This is way more difficult than most think | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

This is way more difficult than most think

OttoinGrotto said:
Coyle can make that call. If he does it's fine. I'll just have low interest, and the little bit I'll have will disappear quickly if we're not significantly better.

Who cares?

If Coyle does not make a change he has the biggest pair I will have seen in a long time. He will never have a better time to do it. Nobody will question it. If he waits he owns it.

Great take. I wonder if this is Coyle's decision to make unilaterally. Even if it is not, he, and Syeverud, will have to own it.

I'm not arguing a point. I'm making a statement and a prediction.
The sun will rise tomorrow in the east... There's another statement and prediction.

Yes if Coyle decides to keep shafer people will think they know better than him. If Coyle hires a new HC people will think they know better than Coyle about which coach to hire. If Coyle fires Shafer people will think they know more than Coyle and that Shafer should not have been fired... Admittedly a fewer number than the other two groups.

As someone once said, any idiot can go through life without making any enemies... Criticism comes with the job.

What will be a strange dynamic is to see what people, who are dismissing others opinions as crazy, will say if Coyle does keep Shafer another year. I'm predicting those people will feel their opinions are also better than Coyles. Bank on it, some have already said it.
I don't think they will say anything. Many, I have read here, will stop supporting the program. So, no need for them to be here.

leftytg said:
Back in 2003, the Red Sox were playing the Yankees in Game 7 of the ALCS. Pedro Martinez had pitched well for 7 innings and was clearly gassed, as was obvious to anyone who followed the Red Sox. Grady Little inexplicably left Pedro Martinez in the game, and the lead, and ultimately the game, was lost. I, and millions of other Red Sox fans, were screaming at the screen, incredulous at what a stupid decision leaving Martinez in was. It was indefensible at the time, and even a decade later, remains indefensible. Somewhere, there was a Red Sox fan version of bees saying, "well, none of you are MLB managers. Who are you to question a move like this? Grady Little knows more about baseball than anyone here." Which, of course, is true. Grady Little does know more about baseball. That doesn't insulate him from making a bad decision. So yes - if Coyle doesn't see what is blindingly obvious to the vast, vast, vast majority of Syracuse football fans, and retains Shafer - I will most certainly say that he is making a major mistake, and will lose a lot of confidence in his competency as an AD. Much as I did for Grady Little (who, it should be noted, lost his job for that massive lapse of judgment.)

There's a big difference between a tactical decision and a strategic one. Most understand that. I've complained a 100 times a season about tactical decisions made by coaches of teams I root for. So good for you on being correct in hindsight on that tactical decision.

N.Y. Orangeman said:
I think you are stretching here. Tying SS to Coyle, even if he gives him another years, will not happen in the masses to the extent you suggest.

Many have already done so. Read the 99 threads about firing this staff.

N.Y. Orangeman said:
I think you are stretching here. Tying SS to Coyle, even if he gives him another years, will not happen in the masses to the extent you suggest.
Have you read this board lately? I am guessing no.

OrangeFoo said:
The sun will rise tomorrow in the east... There's another statement and prediction. Yes if Coyle decides to keep shafer people will think they know better than him. If Coyle hires a new HC people will think they know better than Coyle about which coach to hire. If Coyle fires Shafer people will think they know more than Coyle and that Shafer should not have been fired... Admittedly a fewer number than the other two groups. As someone once said, any idiot can go through life without making any enemies... Criticism comes with the job.

Criticism is one thing and it's expected. But read this board (well you really can't read everything anymore). It's not criticism.

And people will say Coyle is a bum, needs to be fired and that they know more about the job than he does.
I no longer care, Coyle can do whatever, until I see a better product on the field I am no longer emotionally invested in this football program. I still plan to go to games, mostly out of habit.
The university will not be winning any new fans, until they show they are willing to do what it takes. I should have paid more attention to Buzz Shaw when he advised fans to get a life, because that is apparently the attitude of the powers that run Syracuse.

Have you read this board lately? I am guessing no.

10 posters posting the same item 1000 times does not not support the premise. 80% of the others are venting. I'm sorry, but people will not turn on Coyle this quickly. That would start next year; we aren't that bad.

I no longer care, Coyle can do whatever, until I see a better product on the field I am no longer emotionally invested in this football program. I still plan to go to games, mostly out of habit.
The university will not be winning any new fans, until they show they are willing to do what it takes. I should have paid more attention to Buzz Shaw when he advised fans to get a life, because that is apparently the attitude of the powers that run Syracuse.
SU has a new chancellor and a new AD. I have no idea what they are thinking and neither do you.

10 posters posting the same item 1000 times does not not support the premise. 80% of the others are venting. I'm sorry, but people will not turn on Coyle this quickly. That would start next year; we aren't that bad.
From your lips...

From your lips...

So now I am in the position of defending the posters on the board to a staff member? Cali is work for a small army alone.

I'm sorry, but people need to Mark...and will.

So now I am in the position of defending the posters on the board to a staff member? Cali is work for a small army alone.

I'm sorry, but people need to Mark...and will.
What are you talking about? How are you being put in the position of defending anyone?

What are you talking about? How are you being put in the position of defending anyone?

Back up in the thread, where you quoted me post to Rick. Feel free to clarify your point if it was lost.

Back up in the thread, where you quoted me post to Rick. Feel free to clarify your point if it was lost.
My 'From your lips {to God's ears}' post was in response to the bolded statement above. Sorry if my point was not clear.

Coyle can make that call. If he does it's fine. I'll just have low interest, and the little bit I'll have will disappear quickly if we're not significantly better.
This is why I think Coyle will do it. Lame ducks never work out.

It's not going to matter, Shafer ain't going to be the coach anymore soon.

Is that something you suspect, or something you know?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom