This isn't on Cooney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This isn't on Cooney

Steals for our defense is an incredibly weird stat - it's virtually impossible not to get a ton if you're a guard. Cooney's steal per 40 minutes are actually amongst the lowest, it's more about minutes logged. If we have guys playing 30 minutes up top, they're going to be top 10 in steals. It's just one of those things with the zone.

So apparently by this logic, at least his steal ability doesn't drop off as he tires like his shooting is said to? Just trying to make sure I understand everything correctly, as I havent been around much this season.

Couple of things here, and I'm not going to debate performance, but Mike and Trevor could of both said FU to SU after last year and went other places as "free agents" after the sanction year. They both were graduate players.

Heck maybe Trevor plays for Nova who is probably a better fit for his skill set there. I'll always be greatful they stuck around. As inconsistent as he was maybe we aren't even .500 without him. So as much as you want to be frustrated with him, and maybe even sometimes G, they didn't quit on us or JB. There's a ton to be said for that kind of loyalty.

This year is a bad year for Syracuse. This is our bottom out. Even DuKe, UNC, and UK have had losing season over the years. It's remarkable that JB can still put a competitive team on the floor even when he has been dealt a terrible hand. I have to think if he doesn't get suspended we are at 21-11 right now and comfortably in.
You maybe right, but where is the development. I would've thought this team would improve through the year especially down the stretch, and they went out there and laid an egg going 1-5 down the stretch. I hope your right about this being our bottom out year, because I'm not liking the way things are trending with this program. 37-26 in the past 2 seasons.

Couple of things here, and I'm not going to debate performance, but Mike and Trevor could of both said FU to SU after last year and went other places as "free agents" after the sanction year. They both were graduate players.

Heck maybe Trevor plays for Nova who is probably a better fit for his skill set there. I'll always be greatful they stuck around. As inconsistent as he was maybe we aren't even .500 without him. So as much as you want to be frustrated with him, and maybe even sometimes G, they didn't quit on us or JB. There's a ton to be said for that kind of loyalty.

This year is a bad year for Syracuse. This is our bottom out. Even DuKe, UNC, and UK have had losing season over the years. It's remarkable that JB can still put a competitive team on the floor even when he has been dealt a terrible hand. I have to think if he doesn't get suspended we are at 21-11 right now and comfortably in.

Absolutely - that's been my stance since last year. It's not anything new.

I by no means know if I'm right. Playing more Patterson may have been the worst mistake in the history of Syracuse basketball. There are some things I'm super-confident in, like that Rak was ready to explode, etc...but this, not so much.

Just always felt like he would have been a better fit because of his defense, ability to put the ball on the floor, etc......Cooney gave it all for 5 years, can't be mad about that. It was hard to watch him sitting on the bench with Doris blathering on about him not playing. I mean, sitting for extended minutes int he second half for like the first time in three years, when the season on the line? It's gotta hurt - and that sucks.

You maybe right, but where is the development. I would've thought this team would improve through the year especially down the stretch, and they went out there and laid an egg going 1-5 down the stretch. I hope your right about this being our bottom out year, because I'm not liking the way things are trending with this program. 37-26 in the past 2 seasons.

With Chukwu in the paint, we will be able to win games with our defense again if we don't make shots.

that last minute was not one of jbs finest moments. the 2 possessions where we had the ball with a chance to take the lead he had the ball in howard and cooney's hands. awful. and both were coming out of timeouts to set something up.

i guess it didnt occur to boeheim in the huddle to think "hmm what if they double G".
Apparently said someone didn't do their job to get G open on the inbound. How could that be?

So apparently by this logic, at least his steal ability doesn't drop off as he tires like his shooting is said to? Just trying to make sure I understand everything correctly, as I havent been around much this season.

I have no idea - it may drop off. His defense hasn't ever been much of an issue - people will debate if it's all-world or not, but I don't think anyone ever thought he was a liability on defense overall. I was just addressing the quantity of steals - it's not that relevant of a stat with our defense because everyone gets a ton if they play guard.

CorduroyG said:
thats a great question to ask boeheim. why was richardson inbounding???

Because he always does.

Lol.

CaptainJ said:
If he hadn't started, I wonder how much better off we'd be without the #10 SU player in all time steals? I'm more neutral than most on Cooney, so that's a question I'm sincerely curious about.

Good point. Can't argue that. But there's a group here that thinks we'll be better defensively in the backcourt next year without an all ACC defender in G and Cooney. The fact is we'll likely be better in the front court defensively and weaker in the backcourt.

The issue with Cooney is he never got better offensively.

What is harder- making a shot or catching a ball?

At that point just play four guards with Lydon. I'm not sure why Robey was even on the floor.

And if he was on the floor, why wasn't he inbounding? I haven't seen a replay, but was he supposed to be setting a big screen? SU was fortunate as it was that the FT shooter not only missed, but knocked it out of bounds. We couldn't have asked for much more than that, without a time out.

And if he was on the floor, why wasn't he inbounding? I haven't seen a replay, but was he supposed to be setting a big screen? SU was fortunate as it was that the FT shooter not only missed, but knocked it out of bounds. We couldn't have asked for much more than that, without a time out.

Either he or Roberson screwed up the play IMO.

What is harder- making a shot or catching a ball?

Depends who you're asking. Keita and Coleman make it a bit more interesting question... and that's with people actually aiming the ball at them. ;)

We could have asked for a box out! :)

We could have asked for a box out! :)

Indeed! But I think it actually helped our cause that we didn't rebound, as Pitt had 4 defenders back and in position. Of course I'm sure that can be argued either way given the botched up inbound play, but the missing shot clock was likely playing a role if we rebounded. Suffice it to say, I wish I had some beer in the fridge right now. :(

Last edited:
the problem was that once cooney got the ball everybody in the arena, everybody watching, every player and every coach knew cooney wasnt passing the ball. he has tunnel vision in these situations. he was gonna dribble down court and jack up a 3, there was zero doubt.

i agree everyone did a terrible job but cooney has zero court awareness. and he could have passed it right back to richardson on the inbounds.
With 6 seconds to go, you don't throw the ball backwards. :crazy:

With 6 seconds to go, you don't throw the ball backwards. :crazy:

6.5 seconds. richardson could have got just as far as cooney, especially with momentum going forward on the pass

It's richardsons fault for inbounding the ball to Cooney

d0407s2.jpg
The restricted area is bigger now. And, there's supposed to be more deference to the driver now than there was then.

Speaks volumes when a 5th year senior/starter sits during a large stretch of the second half.

Pitt had us bottled up defensively and Cooney wasn't providing answers.

It's richardsons fault for inbounding the ball to Cooney
With G covered, Cooney was the only viable option. I wouldn't trust Roberson or Lydon to make it down court in time. I agree that Cooney or Roberson should have been the one inbounding the ball, not Richardson. JB's decision.

sugrad68 said:
With G covered, Cooney was the only viable option. I wouldn't trust Roberson or Lydon to make it down court in time. I agree that Cooney or Roberson should have been the one inbounding the ball, not Richardson. JB's decision.

We don't set plays very well off inbound passes. Never have.

Earlier in the game, we were called for five seconds on an inbounds pass.

Just not a lot of creativity there.

Unfortunately, Tyler Ennis wasn't wearing Orange today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom