This isn't on Cooney | Syracusefan.com

This isn't on Cooney

two3zone

RIP Shark58
Too many things went wrong, ALL game, the last 6.6 seconds, what else was he supposed to do?

Below are some screen shots of the last few seconds. First off, there was NOBODY else to pass the ball to when we in-bounded.

CLGroH3.jpg

Second, when he was moving the ball up the court, he did it just fine, unfortunately our other FOUR players were within a 5 foot radius of each other. Can't give it up to anybody then.

7tpTmpN.jpg

Lastly, what is the other option? Maybe the play was for somebody to slash to the basket and Cooney pass the ball, unfortunately with 2.5 seconds left there wasn't one player he had the option to pass the ball to.

xoy4IOq.jpg

At the end of the day, the dude did all he could and was forced to make a play which he did and missed the shot. Was he the right guy with the ball? No, but he was the only other guy that could have brought the ball up, G was draped by 2 guys and I sure as hell hope Roberson isn't bringing it up. If anything failed, it was the play that was called, this isn't on Cooney.

Lydon and Roberson should both be near the basket. Only one defender between them.

I honestly think the look Cooney got was the best look we could have gotten, even if he drove he would have been met in the lane with not enough time to dish.

the problem was that once cooney got the ball everybody in the arena, everybody watching, every player and every coach knew cooney wasnt passing the ball. he has tunnel vision in these situations. he was gonna dribble down court and jack up a 3, there was zero doubt.

i agree everyone did a terrible job but cooney has zero court awareness. and he could have passed it right back to richardson on the inbounds.

No it isn't. The only negative thing I have directed towards him was settling for a three...when the defender fell! That's prime time to drive. You cannot ask for a bigger opening in my opinion. You even answered your question... We had four guys around eachother. There was plenty of room to attack. Absolutely The clock played a role.

The inbound design made no sense. At all. Did we even attempt a screen at all?? How do you not even try?

I honestly think the look Cooney got was the best look we could have gotten, even if he drove he would have been met in the lane with not enough time to dish.

Disagree

look at how deep he shoots it from, why??? if he drove and pulled up inside the 3 pt line and got a decent look it wouldnt have been as bad. but down 1 to pull up from that spot was just awful shot selection.

Disagree

I see what you're saying about the drive. There was a guy in the lane and to be honest I'd rather Cooney take an open three than a contested layup. I've seen too many times him just throwing up a shot when contact is about to happen with no foul call and missing horribly. If there was more time I would have preferred that with Lydon and Roberson trailing for a rebound and put back.

look at how deep he shoots it from, why??? if he drove and pulled up inside the 3 pt line and got a decent look it wouldnt have been as bad. but down 1 to pull up from that spot was just awful shot selection.

I don't think he could have moved in anymore to get a cleaner look. There was a guy to his left who recovered from the fall, a guy to his right who is coming at him and the guy in the paint. I think that was the most open look he could have gotten.

If we had rebounded the missed 1-and-1 instead of having the Pitt shooter knock the ball out of bounds, Dixon would not have had time to instruct his players to face guard G. Dixon explained this in the post-game interview. So, essentially, Cooney was left open by design.

It's on coaching to make sure your team boxes out in a 1-and-1. 4 SU players. 1 Pitt shooter. Absolutely no excuse. Rookie head coaches pull that stunt.

A drive. His man has fallen. 3 seconds left. Would have been 2 on 1 or even 3 on 1. Could dish for the flush. Could drive and get fouled. Could drive and miss and have 2 teammates in prime put back territory. A drive there is almost guaranteed to get points one way or the other.

I don't think he could have moved in anymore to get a cleaner look. There was a guy to his left who recovered from the fall, a guy to his right who is coming at him and the guy in the paint. I think that was the most open look he could have gotten.

cooney had a step on his man after he slipped and the guy to his right wasnt leaving G.

I see what you're saying about the drive. There was a guy in the lane and to be honest I'd rather Cooney take an open three than a contested layup. I've seen too many times him just throwing up a shot when contact is about to happen with no foul call and missing horribly. If there was more time I would have preferred that with Lydon and Roberson trailing for a rebound and put back.

It's not fair that we can dissect freeze frames but still--- sure there was a guy in the lane but we had two 6'8" guys charging the rim too. I take my chances with 1. A foul, 2. Presence of mind to dump it to a forward, 3. Shoot a shot and hope for a tip in or...a make.

It would have been around 3 seconds if he chose to drive right after the defender fell. That's a long time to dribble to the rim.

Again---- easy as for me to say and unfair to really pick it apart like I am.

Have some of you forgot the shot clock was no longer in easy view like it normally is? He was actually erring on the side of caution in that instance.

It's fixed. Conspiracy!

A drive. His man has fallen. 3 seconds left. Would have been 2 on 1 or even 3 on 1. Could dish for the flush. Could drive and get fouled. Could drive and miss and have 2 teammates in prime put back territory. A drive there is almost guaranteed to get points one way or the other.

d0407s2.jpg

The first screen shot tells the whole story for me. It just makes me mad thinking about it. If you flip Mali and Cooney. Mali would have caught the ball and drive hard to his left with a full head of steam and gotten all the way to the hoop for a good shot. It would have been perfect. It's not Cooney's fault although he should have drove the ball.

Straight line drive, defenders almost always overcommit to the block which opens up the offensive rebound, dish, or maybe a made basket.

The first screen shot tells the whole story for me. It just makes me mad thinking about it. If you flip Mali and Cooney. Mali would have caught the ball and drive hard to his left with a full head of steam and gotten all the way to the hoop for a good shot. It would have been perfect. It's not Cooney's fault although he should have drove the ball.

This is the best point. Some others have mentioned it, but Cooney should have been the inbounder. Make him the trailing options - if things get desperate, he can take a deep three, otherwise, you do not want him with the ball. Or at least you shouldn't have.

honestly i dont think anything cooney did was gonna work. if he drives hes either gonna turn it over or get his shot blocked. if he drives and passes it will get deflected. hes a spot up shooter, thats it, and not a very good one either. if hes trying to create for himself or someone else it rarely ends well.

Have some of you forgot the shot clock was no longer in easy view like it normally is? He was actually erring on the side of caution in that instance.
This isn't being talked about enough. We deserved to lose today and I'm not blaming the clock because we put ourself in that spot -- however, you have to wonder if the clock was there and Cooney saw he had an extra 2 seconds if he would have done something different.

This is the best point. Some others have mentioned it, but Cooney should have been the inbounder. Make him the trailing options - if things get desperate, he can take a deep three, otherwise, you do not want him with the ball. Or at least you shouldn't have.

Perfect, don't disagree with this at all. TBH, no reason for Roberson to be in the game, wouldn't have been enough time for him to get a put back and I don't trust him making a game winning basket.

This isn't being talked about enough. We deserved to lose today and I'm not blaming the clock because we put ourself in that spot -- however, you have to wonder if the clock was there and Cooney saw he had an extra 2 seconds if he would have done something different.

i dont think so, he was jacking up a 3 there no matter what.