This one is on jb | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This one is on jb

Some relevant points on here. Between Battle, foul trouble, and an already thin bench (Coleman/Chukwu not an option), you can't really second guess it. Cuse had to go war with the remaining soldiers. It was a valiant effort to get to OT. It is disappointing because there were some bonehead lapses like White and Lydon's bad passes. Overall it seems like they need time to rest, and 5 days off will help.

By the way, I believe I owe you an apology from the other day. I think we were talking about two different games altogether when I responded to you... My bad.

By the way, I believe I owe you an apology from the other day. I think we were talking about two different games altogether when I responded to you... My bad.
No worries. I was a little confused because I thought I didn't remember the play correctly too.

Jim was off his game tonight.

The last offensive play of regulation was Gillon driving to the basket. Assuming it was JB calling the play of having Gillon driving to the basket, then it was the right call in my opinion. Gillon was fouled in my opinion but there was no call. If the foul was called, and Gillon made the free throws, we would have won the game. How much different the conversation on this board would be if the Jack Donkey ref made the call.

The last offensive play of regulation was Gillon driving to the basket. Assuming it was JB calling the play of having Gillon driving to the basket, then it was the right call in my opinion. Gillon was fouled in my opinion but there was no call. If the foul was called, and Gillon made the free throws, we would have won the game. How much different the conversation on this board would be if the Jack Donkey ref made the call.

I think the point is that there are almost no referees in this country who actually make that call at that stage in the game. It sucks, but it's the reality.

I think the point is that there are almost no referees in this country who actually make that call at that stage in the game. It sucks, but it's the reality.

The very next game Kansas West Virginia with the exact same situation the call was made.

We have no one else to come in
I hear this all the time as a response when people criticize the short bench. If that's the case I can only conclude the coaching staff is terrible at assessing and developing talent. What you're saying is that nobody on our bench is as good as the kid Louisville had that looked like he was 12. I.E. a good enough basketball player to not cause the team to implode and give up a huge run merely by checking into the game for 2 or 3 minutes.

The very next game Kansas West Virginia with the exact same situation the call was made.

Was Kansas losing? That likely explains that one.

I'm not convinced he was fouled. He initiated contact in my mind.

That was more of a foul than Gillon's. As a matter of fact that was a 100% foul and had to be called as he initiated the contact.

Wait, was the call in favor of Kansas? If so, that both explains it, and makes the outcome of that game even more sickening to me than before(I stopped watching/rooting against KU, of course, at halftime)...almost as sickening as the outcome of our game. ugh, just when I thought I couldnt get any more riled!

He does demand the ball...

Where do people get this stuff from? He's waving his arms constantly when open.
At times he demands it but I don't think he demands it enough. I think the larger problem is Gillon is short and doesn't have great court vision. I already stated that earlier and acknowledge it a large problem. If you take 11 shots in 45 minutes of action and you are the most well rounded offensive player on your team then I think that speaks for its self to some degree.

I hear this all the time as a response when people criticize the short bench. If that's the case I can only conclude the coaching staff is terrible at assessing and developing talent. What you're saying is that nobody on our bench is as good as the kid Louisville had that looked like he was 12. I.E. a good enough basketball player to not cause the team to implode and give up a huge run merely by checking into the game for 2 or 3 minutes.
You always hear it because it's true. We have no bench because we either don't develop players or don't recruit the right ones. I think the second is more the case personally. If we had Monte Morris, Ja'Quan Newton and Jalen Bruson on this team we wouldn't have this problem. Battle could be sick, White couldn't hit the ocean and we could still have a guy out there over 6 feet tall delivering the ball to the post and running our offense. Sadly it's not the case because these kids wanted to come here and we said we have Kaleb Joseph, BJ Johnson and Ron Patterson so we are good.

So, if your normally reliable 3 point shooter is off, you dial him back, and you focus on getting the ball to the one guy who was actually effective. Well, that's what normal teams do. We just don't seem capable of making a decent entry pass with regularity.

I know... Why can't we make entry passes? It's funny, when they mentioned how much Pitino does individual work with each player, I wonder how much JB does that? Our HOF coach needs to teach some entry pass skills! :)

I'm sorry, but this has been eating at me. White is not our best player. He's our best scorer.

Fair enough. Point still stands though. The guy has been incredibly consistent in our streak of improved play. He finally had a bad game last night. With Battle mostly out and ineffective. On the surface, it's kind of amazing that the game was as close as it was given what we got out of those two.

I.E. a good enough basketball player to not cause the team to implode and give up a huge run merely by checking into the game for 2 or 3 minutes.
IMO, it's the defense that prevents players from being subbed in more frequently. If a kid isn't capable of playing the zone well, it causes all sorts of headaches. Better to just leave him out and ride the 4-5 guys who can play the D.

And yet, for all that, we had the chance to win at the end of regulation against the #8 team in the country.
yeah, but never should have called that timeout. Gillon driving the ball in an unsettled situation with the defense on its heels . . . instead he calls TO and draws up basically the same play that he just aborted, only now with Louisville having time to calm down and set their defense.

Let's review:

Cardinals: #8 in country
Pitino: Approaching 800 wins, 2NCs, former JB Protege, knows JB well
Cards Game Plan: Crash the boards, slow down transition game
Syracuse: Rebuilding year, can beat anyone, can lose to anyone, still a team nobody wants to play
Boeheim: 1000 wins (900 for NCAA - fill in the blank), 1 NC, most seasons with 20+ wins

After watching the game, the Cards did exactly what they had to do: Crash the boards AND slow down the transition game. JB loves transition and the team feeds off of the quick baskets. Our guys could not get long spurts with turn overs and forcing quick bad shots against the #8 team, and yet the went into O.T. The Cards are highly disciplined, as are our Orange. The fact remains that had our Orange hit a couple of shots - inside and/or outside - in the first 15 minutes of the game, the outcome would be different. Pitino is not afraid to let his kids run but he knew this would feed the Orange, he kept is slow to stop the Orange from getting into their best game; Pitino played the odds that a slow, low scoring game gave the Cards a better chance to win than playing into JB's hand of speed.

Credit where it is due: Pitino and the Cards. JB called a good game and the kids played hard. Recall, the Cards are #8 for a reason (they are good!) and Syracuse is not ranked for a reason (this is a rebuilding year). Going toe to toe with a top 10 team and taking them into overtime does not equate to bad coaching. we are spoiled as Orange fans and sometimes forget that even the Orange have to rebuild every now an then. This was a great game with two great coaches and two great teams. That our Orange lost does not make JB a bad coach.

Let's review:

Cardinals: #8 in country
Pitino: Approaching 800 wins, 2NCs, former JB Protege, knows JB well
Cards Game Plan: Crash the boards, slow down transition game
Syracuse: Rebuilding year, can beat anyone, can lose to anyone, still a team nobody wants to play
Boeheim: 1000 wins (900 for NCAA - fill in the blank), 1 NC, most seasons with 20+ wins

After watching the game, the Cards did exactly what they had to do: Crash the boards AND slow down the transition game. JB loves transition and the team feeds off of the quick baskets. Our guys could not get long spurts with turn overs and forcing quick bad shots against the #8 team, and yet the went into O.T. The Cards are highly disciplined, as are our Orange. The fact remains that had our Orange hit a couple of shots - inside and/or outside - in the first 15 minutes of the game, the outcome would be different. Pitino is not afraid to let his kids run but he knew this would feed the Orange, he kept is slow to stop the Orange from getting into their best game; Pitino played the odds that a slow, low scoring game gave the Cards a better chance to win than playing into JB's hand of speed.

Credit where it is due: Pitino and the Cards. JB called a good game and the kids played hard. Recall, the Cards are #8 for a reason (they are good!) and Syracuse is not ranked for a reason (this is a rebuilding year). Going toe to toe with a top 10 team and taking them into overtime does not equate to bad coaching. we are spoiled as Orange fans and sometimes forget that even the Orange have to rebuild every now an then. This was a great game with two great coaches and two great teams. That our Orange lost does not make JB a bad coach.

Wow... there is a ton here for me to counter, wish I had the time though.

yeah, but never should have called that timeout. Gillon driving the ball in an unsettled situation with the defense on its heels . . . instead he calls TO and draws up basically the same play that he just aborted, only now with Louisville having time to calm down and set their defense.
I almost posted the same thing earlier. I like that drive better with no TO, but with a set defense, meh.

With no timeout defense is prone to hunt the ball, and leave stuff open. Less likely after a set D, and JG ain't that great attacking.

Tyler Ulis is 5'9 and was probably the best all around PG last year in the country. He had no trouble feeding Towns, Poythress, or whomever in the post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom