This season was incredibly disappointing | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

This season was incredibly disappointing

JB's replacement, no matter how good he is, will not get better results than JB would have.
Wow. Just wow. You truly believe that nobody on this earth can do better than 18-13 with the Melo Center, huge fan support, ACC revenue and the largest on campus arena?

This is such a defeatist attitude. What's wrong with you man? This inferiority complex should be a criminal offense worthy of extradition to Piscataway.

You've answered my question then. You're banking on a run- if we make the tournament- to salvage the season. And I followed my statement with a question in my next post.

Was the 2009-2010 season a disappointment? F NO! Did it end in a disappointing manner? Sure did.

Big difference.
2009 2010 of course wasn't a disappointment. Neither was last year. Both were successes in my book. now, was last year a success? Yes or No?

Wow. Just wow. You truly believe that nobody on this earth can do better than 18-13 with the Melo Center, huge fan support, ACC revenue and the largest on campus arena?

This is such a defeatist attitude. What's wrong with you man? This inferiority complex should be a criminal offense worthy of extradition to Piscataway.
A confluence of events. First, our coach has got old. I don't know that anyone could have done better over the last 42 years. But he is at the end of the line and that has hurt our recruiting. No doubt in my mind about that. The coach and his top ass't and heir apparent working on the pics has hurt the program. G-mac was forced to go head to head with much more experienced recruiters and he was not up to the task. the sanctions have hurt us more than most here know. That was their intentions so good for them. I happen to agree with you that with all that we offer, we should be recruiting a lot better than we are. These are some of the factors that have really hurt us.

2009 2010 of course wasn't a disappointment. Neither was last year. Both were successes in my book. now, was last year a success? Yes or No?
Last year unexpectedly ended up as a success, correct.

You've answered my question then. You're banking on a run- if we make the tournament- to salvage the season. And I followed my statement with a question in my next post.

Was the 2009-2010 season a disappointment? F NO! Did it end in a disappointing manner? Sure did.

Big difference.
Banking ona run or waiting to see the final results before making a final judgment? Sometimes you can make an early judgment. 2012 for example. Other times you can't. 1996 became a great season after the tournament results.

Last year unexpectedly ended up as a success, correct.
What is the unexpectedly about? The season was a success. PERIOD. It doesn't become unexpectedly to fit a narrative. At the start of any season, if we make the final four at the end of that season, I am going to call it a great success.

And you believe that some unidentified ideal candidate could do better.

But the reality is that they almost always do worse. UNC had to go through a couple of coaches before they got Roy Williams.

SU BB could easily become SU football and even SU lacrosse ain't what it was.

Expectations are the problem.

Syracuse Basketball is more fun when you just assume we'll be in the mix in the ACC and nationally. Getting too up preseason leads to these kind of "8th seed in the ACC tourney isn't good enough" and "sure FF's are nice, but last year was largely a failure" BS posts.

Syracuse BB has been remarkably steady for 30 years. Treating every slight downturn as the end of the world is junk. When JAB retires, we can enter freak out mode looking at every loss and less-than-perfect season as a sign of something more.

(side note that no one probably cares about - I post primarily on the FB side. It's much more fun looking for signs that the remarkably consistent suckiness turns around than it is to be here where expectations are so high that every sign is a road marker to the imminent basketball apocalypse. And I like both sports pretty much equally)

Expectations are the problem.

Syracuse Basketball is more fun when you just assume we'll be in the mix in the ACC and nationally. Getting too up preseason leads to these kind of "8th seed in the ACC tourney isn't good enough" and "sure FF's are nice, but last year was largely a failure" BS posts.

Syracuse BB has been remarkably steady for 30 years. Treating every slight downturn as the end of the world is junk. When JAB retires, we can enter freak out mode looking at every loss and less-than-perfect season as a sign of something more.

(side note that no one probably cares about - I post primarily on the FB side. It's much more fun looking for signs that the remarkably consistent suckiness turns around than it is to be here where expectations are so high that every sign is a road marker to the imminent basketball apocalypse. And I like both sports pretty much equally)
Great and accurate post

What is the unexpectedly about? The season was a success. PERIOD. It doesn't become unexpectedly to fit a narrative. At the start of any season, if we make the final four at the end of that season, I am going to call it a great success.

Never mind. You've got this built into your head so there's no reason for me to continue. People here know what I'm talking about. Best to just agree to disagree here.

What was more unexpected- our F4 run or trump winning LOL

Never mind. You've got this built into your head so there's no reason for me to continue. People here know what I'm talking about. Best to just agree to disagree here.

What was more unexpected- our F4 run or trump winning LOL
trump winning. I didn't believe that many people were stupid. How stupid of me? After reading this board for years, I should have known better.

Here is a scary thought. When JB retires and we have Hop (or any other coach), the times when we lose, or get knocked out of the ACC Tourney, or have a miss on a recruit, etc. All of those are going to generate chaos like we've never seen here. At least in today's world, while we might have our quibbles with JB, we essentially all know he is a great coach and that he knows what he is doing. Again - not that we all think he is perfect, but he has a track record that proves he can recruit, he can teach, he can coach in game, and he can win at the very highest levels. So realistically the problem when we get into meltdown mode is bounded. But when we have a new coach, it will open up an entirely new degree of freedom on our freak outs. Maybe this coach totally sucks? Maybe he doesn't know the first thing about what he is doing? Maybe he is killing the program from the inside out? Man, when you look at this thread as an example of the type of existential crisis we are capable of without that variable, imagine what it will be with it!

Attribute it to poor point guard play, immaturity and a no leadership from the players on the roster. Add all of those and you get what you currently have; hoping that they get in, players who show up to play when they feel like it and an inability to play away from home.

Wrong on both accounts.

The sooner JB leaves the sooner Hop takes over... and the sooner we find out if Hop is head coach material... or we clean house for a national search. No matter how you slice it, the longer the waft of old man smell hangs around, the longer we drag out this uncertainty.
That reads like the product of a genetic engineering disaster involving Tristy, BlueCurtain and Iggy.

For the first 14 games of the season I thought this was the by far the worst JB team and the worst SU team since before the Boeheim era. From that point they have actually played a lot of close exciting games and won most of those close ones.So we had something to cheer about. If we don't get in the NCAAT (and it doesn't look good) it will go down in history as a huge failure. Let's see if we can win the NIT -- just hope we don't run into a team with huge bruisers nobody ever heard of who turn out to be NBA power forwards who crush on the boards and knock us out.

A confluence of events. First, our coach has got old. I don't know that anyone could have done better over the last 42 years. But he is at the end of the line and that has hurt our recruiting. No doubt in my mind about that. The coach and his top ass't and heir apparent working on the pics has hurt the program. G-mac was forced to go head to head with much more experienced recruiters and he was not up to the task. the sanctions have hurt us more than most here know. That was their intentions so good for them. I happen to agree with you that with all that we offer, we should be recruiting a lot better than we are. These are some of the factors that have really hurt us.

"All that we can offer"???

In comparing SU to schools here in DC like Maryland or Georgetown, these schools have tremendous advantages over SU starting with their location, particularly if you are recruiting kids from urban areas.

I'd say that SU's basketball success has been largely improbable. It's been like those airplanes that fly even though physics says they should not.

If you go by JB's own words, "this could be one of the best teams we've ever had", then yup,
it's a disappointment. Preseason, I thought this team could've booked their tickets to Phoenix
in advance. Maybe they can get there, but I'm not counting on it.

Long term, there was a comment on Nunes about how JB is "... continually excelling in a
very competitive conference". Well, I don't see how this is excelling:

2013-2014 28-6 (overall), 14-4 (in conference) 0-1 in the tourney
2014-2015 18-13, 9-9, no tourney
2015-2016 23-14, 9-9, 0-1 (were 19-13 pre-NCAA)
2016-2017 18-14, 10-8, 0-1

That's a decline. I'd liked 28-6 better, or the four prior to that, where the average was 30-7.
Does it mean JB's the problem and has to go? No, he can do some things to fix whatever
needs it, cuz that's what a HoF coach should be able to do. However, we see another crappy
season, and maybe the view changes to something like "WAS great, not is."

Kev

In comparing SU to schools here in DC like Maryland or Georgetown, these schools have tremendous advantages over SU starting with their location, particularly if you are recruiting kids from urban areas.

I'd say that SU's basketball success has been largely improbable. It's been like those airplanes that fly even though physics says they should not.

Syracuse was winning games before Boeheim. You act like our success started with him. It did not. He took over an up and coming program.

As far as Georgetown goes, IDK why any recruit for basketball would want to go there. They don't even play on campus and their fanbase is non existent anymore. The Verizon Center has to be one of the worst home court advantages in D1. I think you need to get out of your beltway bubble.

For the first 14 games of the season I thought this was the by far the worst JB team and the worst SU team since before the Boeheim era. From that point they have actually played a lot of close exciting games and won most of those close ones.So we had something to cheer about. If we don't get in the NCAAT (and it doesn't look good) it will go down in history as a huge failure. Let's see if we can win the NIT -- just hope we don't run into a team with huge bruisers nobody ever heard of who turn out to be NBA power forwards who crush on the boards and knock us out.

"If we don't get in the NCAAT (and it doesn't look good) it will go down in history as a huge failure."

Why?

Because it didn't live up to what turned out to be unrealistic and /or unfounded high expectations?

Because it didn't live up to what SU fans were accustomed to?

It was a learning experience for many. Good players --- and guys like Gillon and White have shown they were good individual players through the season --- don't always mean they produce good teams.

Syracuse was winning games before Boeheim. You act like our success started with him. It did not. He took over an up and coming program.

As far as Georgetown goes, IDK why any recruit for basketball would want to go there. They don't even play on campus and their fanbase is non existent anymore. The Verizon Center has to be one of the worst home court advantages in D1. I think you need to get out of your beltway bubble.
Just like people have pictures of JFK in the houses he has a picture of Jim Boeheim. As only JB could have made us a national power.

I just watched Requiem for the Big East last night again and it made it clear how the BE, ESPN AND Pearl helped us become a national power as much as the coach. As every original BE team made the Final Four in the 80's except UConn.

Which airplanes are those?

I beg to differ.

We couldn't score against South Carolina, UConn and Wisconsin. Even the St. John's disaster was more than just our defense and quitting.

We fell behind in nearly every ACC game because our offense is horrendous in the half court. We literally had to get down double digits numerous times just to make any changes and speed up the tempo.

While the scoring #'s may not be so bad overall, our offense was an absolute cause of many of our losses. Many times that was coupled with poor D, but the bad offense was a major part.

Indeed! I posted the same sentiment a few pages back.

"If we don't get in the NCAAT (and it doesn't look good) it will go down in history as a huge failure."

Why?

Because it didn't live up to what turned out to be unrealistic and /or unfounded high expectations?

Because it didn't live up to what SU fans were accustomed to?

It was a learning experience for many. Good players --- and guys like Gillon and White have shown they were good individual players through the season --- don't always mean they produce good teams.

Yeah, those people with unrealistic high expectations... Wish they had been a bit more reserved with that.

Boeheim - This Is The Best I've Felt About A Team In Four-To-Five Years

“I probably haven’t felt this good about a team since we had Scoop Jardine, Dion Waiters, and Fab Melo during the 2011-12 season,” Boeheim said at Syracuse’s practice on Tuesday. “We’ve got size. We’ve got length. We’ve got shooting. We can play big or we can play small. We’ve got options.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom