This is the team we were expecting to see | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is the team we were expecting to see

I must say this one more time:
I made a comment a few weeks ago.. There were details being missed on both sides of the ball. Mistakes were not being cleaned up on both sides of the ball week to week.. Coaching, was in fact some of this.. The LB's are actually moving forward today... a lot more aggressive on D... tighter coverage... Ward was a problem...

OL looks up to there talent level today.. guys just didn't get better because of the BYE week. I still want to know who the guy was that determined Alexander a starter over Bergeron and put Servais at center is.. because that person needs to be looked at.. as in possibly fired. At this level you cannot mis-manage a roster like we did this year before today.. We do not have the talent depth to evaluate starters and mis that bad... and its just so obvious the "favorite" game was played or talent eval by someone is a huge miss.. and we cant have that as a program at our level.
NOW I am extremely happy for this Win and if we can find a way to get to 6.. After the ridiculousness that's happened this year, It would be a major accomplishment and momentum moving forward

I want this guy on the staff ^^^^

Hey, I’m happy the defense played better, but historically, coaches preferred by players tend to be pushovers who ultimately have no discipline.

This is my fear as well, having the interim DC who is well liked by the players and ends up the permanent DC rarely turns out that well for teams

This is my fear as well, having the interim DC who is well liked by the players and ends up the permanent DC rarely turns out that well for teams

I will say, guys liked Shafer as the DC and he was pretty good there... just not a seat over.

I can attest you made these comments about the line weeks back. Like the changes you saw today?
I really did enjoy the OL play today.. I saw the center hold his ground.. I saw some things that makes me think they have changed there aggressiveness on the line.. and I absolutely loved the fact that when they pulled, they got to there spots and found guys to put a body on... I have said all along.. we have average talent on the OL... not bottom 5 talent.. and YES this was largely a coaching/talent eval/ not putting guys in the right spots to be successful issue with a touch of schematic change. We do not lose to NC ST with this OL play and it frustrates me because if an ex high-school coach can easily see it.. then someone getting paid 100's of K a year at Div 1 level should have seen it and fixed it before things became a dumpster fire.

I want TO BE CLEAR HERE... I like Babers and for me.. he is the guy... I want to lead this team... and I am all in with him... but I have very serious questions about other coaches under him.. IMO more than one time we have had guys NOT sitting that should have been.. going all the way back to SHY last year... nobody can convince me that Foster hasn't deserved to be benched, and after what I have seen with guys stepping up in other positions that weren't given a chance.. We might have a better, higher upside guy that should have been getting more playing time.. Coley has had some run.. but there are others that I think have more upside than him that have not had the chance... I don't see them in practice and its just a hunch.. but from what I have seen.. I don't have complete confidence that the best/right guys are playing at every position. What value does Riley bring to the O or return game at this point? Someone else couldn't get more experience and growth?

I thought we would win 7 maybe 8.. I still believe we have the talent that should have got to those numbers and in my mind, some of the schemes and what I perceive to be coaching has been to blame for 75% of it. I hope we can win the last 2 so its not a lost season.. I still hope an honest evaluation will be done by Babers in the off season because a couple more guys probably need to be put on notice on his staff..

Last edited:
I must say this one more time:
I made a comment a few weeks ago.. There were details being missed on both sides of the ball. Mistakes were not being cleaned up on both sides of the ball week to week.. Coaching, was in fact some of this.. The LB's are actually moving forward today... a lot more aggressive on D... tighter coverage... Ward was a problem...

OL looks up to there talent level today.. guys just didn't get better because of the BYE week. I still want to know who the guy was that determined Alexander a starter over Bergeron and put Servais at center is.. because that person needs to be looked at.. as in possibly fired. At this level you cannot mis-manage a roster like we did this year before today.. We do not have the talent depth to evaluate starters and mis that bad... and its just so obvious the "favorite" game was played or talent eval by someone is a huge miss.. and we cant have that as a program at our level.
NOW I am extremely happy for this Win and if we can find a way to get to 6.. After the ridiculousness that's happened this year, It would be a major accomplishment and momentum moving forward

i don’t know about a few weeks ago but you’ve said it about 4 times today.

I really did enjoy the OL play today.. I saw the center hold his ground.. I saw some things that makes me think they have changed there aggressiveness on the line.. and I absolutely loved the fact that when they pulled, they got to there spots and found guys to put a body on... I have said all along.. we have average talent on the OL... not bottom 5 talent.. and YES this was largely a coaching/talent eval/ not putting guys in the right spots to be successful issue with a touch of schematic change. We do not lose to NC ST with this OL play and it frustrates me because if an ex high-school coach can easily see it.. then someone getting paid 100's of K a year at Div 1 level should have seen it and fixed it before things became a dumpster fire. I want TO BE CLEAR HERE...

Vett has had issues in practice with the snap, especially the shot gun. The bye afforded us time to let him work almost exclusively on that.

i don’t know about a few weeks ago but you’ve said it about 4 times today.
Yes I know, I said it in the game thread a couple of times.. peeps are going to get sick of me harping on this for a while because some of our struggles have been self induced by the staff IMO.. and we cannot have that at this time in our program.. we just do not have the back end talent to be so wrong.. Alexander was so bad from even the first 2 games.. I just do not see how a competent coach watching the tape could have kept him in there.. same with Servais.. It took me about 15Min into game 1 and I saw a guy that should not have been put at center.

Yes I saw Vet snap a few off target today.. but I can promise you he did not go from incompetent to serviceable in the matter of an extra 5 or 6 days because of a bye week. Now I wonder how much better he would be by now if he had been the center from the beginning .. I can tell you he would be more solid most likely right now and we would prob have atleast another win (NC ST). NC ST won a game in which they were so incompetent it took almost an unbelievable incompetent performance from us to give them the game..

I may sound negative but I am really only wanting to give an honest critique of what has been obvious.. or at least my opinion of it. One of the reasons why I haven't been as hard on Tommy is because the kid has had little help from the mis-diagnosed OL starters/line-up to the 5 weeks it took to even try and work in more quick passes that weren't WR screens with our game planning and odd play calling at times.. scheme has been a problem here as well on the O.

I am from upstate NY (close to Syracuse) area originally.. I am the guy who flies back from Cali to attend a game every year.. and go to bowl games when they make them. I am passionate and I understand that SU means a lot to the locals and I have family that attend the games. I believe we have a window to get this football thing right.. we cant afford to screw it up with incompetence from any level of the staff.. let alone position coaches who largely determine starters..

Vett has had issues in practice with the snap, especially the shot gun. The bye afforded us time to let him work almost exclusively on that.
That was the 2nd bye.

Yes I know, I said it in the game thread a couple of times.. peeps are going to get sick of me harping on this for a while because some of our struggles have been self induced by the staff IMO.. and we cannot have that at this time in our program.. we just do not have the back end talent to be so wrong.. Alexander was so bad from even the first 2 games.. I just do not see how a competent coach watching the tape could have kept him in there.. same with Servais.. It took me about 15Min into game 1 and I saw a guy that should not have been put at center.

Yes I saw Vet snap a few off target today.. but I can promise you he did not go from incompetent to serviceable in the matter of an extra 5 or 6 days because of a bye week. Now I wonder how much better he would be by now if he had been the center from the beginning .. I can tell you he would be more solid most likely right now and we would prob have atleast another win (NC ST). NC ST won a game in which they were so incompetent it took almost an unbelievable incompetent performance from us to give them the game..

I may sound negative but I am really only wanting to give an honest critique of what has been obvious.. or at least my opinion of it. One of the reasons why I haven't been as hard on Tommy is because the kid has had little help from the mis-diagnosed OL starters/line-up to the 5 weeks it took to even try and work in more quick passes that weren't WR screens with our game planning and odd play calling at times.. scheme has been a problem here as well on the O.

I am from upstate NY (close to Syracuse) area originally.. I am the guy who flies back from Cali to attend a game every year.. and go to bowl games when they make them. I am passionate and I understand that SU means a lot to the locals and I have family that attend the games. I believe we have a window to get this football thing right.. we cant afford to screw it up with incompetence from any level of the staff.. let alone position coaches who largely determine starters..
It really didn't help when Devito was taking sacks he didn't have to, which he looks like he has now realized that taking those sacks has made SU the most sacked team in the country, and that created a lot of negative press for the o-line and staff. That's a black mark for those guys and I don't think it made them want to play hard for the guy when the stat was not all their fault. Devito played smart this game and I think he has made real strides and is playing good ball.

The OL looked good and what also impressed me was the way the RB's moved to the holes and didn't climb up the OL backs...some great cuts and vision.

I saw an LB...Richards I believe...dive and deflect a pass. I absolutely loved that and we've been missing that for far too long. Watching this defense react instead of looking like they had cement on their shoes was nice to see. Still loads to work on but it was a fun game to watch.

Hey, I’m happy the defense played better, but historically, coaches preferred by players tend to be pushovers who ultimately have no discipline.

Ugh, I've so wanted to say this same thing since last night but didn't want to be ripped for being negative.

This reminds me a little of Bill Stewart at WV, except he was trying to become the HC but same situation, the players loved him.

I really liked what I saw with the defense yesterday but lets see it over the next couple of games or +1 more and then evaluate. Stanard's stats as a defensive coach are pretty bad, I outlined them in another thread a week ago or so. His defensive units consistently performed around the 100 mark in the most important defensive stats, historically, not just one season. So unless he's drastically changed his approach I'm worried about him as our DC.

The OL looked good and what also impressed me was the way the RB's moved to the holes and didn't climb up the OL backs...some great cuts and vision.

I saw an LB...Richards I believe...dive and deflect a pass. I absolutely loved that and we've been missing that for far too long. Watching this defense react instead of looking like they had cement on their shoes was nice to see. Still loads to work on but it was a fun game to watch.

They also waited for their blocks on multiple occasions which was nice to see, both on interior and outside runs. I guess even more importantly, they waited for their blocks and their blockers put their bodies on somebody. Good overall performance by the OL and RB's compared to most of the season. I don't think the RB's have been at fault this year but they capitalized on the improved blocking and play calling.

They also waited for their blocks on multiple occasions which was nice to see, both on interior and outside runs. I guess even more importantly, they waited for their blocks and their blockers put their bodies on somebody. Good overall performance by the OL and RB's compared to most of the season. I don't think the RB's have been at fault this year but they capitalized on the improved blocking and play calling.

Not as many runs up the middle and I agree, everyone looked better in the running game...team effort.

Dukes lines are more on par with Syracuse's than most of the other ACC teams who have major P5 recruits. Wake is also similar but L'ville is a notch or 2 stronger.

they tried vetterello in the spring and summer and he’s had problems snapping. I’m sure it’s been a work in progress. Id guess at this point they just decided they had to risk it. I don’t think it was hard to figure out though.
Well it sure let’s adams and see pull faster and better than before. I saw that vert would stop any initial movement on the 1 tech. How long is it before he is really comfortable and starts getting some drive going.

Not as many runs up the middle and I agree, everyone looked better in the running game...team effort.
Yeah that too. I couldn’t believe m eyes when we were pulling 2 guys at once and running 3456 holes and it worked wonderfully. Great game by all.

I really did enjoy the OL play today.. I saw the center hold his ground.. I saw some things that makes me think they have changed there aggressiveness on the line.. and I absolutely loved the fact that when they pulled, they got to there spots and found guys to put a body on... I have said all along.. we have average talent on the OL... not bottom 5 talent.. and YES this was largely a coaching/talent eval/ not putting guys in the right spots to be successful issue with a touch of schematic change. We do not lose to NC ST with this OL play and it frustrates me because if an ex high-school coach can easily see it.. then someone getting paid 100's of K a year at Div 1 level should have seen it and fixed it before things became a dumpster fire.

I want TO BE CLEAR HERE... I like Babers and for me.. he is the guy... I want to lead this team... and I am all in with him... but I have very serious questions about other coaches under him.. IMO more than one time we have had guys NOT sitting that should have been.. going all the way back to SHY last year... nobody can convince me that Foster hasn't deserved to be benched, and after what I have seen with guys stepping up in other positions that weren't given a chance.. We might have a better, higher upside guy that should have been getting more playing time.. Coley has had some run.. but there are others that I think have more upside than him that have not had the chance... I don't see them in practice and its just a hunch.. but from what I have seen.. I don't have complete confidence that the best/right guys are playing at every position. What value does Riley bring to the O or return game at this point? Someone else couldn't get more experience and growth?

I thought we would win 7 maybe 8.. I still believe we have the talent that should have got to those numbers and in my mind, some of the schemes and what I perceive to be coaching has been to blame for 75% of it. I hope we can win the last 2 so its not a lost season.. I still hope an honest evaluation will be done by Babers in the off season because a couple more guys probably need to be put on notice on his staff..
U sayalmost exactly the same stuff as me. I did feel Foster had a better game today but ur right about getting other guys reps. Really wanna see Jonas get some time and see how he is. Saw Richards and he did really well but didn’t see him in second half. I wonder if he is hurt or what but his length and aggressiveness bodes well for this defense. Love the downhill movement bye the whole front seven or six. I thought our line did well and I wonder if they make more improvements do they get rid of Cav still or no. Was a bit more aggressive blocking also from oline like they were trying to pancake people which I haven’t seen all year. I think they should let a few other oline guys play to get reps for next year. Don’t remember seeing Tisdale today at lg at all.

If they want to keep Vett at center next season then Heckel steps into LG for Evan Adams and there is your starting OL. Servais-Heckel-Vett-D. Davis-Bergeron.

U sayalmost exactly the same stuff as me. I did feel Foster had a better game today but ur right about getting other guys reps. Really wanna see Jonas get some time and see how he is. Saw Richards and he did really well but didn’t see him in second half. I wonder if he is hurt or what but his length and aggressiveness bodes well for this defense. Love the downhill movement bye the whole front seven or six. I thought our line did well and I wonder if they make more improvements do they get rid of Cav still or no. Was a bit more aggressive blocking also from oline like they were trying to pancake people which I haven’t seen all year. I think they should let a few other oline guys play to get reps for next year. Don’t remember seeing Tisdale today at lg at all.

Tisdale... I believe was playing when Jordan scored his TD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom