This season was incredibly disappointing | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

This season was incredibly disappointing

It's a new age Townie. Instead of yelling at TV screens and our wives, we vent online. It's better for our marriages and electronics.

Do what I do. Take a walk. Attempt to be philosophical about it.

But this "wishing he could be gone sooner than later" is based upon either thinking he is the problem or that Hop is the answer. Both of these are IMO dead wrong.
Wrong on both accounts.

The sooner JB leaves the sooner Hop takes over... and the sooner we find out if Hop is head coach material... or we clean house for a national search. No matter how you slice it, the longer the waft of old man smell hangs around, the longer we drag out this uncertainty.

Do what I do. Take a walk. Attempt to be philosophical about it.
I'd rather discuss it with like minded individuals who support a team from a distance. Philosophically speaking...

Ridiculous overstatement.

JB is gone after next year from everything I have read quoting those in the SU hierarchy.

But this "wishing he could be gone sooner than later" is based upon either thinking he is the problem or that Hop is the answer. Both os these are IMO dead wrong.

How can you say either with such certainty?

I'm pretty sure JB has to be part of the problem, whether it's his actual coaching/system or it's the questions about the transition or it's his lack of getting out on the recruiting trail, etc...Should he be kicked to the curb? Absolutely not. But to say that he isn't a part of where we are right now is pretty off, IMO. We're where we are because of a lot of issues, and JB is apart of those issues.

I don't know if Hop will be the answer, but I certainly know you can't say it is wrong to say he is the answer at this point. We have to wait and see, and hopefully he is the answer and does a fantastic job as HC.

If JB said today that he'd prefer to stay until this year's frosh graduate, would you support that?

JB's replacement, no matter how good he is, will not get better results than JB would have.

But hypotheticals are not worth responding to because they are stated to give your opponent a path for their argument.

Wrong on both accounts.

The sooner JB leaves the sooner Hop takes over... and the sooner we find out if Hop is head coach material... or we fire Hop and clean house for a national search. No matter how you slice it, the longer the waft of old man smell hangs around, the longer we drag out this uncertainty.
That is how you talk about one of the greatest coaches of all-time and certainly the GOAT at SU?

LOL What?????? You mean if we win the National Championship, you will consider this a bad season? LOL Was last season a success?

Was my statement true or false? Answer my question and then I'll answer yours

I'd rather discuss it with like minded individuals who support a team from a distance. Philosophically speaking...

This supporting a team "from a distance", I'm curious about that as a concept.

Is this where you say the coach is no good, the player's are no good, the offensive scheme is no good, the defensive scheme is no good and I'm unhappy because we lost?

Oh, yes, and I forgot, "The coach is mean to reporters"

How can you say either with such certainty?

I'm pretty sure JB has to be part of the problem, whether it's his actual coaching/system or it's the questions about the transition or it's his lack of getting out on the recruiting trail, etc...Should he be kicked to the curb? Absolutely not. But to say that he isn't a part of where we are right now is pretty off, IMO. We're where we are because of a lot of issues, and JB is apart of those issues.

I don't know if Hop will be the answer, but I certainly know you can't say it is wrong to say he is the answer at this point. We have to wait and see, and hopefully he is the answer and does a fantastic job as HC.

How can you say this with such certainty:

"I'm pretty sure JB has to be part of the problem"

What "problem" is that?

Not enough wins to satisfy you?

LOL What?????? You mean if we win the National Championship, you will consider this a bad season? LOL Was last season a success?

If we somehow went on a miraculous run and won a national title, it would be incredible and I would probably cry. But if you viewed this season's body of work objectively as a predictor of future success, it would still be a mediocre season. We lost 14 games, and it could have been 17 if not for a few miraculous shots.

JB's replacement, no matter how good he is, will not get better results than JB would have.

But hypotheticals are not worth responding to because they are stated to give your opponent a path for their argument.

Well, considering you are viewing the entire body of work, I concede that point. No division 1 school will ever have a head coach stay for that period of time. Heck, I imagine half the time would be HoF worthy.

But if you chop that down to the last five years, then we might have a discussion.

If we somehow went on a miraculous run and won a national title, it would be incredible and I would probably cry. But if you viewed this season's body of work objectively as a predictor of future success, it would still be a mediocre season. We lost 14 games, and it could have been 17 if not for a few miraculous shots.

How you feeling about Kansas after that loss to TCU ;-)?

This supporting a team "from a distance", I'm curious about that as a concept.

Is this where you say the coach is no good, the player's are no good, the offensive scheme is no good, the defensive scheme is no good and I'm unhappy because we lost?

Oh, yes, and I forgot, "The coach is mean to reporters"

The coach is particularly mean to student reporters.

The rest is all debatable among folks who watch regularly.

I enjoy watching Syracuse play. If I didn't, I wouldn't watch it.
Sounds like the definition of a fair-weather fan. I think it's far more authentic to say that this program has been a mediocre mess for 3-4 years now. Some real bright spots here and there but we've generally been on a depressing trajectory. If you've truly enjoyed these 13+ loss seasons then please let us know what meds you're on.

I've DVR'd my fair share of games over the past few years - mostly because I have young children who operate on their own schedules - but I'm also not ashamed to say I've fast-forwarded through a LOT of crap late at night and saved myself a lot of time and tempered those morning-after emotional hangovers. The investment that we make as fans requires some degree of entertainment and enjoyment. Most of us are willing to ride out the current lows because history says they are temporary swings on the pendulum. But make no mistake, if this mediocrity continues for much longer, the fan base will respond accordingly. It's really unfortunate that Hop is inheriting a program in such a malaise - it puts an almost unfair pressure on him to right the ship immediately.

Wrong on both accounts.

The sooner JB leaves the sooner Hop takes over... and the sooner we find out if Hop is head coach material... or we clean house for a national search. No matter how you slice it, the longer the waft of old man smell hangs around, the longer we drag out this uncertainty.

Well, that certainly shows where you are on this.

Of course Hop can fail and so could his replacement. In fact, it's likely that they cannot return SU to it's glory years.

And SU could spiral down and become generally non-competitive in the ACC. We could easily become BC.

Once these programs start going in the wrong direction, its very difficult to turn them around. Just ask the Georgetown and UConn fans.

It will be interesting Sunday. If we do make the field half of the people here claiming the complete failure of our coaches, players, and program at large will probably be the first with the CAKE WALK TO THE SWEET 16!!!1!! type posts and/or be pissed off if we get beat by a 2 seed.

Was my statement true or false? Answer my question and then I'll answer yours
You didn't ask a question. You made a statement. And the answer is after the season I will tell you whether it was a success or not. Now answer mine. Was last season a success?

You didn't ask a question. You made a statement. And the answer is after the season I will tell you whether it was a success or not. Now answer mine. Was last season a success?

You've answered my question then. You're banking on a run- if we make the tournament- to salvage the season. And I followed my statement with a question in my next post.

Was the 2009-2010 season a disappointment? F NO! Did it end in a disappointing manner? Sure did.

Big difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom