying that sitting back and watching stuff go bad. I do understand your wait and see attitude totally. Your not wrong. I just hope he has improved which looks like it so far.

How can he have learned new things when he went straight from Wyoming to SU? He was with the Wyoming HC for 5 years. Yet he was let go despite no real pressure to do so. That seems like a red flag to me.

Hey, I’m happy the defense played better, but historically, coaches preferred by players tend to be pushovers who ultimately have no discipline.

Honest question. Is this theory of 'historically, coaches preferred by players tending to be pushovers who ultimately have no discipline' a causation relative to football only? I ask (for a friend) because he believed our beloved coach Hopkins was preferred by many of our players on the hoops side... :)

That is very true. Anyone who went through Grob + Shafer and still can't not watch every game is a little silly. Or crazy.

Which negative did you intend?

So, our whole problem has been that we had the center playing tackle and the tackle playing center?

1574005219115.png

What exactly are people expecting the defensive coordinator at Wyoming and Tulane to deliver? The Steel Curtain?

The Defense really stepped up; congratulations Coach Stanard, D-coaches and players! That was the type of D we have been expecting all season. This game effort truly demonstrated the talent w have on defense and what that talent is able to do when allowed to play to their strengths!

I also think that the offense grew throughout the game; especially the O-line when it began to effectively open holes for our RB's. I also witnessed better playcalling that played to our strengths and the improved efforts of our O-line.

Good game, Orange!!!

go orange.gif

Vett has had issues in practice with the snap, especially the shot gun. The bye afforded us time to let him work almost exclusively on that.
Why wasn’t he doing that in preseason? Excuses.

I am still skeptical that the OL/O is fixed. Same with the D. How much of our success was playing a bad Duke team?

Up until the second INT did our O really look all that different than they did vs BC? How many people thought we would win before that pick 6? In the 4th Q we ran the ball great, but by then the game was over.

How much of our D success came from Duke not being able to throw a forward pass? The TOs were great and a difference maker, but we saw similar vs NC State minus the TOs.

We finally seemed to play 4 Qs on both sides of the ball. Which is great. Hopefully that continues the rest of the year. After yesterday we all have hope now.

I don’t think everything is fixed, but I do think we probably got over a big mental hurdle or 3. And that’s important. We should be more focused preparing for the next 2 games.

Duke is bad, but we scored 7 TDs and they didn’t score any. They aren’t the only bad team we’ve played, but the other bad teams had their best game against us.

Honeymoon will end quickly if Louisville beats us and the reality of no bowl sets in. I really hope we can pull out a win next weekend, no matter how ugly. Playing Wake with a bowl on the line would be pretty amazing considering how we felt at halftime of the BC game.

Why wasn’t he doing that in preseason? Excuses.
Of course Bye week helped
because he wasn’t going to be a center. It was Heckel, Servais, Deurig, and a freshman/walk on. Vett was pegged as the RT. No excuses.
Bees is correct. Vet did get limited time at Center but when Heck and Duerig went down it was to late.
On a positive note if the rumors about Heck being MDQ then Vet looks like he can step into the starting role next year. I thought he played a good game.

A lot of valid concerns. I will say this, center snaps is a big part of the offense. When there's inconsistency it throws off the timing of the whole offense and creates negative plays. In, addition you need to know all the checks and slide calls. If Vett struggled with it then thats probably the reason why they waited so long.

we still didnt get great push in a large part of the game. but it was good to see the RB actually have a few holes to run threw. we ran some pulling plays that havent worked all yr. We need to still figure out the running game when teams are geared to stop it but when we mix and match we have a shot at moving the ball.

I remember one high snap that TD was able to bring in. Were there other bad snaps?

What exactly are people expecting the defensive coordinator at Wyoming and Tulane to deliver? The Steel Curtain?

He was the DC at both schools for 3 years. I guess I would expect to see improvement over those 3 years at each individual school AND/OR improvement after going from Tulane to Wyoming. In some ways his numbers were worse at Wyoming where I think overall talent should be better. But there was no statistical improvement overall at either job in any of the years he coached. He pretty steadily coached one of the poorer defenses in the country each place he was at. Which I guess is ok with you but not really my expectation. I mean, like even in the 70's or 80's would be better.

Maybe he's a completely adjusted his way of coaching, that would be awesome. I liked what I saw in one game but it's one game. History doesn't show that that performance is normal from his defense. So maybe he's got a whole new approach to the game and we're going to stick with him. If our defense gets better with him as a coach, I'm all for it. s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom