This one is on jb | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This one is on jb

I thought the game was lost in the first half tbh. Gillon turned into bad Scoop for an inch of possessions late.

Agreed. The game was exciting, but I never had the feeling we were going to pull it out. Too many mistakes and bad play.

Gillon truly bothered me tonight, like he did early season.

No idea after the TO that both battle and TT were not in for the final play. Sure Battle was sick but it was 7 seconds. 2 more scorers on the floor vs frank and TR.

i was thinking as i watched last night the 40 point game by gillon may have been a net negative thing.
confidence is indeed a great thing. but sometimes you slightly overestimate your abilities ...

122_0803_01_z%2bevel_knievel%2bmotorcycle_riding.jpg

I don't mind calling the TO if you're down. But when the game was tied at the end of the 2H, I definitely prefer to play that out. You're more likely to catch Louisville out of sorts, for sure.

i was thinking as i watched last night the 40 point game by gillon may have been a net negative thing.

It masks lots of problems obviously. Even JB mentioned in pressers that relying on coming back like that, good FT shooting, a Gillon-like performance is asking for trouble (paraphrasing).

Effort is nice. They fight hard at times, usually when their backs are against the wall. But, this team plays bad basketball. Effort and bad basketball can be mutually exclusive. Too many times they don't know what the hell they are doing out there both sides of the ball. This team is getting shot clock violations called on them against NC. St and Clemson. Certainly last night. Yes we can score a little more this season since the team has some good shooters. But, numbers are deceiving. KenPom has us 33 in AdjO . Clemson 30! Michigan 8! None of these teams are offensive juggernauts or anything. Let's not get into the defense.

confidence is indeed a great thing. but sometimes you slightly overestimate your abilities ...

122_0803_01_z%2bevel_knievel%2bmotorcycle_riding.jpg

Like that heroic 3 he swished in the clutch?

I disagree. Lydon did great things inside when he was given the opportunity. We need to make it a priority to figure out a way to get him the ball. Which means Gillon will have to give it up to Frank so that maybe he can get a pass over his defender.
I agree that Lydon needs to score inside and is capable. What I mean is that we are not a good interior scoring team. We can't get all of our points from behind the arc but if we aren't shooting well at all with our 4 capable shooters then we can't win against most teams. It really was amazing we were in the game at all the way we were shooting.

I agree that Lydon needs to score inside and is capable. What I mean is that we are not a good interior scoring team. We can't get all of our points from behind the arc but if we aren't shooting well at all with our 4 capable shooters then we can't win against most teams. It really was amazing we were in the game at all the way we were shooting.

So, if your normally reliable 3 point shooter is off, you dial him back, and you focus on getting the ball to the one guy who was actually effective. Well, that's what normal teams do. We just don't seem capable of making a decent entry pass with regularity.

So, if your normally reliable 3 point shooter is off, you dial him back, and you focus on getting the ball to the one guy who was actually effective. Well, that's what normal teams do. We just don't seem capable of making a decent entry pass with regularity.
Gillon is too small and I don't think has all that great of vision. He is doing the best he can but if we had Howard making the passes and playing the majority of the point guard minutes it would be a different situation. With Battle sick and White off we are just in a difficult situation. Who are you referring to when you say the one effective person. I felt like the whole team was pretty ineffective all night offensively.

Gillon is too small and I don't think has all that great of vision. He is doing the best he can but if we had Howard making the passes and playing the majority of the point guard minutes it would be a different situation. With Battle sick and White off we are just in a difficult situation. Who are you referring to when you say the one effective person. I felt like the whole team was pretty ineffective all night offensively.

Lydon inside was very effective last night. I'd love to see White feeding Lydon the ball inside. Or anyone really.

It's literally the only thing we do well
Which is ironic considering that the idea of college shooters being, on the whole, poor forms part of Boeheim's defensive philosophy.
I thought the game was lost in the first half tbh. Gillon turned into bad Scoop for an inch of possessions late.
It's very difficult to continually come back from double digit first half deficits. A couple of times, sure. Nearly every game? Not so much.

uhhh...no he didnt lose the game or get out coached. Unless he was responsible for the poor shooting or the inability to get an rebound. If he was responsible for those two things then fine.

Oy

I can't blame JB until we find out what's going on with Battle. If he could've played some minutes, then yea, I'm at a loss.

Defense and Offense got better in the 2nd half and we're a 3 point shooting team with 4 good shooters. Can't game plan for everyone having an off night from behind the arc.

Yes and no. Shooters shoot. 1 for 8 can quickly turn into a 7 for 15 night. I do agree that the rest of the offense is relatively ineffective. That's an issue.

Can't game plan for everyone having an off night from behind the arc.
I'm going to give some credit to the Louisville D. It's not coincidence that Syracuse had a poor three point shooting night against the 3rd best three-point defense in the country. Some shots looked wide open, but a lot of those seemingly gimmee shots were rushed and/or had a defender bearing down after a poor pass.

Lydon inside was very effective last night. I'd love to see White feeding Lydon the ball inside. Or anyone really.
I would love to see Lydon shoot the ball almost anywhere on the court. 11 shots in what was probably 45 minutes. He needs to shoot the ball and I'm fairly certain this has been brought to his attention. No more wide open slow motion shot fakes. I also think part of the problem is Lydon doesn't demand the ball.

I would love to see Lydon shoot the ball almost anywhere on the court. 11 shots in what was probably 45 minutes. He needs to shoot the ball and I'm fairly certain this has been brought to his attention. No more wide open slow motion shot fakes. I also think part of the problem is Lydon doesn't demand the ball.

And when he does, he doesn't get it.

He does demand the ball...

Where do people get this stuff from? He's waving his arms constantly when open.

probably 45 minutes ? the dude hasn't sat since his 1 minute off against UNC a month ago.

I thought the bigger issue last night related to rebounding...UL was man handling our guys on more than a few occassion's on their offensive glass. Add in a few shitty passes from White and Lydon and you get a heartbreaking loss to a top 10 team.

I am not sure why Fran Frashilla kept saying Gillon should drive more....the kid struggles to finish and seems to lack vision to drive and dish off.

I thought the bigger issue last night related to rebounding...UL was man handling our guys on more than a few occassion's on their offensive glass. Add in a few shitty passes from White and Lydon and you get a heartbreaking loss to a top 10 team.

I am not sure why Fran Frashilla kept saying Gillon should drive more...the kid struggles to finish and seems to lack vision to drive and dish off.

He got blocked twice on one attempt. I just don't understand his drives last night. A couple of them looked like he was under the basket jumping backwards trying to will the ball in.

Some relevant points on here. Between Battle, foul trouble, and an already thin bench (Coleman/Chukwu not an option), you can't really second guess it. Cuse had to go war with the remaining soldiers. It was a valiant effort to get to OT. It is disappointing because there were some bonehead lapses like White and Lydon's bad passes. Overall it seems like they need time to rest, and 5 days off will help.

Jim was off his game tonight. In fact he was almost horrible. I hope he had the flu as this has to go down as a top 20 poor coaching job. 5 for 25 and you dont stop the madness. Unreal. TT on fire and you dont feed him. JB had zero feel for his teams energy or the flow of the game. He was terrible tonight.

Since you seem to be an expert on what it means for JB to be "on his game". What should he have done differently?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom