This place is turing into Syracuse.com | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This place is turing into Syracuse.com

I'm going to keep saying it until it sinks in - if you want a full Dome, you better have a team with some style points.

Putting on a show > really sincerely asking people to come to games.
This isn't a video game.

There are 12,000 empty seats in the Carrier Dome that suggest otherwise.

I'm really getting tired of how statements like that get tossed around. The fan isn't so simple minded. The fan is a sophisticated consumer. They should be treated as such. Any old product isn't good enough - if you want to attract fans you need to offer the best product.

Is the offense we trot out the best product we can? Judging it against the general landscape in college football right now I would have to say it is not.

My definition of putting on a show is playing high scoring aesthetic football. Due to the conditions in which we're privileged to play, I am not content with any offense that does that - I think we need to play to our institutional strengths and adopt a pass happy, high paced offense. Do fans even realize that we're the only BCS program lucky enough to play in the stable conditions of a Dome? The only one, and we leave so much benefit on the table by not playing to the strengths of a Dome.

Aesthetics?

If the fan is so sophisticated, they would realize that they are lucky enough to be one of the 65 or so places in the country that play BCS football. For you to say that this is any old product is simplistic. Like it or lump it, we've undergone a huge roster overhaul in the past couple of seasons, and that we're churning out wins and headed towards another bowl eligible year is a huge positive.

We have two with an emerging third upperclassmen at WR, an undersized RB, took on a few losses (Sales, PTG, I guess Timbers), a pretty average yet durable QB. And apparently a lot of kids not field-ready. Not sure what the sophisticated class is expecting with that.
Why should real world constraints ever enter into consideration?

This isn't a video game.

Do you not watch other teams play, or what? If anything, whats being done in WVU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and other places is more ridiculous than most video games.

Fine, whatever. Posts about posts suck. I'm not engaging anymore.
It wasn't about a particular post or poster, just the overall tone of the board.

Maybe someday when SU has 5 Calvin Johnson clones on the depth chart, you might see the pass happy offense you crave.

What in the name of the Saltine Warrior makes you think you need 5 Megatrons to have a pass happy offense? Who's saying that? I'm not saying that.

In the meantime, Marrone has to make do with the players he has and play to his personnel strenghts and weaknesses.

In year 3? He had to make a choice of what offense to institute, didn't he? Or has that not happened yet?

I know people have a hard time believing this, but you can put the system in place and then recruit the optimal talent.

The last coach tried to run an offense that he didn't have the right players for ... how'd that work out?
Back to comparing to Gump, huh?

Look, here's a real simple statement - if your argument revolves around comparing something to GRob, you've already lost.

How anyone cant be concerned is beyond me. We needed a last second field goal to beat a team that 2 weeks ago lost 45-6 to ARMY. Let that sink in for a minute. Freeking ARMY. Sorry this team has serious issues and to many respectable posters are whistling past the graveyard.

His argument is that SU doesn't have the players to make your video game version of what you want a realistic option if winning games is the goal. So, we are running an offense which the staff feels gives them the best chance to win.

No one is posting that they love the checkdowns, rollouts to the FB, etc...but if you watch the games expecting Air Coryell with this crew isn't realistic.

This isn't a video game.
Do you not watch other teams play, or what? If anything, whats being done in WVU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and other places is more ridiculous than most video games.
The video game defense is one of the most ridiculous comebacks of all time.

It's not about video games, it's about what other people are successful doing.

Why should real world constraints ever enter into consideration?
You can't control real world constraints, so why worry about them?

Control the things you can control. I would argue that our program is not doing all that it can in that regard.

I know what the word means. On the hierarchy of things to be concerned with, it's at the bottom.
Then by all means, be content with a half-full venue.

In a strange way I find it refreshing that fans complain about the wins. Do I think some are crazy? Sure, and cleary I'd be right. But we are a winning program again and have expectations.

This place isn't turning into syracuse.com, read one thread under any article and tell me this place isn't 5 million times more realistic and readable. Couple dead branches aren't killing the tree.

There's concern that we can't keep winning these types of games, and losing to Rutgers made people remember that. And yes, it can be frustrating watching WVU's offense go from pedestrian to incredible in one year with the same players and then hearing, it's the talent not the coaching. Umm, say huh? Do people type that with a straight face?
Do you honestly think there is not a talent gap between the offensive players on WVU vs us? Really? If you have talent you can see the improvement but we have average (at best) all around our offensive talent

Then by all means, be content with a half-full venue.

The venue's pricing is out of whack, but that's a different story.

People post here about 2003. Team went 10-3, won a lot of ugly games. WON. We have shot at 5-2 with a nationally televised game coming up, and people are really sour.

His argument is that SU doesn't have the players to make your video game version of what you want a realistic option if winning games is the goal.

How do we know that's true?

So, we are running an offense which the staff feels gives them the best chance to win.

I think that's a true statement in year one. Year three? Eh.

No one is posting that they love the checkdowns, rollouts to the FB, etc...but if you watch the games expecting Air Coryell with this crew isn't realistic.
I would argue that if the coaches decided that they wanted to speed up the offensive attack and go more aerial with the crew they have that they could do so.

The video game defense is one of the most ridiculous comebacks of all time.

It's not about video games, it's about what other people are successful doing.
SMU SMU SMU

if they can do it, so can we.

meathead 2001 the air raid is a goofy gimmick that only joke programs use, no real school would use it, you nerd
meathead 2011 you need great talent to run the air raid, we couldn't possibly do that video game stuff, you nerd.

People post here about 2003. Team went 10-3, won a lot of ugly games. WON. We have shot at 5-2 with a nationally televised game coming up, and people are really sour.
The venue's pricing is out of whack GIVEN THE PRODUCT ON THE FIELD. You're the one that said that fans should appreciate that we're one of only 65 BCS programs. Clearly being just a BCS program isn't enough.

I believe if it were more exciting you would see people attending games more often and filling the Dome, and maybe, maybe you could even raise the prices.

SMU SMU SMU

if they can do it, so can we.

meathead 2001 the air raid is a goofy gimmick that only joke programs use, no real school would use it, you nerd
meathead 2011 you need great talent to run the air raid, we couldn't possibly do that video game stuff, you nerd.
Well said.

Year Three. Exactly. 2.5 recuiting classes under Marrone's belt. The upperclass ranks for reasons that were driven into the ground here really don't exist on offense. So we have 2 with an emerging 3rd guy at WR. One guy who is skinnier than Tony Scott. That's it. West, Foster, whomever aren't all there yet. We have a durable QB who really struggles with accuracy issues. The rest are true and rs frosh who clearly are not ready. Now if in time when Marrone has real depth by class and we're seeing the fullback toss as the bread and butter then sure, I get it.

I always thought it was easier to teach and excel at defense at this level anyway.

The venue's pricing is out of whack GIVEN THE PRODUCT ON THE FIELD. You're the one that said that fans should appreciate that we're one of only 65 BCS programs. Clearly being just a BCS program isn't enough.

I believe if it were more exciting you would see people attending games more often and filling the Dome, and maybe, maybe you could even raise the prices.

No, it's out of whack due to the economy and the actual venue. The worst seats are still really good, the best seats aren't THAT MUCH BETTER than the worst seats for the multiplier of cost. Why pay thousands of dollars to sit at midfield when you can throw a tennisball and hit someone paying $99 for the year?

I think you mean 2001. I don't remember any of these wins to be ugly, the Auburn game in particular

9-22-01 AUBURN WON 31-14
9-29-01 EAST CAROLINA** WON 44-30
10-6-01 at Rutgers WON 24-17
10-13-01 at Pittsburgh WON 42-10
10-20-01 TEMPLE WON 45-3
10-27-01 at Virginia Tech WON 22-14
11-10-01 WEST VIRGINIA (HC) WON 24-13

The other major difference 2001 vs 2011:

We were beating AUBURN AND @VaTech.
Now we are squeezing by RHODE ISLAND at HOME and @Tulane by 3 pts

If you don't understand the difference...not much else to say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom