This photo most clearly illustrates how dirty the hit on Dungey was | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This photo most clearly illustrates how dirty the hit on Dungey was

Just look at the progression of this hit. Defender wasn't even in the first pictureView attachment 50917View attachment 50918

Reminded me of this famous incident:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Bright_incident

johnnybright05.jpg

Embarrassing comments from their coach. As these pictures demonstrate, the hit was far from a "bang bang" type of play.

I would love to see a CMU fan come here and try to justify the hit.
Exactly.

Bang bang my arse.

He was about 9' away when Dungey released the ball.

Embarrassing.

That high low roll up.was intentional from three yrs out after he releases the ball, helmet to helmet and hands to the face

Purposeful and planned
the dude took like 4 steps after the ball was gone. plus he was ejected, how often do you see a guy get ejected? yet the cm board is like oh it was a bang-bang play. give me a break.

It’s 11:50 P.M. Having had to work today I just sat and watched over and over #44 Mitch Stanitzek, 6’4 - 245 the CMU head hunter that could have not only provided a concussion but fractured Eric’s vertebrae. IMO his coach should eliminate him from the team before he kills someone and/or himself, CMU should be fined and the coach put on probation for allowing a player to do something so stupid. Collegiate football has no room for players of his ilk. It seems a shame that we need to tolerate this type of play which damages players. Unfortunately the NCAA has no rules I know of to implement such a ruling.

One other thing struck me about this whole sordid episode of that vicious hit: it was a (high impact speed) head butt and even in professional boxing where the intent is to harm another person a (low impact speed) head butt is simply not allowed! Needless to say, a head butt is not allowed in football either - if you have any sense you know it will disqualify you from at least one game, and worse yet it could seriously injure someone else. You wouldn't want to go through life with that on your conscience - and one of the other posters here is right - in the NFL this would have resulted in a large fine and multi-game suspension.

Look at his posture, he is straight up. Not bearing down on the QB. He recognized a helpless QB and literally tried to take his head off. I understand a coach sticking up for his player, but in this case sticking up for that animal makes the whole program look bad. That was a bountygate type of hit.

There should be a rule in football that is part of the targeting penalty. IF targeting is determined, the offending player committing the penalty obviously should be ejected of course.

If the player that gets targeted, Dungey in this case, has to be taken out of the game the opposing team's player of the same position should also have to sit until such time that the targeted player can come back into the game.

You will see hits like this on QB's abruptly end overnight.

In our CMU game, it would mean Dungey out from injury, StaniJagoff and Rush both out remainder of the game.

Look at his posture, he is straight up. Not bearing down on the QB. He recognized a helpless QB and literally tried to take his head off. I understand a coach sticking up for his player, but in this case sticking up for that animal makes the whole program look bad. That was a bountygate type of hit.
If you watch in slow-motion, you can see 44 adjusting his height so he can hit Dungey's head as Dungey goes down. There is a point where Dungey is looking right at the guy.

If his coach stands up for that hit he should be ejected half the year. He couldn't evensay let me see the play a few more times before I make a decision? Instead Oh I am sure 44 did the right thing in that circumstance. Dungy could be paralyzed for life after that. And the fact his hands follow through at the neck made it look like he was attempting to snap it.

Meanwhile we have JB on the other board loosing 150 wins because at the boys and girls club josh wright got paid 100 dollars to work a scoreboard for a youth game behind his back, and because the school authorized Fab Melo to play? Who are they to take his wins away. Please give me a fn' break.

Anyone even remotely trying to justify the hit needs their own head examined. It was that bad. This wasn't a 50/50 or bang bang play.

This was as obvious as it gets. And this is coming from someone who almost always gives the defense the benefit of the doubt due to speed of the game and the offensive player often lowering their helmet too.

This is how you paralyze someone. And it's not an exaggeration. Look at the velocity of his neck snapping back.

If you want to feel worse about humanity, youtube search for football targeting and read the comments. Youtube comments are actually a good way to lose faith in humanity in general.

what did the coach say?

"It was one of those plays that was right on the wire," Bonamego said. "Mitch is a very aggressive guy, but he is not a dirty player. He's an outstanding young man. It's one of those thing that happens in a football game. "

But the coach agreed with the call in the end.

First it was not right on the wire as the guy came in from about 5 yards out after the release.Second, I think part of the game plan was to take a game changing hit on Dungey to take him out.It doesn't have to be that blatant though.

Reminds of Joe lafagged from Rutgers who took out the Maryland Q.B. a week before he took out Andrew Robinson with a forearm to the jaw. The Maryland's QB ended up with a broken jaw on the play and Robinson was kind of knocked out on his.

Last edited:
And one other thing - if this NCAA really wants to stop head and neck injuries (and also collect $$ from fines), they should levy about a $10,000 fine against either the school or coach in 1-AA (FCS) programs or about $20,000 in 1-A (FBS) programs - and in egregious cases like the one your QB had yesterday, the option should be to double that amount. Now I am not in favor of paying players beyond the scholarship and cost of living allowance and they don't have money, but almost all of those coaches are making big-time money compared to most of us here, and you will see how soon this $#*! stops when $$$ is involved!

Exactly.

Bang bang my arse.

He was about 9' away when Dungey released the ball.

Embarrassing.
Their coach needs to look at that play again. It was not bang bang. The CMU defender #8 sees that Dungey threw the ball away. He changes course to engage in the progress of the play. CMU #44 wants to go for game changing hit.

An interesting story - about 10 years later an incident occurred in a game between Ga Tech and Alabama which led Tech to leave the SEC. You get a different view on Paul "Bear" Bryant who was loved by some Southerners - and you gain a lot of respect for Bobby Dodd the man and Georgia Tech the program:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Dodd

"Dodd's tenure included Georgia Tech's withdrawal from the Southeastern Conference (SEC). The initial spark for Dodd's withdrawal was an historic feud with Alabama Crimson Tide Coach Bear Bryant.The feud began when Tech was playing the Tide at Legion Field in Birmingham in 1961. After a Tech punt, Alabama fair-caught the ball. Chick Graning of Tech was playing coverage and relaxed after the signal for the fair catch. Darwin Holt of Alabama continued play and smashed his elbow into Graning's face causing severe fracturing in his face, a broken nose, and blood-filled sinuses. Graning was knocked unconscious and suffered a severe concussion, the result of which left him unable to play football ever again. Dodd sent Bryant a letter asking Bryant to suspend Holt after game film indicated Holt had intentionally injured Graning. Bryant never suspended Holt. The lack of discipline infuriated Dodd and sparked Dodd's interest in withdrawing from the SEC. Georgia Tech lost that game, 10–0, and Alabama went on to win its first Associated Press national championship."

Easy to say but hard to do - having integrity yet losing is better than winning without it.

An interesting story - about 10 years later an incident occurred in a game between Ga Tech and Alabama which led Tech to leave the SEC. You get a different view on Paul "Bear" Bryant who was loved by some Southerners - and you gain a lot of respect for Bobby Dodd the man and Georgia Tech the program:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Dodd

"Dodd's tenure included Georgia Tech's withdrawal from the Southeastern Conference (SEC). The initial spark for Dodd's withdrawal was an historic feud with Alabama Crimson Tide Coach Bear Bryant.The feud began when Tech was playing the Tide at Legion Field in Birmingham in 1961. After a Tech punt, Alabama fair-caught the ball. Chick Graning of Tech was playing coverage and relaxed after the signal for the fair catch. Darwin Holt of Alabama continued play and smashed his elbow into Graning's face causing severe fracturing in his face, a broken nose, and blood-filled sinuses. Graning was knocked unconscious and suffered a severe concussion, the result of which left him unable to play football ever again. Dodd sent Bryant a letter asking Bryant to suspend Holt after game film indicated Holt had intentionally injured Graning. Bryant never suspended Holt. The lack of discipline infuriated Dodd and sparked Dodd's interest in withdrawing from the SEC. Georgia Tech lost that game, 10–0, and Alabama went on to win its first Associated Press national championship."

Easy to say but hard to do - having integrity yet losing is better than winning without it.

http://gtalumnimag.com/2011/02/the-day-tech-sports-changed-forever/

Here's an interview with Holt:
http://videos.al.com/al/2012/11/former_texas_am_and_alabama_li.html

Furman Bisher's famous editorial on the incident:
http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/wp-content/uploads/satevepost/satevepost-1962.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom