This isn't on Cooney | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This isn't on Cooney

Last shots. Was it Cooney that missed the three against Clemson when a two would do? Was it G that took a two when we needed a three against? to tie? So much for fifth year seniors and the knowledge they bring to the end of a game.

Perfect, don't disagree with this at all. TBH, no reason for Roberson to be in the game, wouldn't have been enough time for him to get a put back and I don't trust him making a game winning basket.

that last minute was not one of jbs finest moments. the 2 possessions where we had the ball with a chance to take the lead he had the ball in howard and cooney's hands. awful. and both were coming out of timeouts to set something up.

i guess it didnt occur to boeheim in the huddle to think "hmm what if they double G".

the problem was that once cooney got the ball everybody in the arena, everybody watching, every player and every coach knew cooney wasnt passing the ball. he has tunnel vision in these situations. he was gonna dribble down court and jack up a 3, there was zero doubt.

i agree everyone did a terrible job but cooney has zero court awareness. and he could have passed it right back to richardson on the inbounds.
Yeah pass it backwards with 6 seconds

Perfect, don't disagree with this at all. TBH, no reason for Roberson to be in the game, wouldn't have been enough time for him to get a put back and I don't trust him making a game winning basket.

I was thinking that too - I realize you want him for the putback, possibly for the screener, but it's a tough call. It seems like you could look to exploit whatever forward for Pitt ended up having to guard one of our guards. I'm not sure it's the wrong move though, I'd have to think more on it, sadly, JB doesn't have that luxury. lol

d0407s2.jpg

Block.

Cooney has been the guy for 3 years. It isn't his fault the staff has whiffed on getting players in who could challenge him.

I don't blame him for missing the shot. I said in the chat I wanted cooney to have his 06 GMac shot in the BET.

He missed. End of story. It is very sad that the kid hasn't really improved.
2 years ago we lost to Dayton because we for nothing out of G/Cooney.

I wish we put more on the staff. I thank JB for all he has done but the lack of changing it up has hurt the team.

i take tyler lydon w the free throw shot all day over cooney's shenanigans
Met too (though I would not characterize the shot as a "shenanigan") Everyone else was just watching.

I'm still not sure why Richardson was inbounding, unless the plan was to pass back to him. Arent whatever bigs were in able to do so, or were they more required for setting screens? Remember, if a defender errs slightly and commits a touch foul, we're going to the line with a chance to win it. Regardless if there's a time out or not, these situations are prepared for all season long, like Bill Belichick has his players ready for every conceivable situation so that it's in muscle memory like the ending to the previous Superbowl. Not to mention, 4 Cuse players nearly got outrebounded by a free throw shooter moments before. Either way, the play and certainly not the game can be blamed on Coon dog. And to my point about the shot clock, the neutral announcers harped on it more than anyone in this thread, other than myself. No excuses, but it is what it is.

I'm still not sure why Richardson was inbounding, unless the plan was to pass back to him. Arent whatever bigs were in able to do so, or were they more required for setting screens? Remember, if a defender errs slightly and commits a touch foul, we're going to the line with a chance to win it. Regardless if there's a time out or not, these situations are prepared for all season long, like Bill Belichick has his players ready for every conceivable situation so that it's in muscle memory like the ending to the previous Superbowl. Not to mention, 4 Cuse players nearly got outrebounded by a free throw shooter moments before. Either way, the play and certainly not the game can be blamed on Coon dog. And to my point about the shot clock, the neutral announcers harped on it more than anyone in this thread, other than myself. No excuses, but it is what it is.
Not sure what to blame on Cooney. The fact that everyone just stood around and watched him?

There a video of this out there? Hell...might as well watch the kris joseph takedown, the scoop over and back, and the Osu game too

Triche had a charge in that game as well that overturned an and 1. Must of been the NCAA knowing sanctions were imminent.

Last edited:
Cooney has given a world of effort. He's had some very good games. But he probably wouldn't be starting for half the teams in the ACC.

If he hadn't started, I wonder how much better off we'd be without the #10 SU player in all time steals? I'm more neutral than most on Cooney, so that's a question I'm sincerely curious about.

We have 2 guys that i had confidence could dribble the length of the court and score-One was double-teamed (no one even in the vicinity to try to screen him open) and the other was inbounding the ball

Cooney has been the guy for 3 years. It isn't his fault the staff has whiffed on getting players in who could challenge him.

I don't blame him for missing the shot. I said in the chat I wanted cooney to have his 06 GMac shot in the BET.

He missed. End of story. It is very sad that the kid hasn't really improved.
2 years ago we lost to Dayton because we for nothing out of G/Cooney.

I wish we put more on the staff. I thank JB for all he has done but the lack of changing it up has hurt the team.

Eh, 0% will agree with me, but I still think Patterson would have been just as good, and probably a better fit for these rosters as comprised over the past two seasons.

If he hadn't started, I wonder how much better off we'd be without the #10 SU player in all time steals? I'm more neutral than most on Cooney, so that's a question I'm sincerely curious about.

Dude plays insane amount of minutes. That helps that stat.

Steals for our defense is an incredibly weird stat - it's virtually impossible not to get a ton if you're a guard. Cooney's steal per 40 minutes are actually amongst the lowest, it's more about minutes logged. If we have guys playing 30 minutes up top, they're going to be top 10 in steals. It's just one of those things with the zone.

Eh, 0% will agree with me, but I still think Patterson would have been just as good, and probably a better fit for these rosters as comprised over the past two seasons.

Couple of things here, and I'm not going to debate performance, but Mike and Trevor could of both said FU to SU after last year and went other places as "free agents" after the sanction year. They both were graduate players.

Heck maybe Trevor plays for Nova who is probably a better fit for his skill set there. I'll always be greatful they stuck around. As inconsistent as he was maybe we aren't even .500 without him. So as much as you want to be frustrated with him, and maybe even sometimes G, they didn't quit on us or JB. There's a ton to be said for that kind of loyalty.

This year is a bad year for Syracuse. This is our bottom out. Even DuKe, UNC, and UK have had losing season over the years. It's remarkable that JB can still put a competitive team on the floor even when he has been dealt a terrible hand. I have to think if he doesn't get suspended we are at 21-11 right now and comfortably in.

No it isn't. The only negative thing I have directed towards him was settling for a three...when the defender fell! That's prime time to drive. You cannot ask for a bigger opening in my opinion. You even answered your question... We had four guys around eachother. There was plenty of room to attack. Absolutely The clock played a role.

The inbound design made no sense. At all. Did we even attempt a screen at all?? How do you not even try?

I suspect that the shot clock not being normally visible was a factor in him shooting with 3 seconds left / not driving. Tough to fault him under that circumstance.

I suspect that the shot clock not being normally visible was a factor in him shooting with 3 seconds left / not driving. Tough to fault him under that circumstance.
Indeed