This season was incredibly disappointing | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

This season was incredibly disappointing

Syracuse was winning games before Boeheim. You act like our success started with him. It did not. He took over an up and coming program.

As far as Georgetown goes, IDK why any recruit for basketball would want to go there. They don't even play on campus and their fanbase is non existent anymore. The Verizon Center has to be one of the worst home court advantages in D1. I think you need to get out of your beltway bubble.

On your points:

SU did do some winning prior to JB. I was on campus. But that was against Penn State, Colgate, Canisius and St Bonaventure.

And when you wake up on a Saturday morning on the GU campus you are a few blocks from M Street and a cab ride from the Howard campus. When you wake up on a Saturday morning in Skytop, you are in Syracuse, NY.

And if you can tolerate a little longer commute to downtown DC you can go to Maryland and play before much larger crowds.

One of us is looking through tinted glasses and its not me.

Syracuse is a snowy, isolated place and SU basketball success has been in spite of all the advantages other larger schools in better locations have.

Yeah, those people with unrealistic high expectations... Wish they had been a bit more reserved with that.

Boeheim - This Is The Best I've Felt About A Team In Four-To-Five Years

“I probably haven’t felt this good about a team since we had Scoop Jardine, Dion Waiters, and Fab Melo during the 2011-12 season,” Boeheim said at Syracuse’s practice on Tuesday. “We’ve got size. We’ve got length. We’ve got shooting. We can play big or we can play small. We’ve got options.”

Sounds like a coaching problem Popcorn and soda

On your points:

SU did do some winning prior to JB. I was on campus. But that was against Penn State, Colgate, Canisius and St Bonaventure.

And when you wake up on a Saturday morning on the GU campus you are a few blocks from M Street and a cab ride from the Howard campus. When you wake up on a Saturday morning in Skytop, you are in Syracuse, NY.

And if you can tolerate a little longer commute to downtown DC you can go to Maryland and play before much larger crowds.

Syracuse is a snowy, isolated place and SU basketball success has been in spite of all the advantages other larger schools in better locations have.
If it's all about larger schools in better locations winning please tell me why Arizona State isn't a dominant team?
Largest school in the nation in a great location.

Syracuse basketball benefited from
Dave Gavitt.

Gavitt realized the Northeast was a hole and he thought of the Big East to fill that hole.

John Thompson when he won the 1984 NC was most proud that he was bringing the NC back to the Northeast.

We have a HOF coach who had the Dome and ESPN to help us become a national program. We still have the Dome and we are the top conference. We can recruit the hotbeds as well.

Our philosophy isn't to go for skill right now it's to go for length and athleticism.

Just like people have pictures of JFK in the houses he has a picture of Jim Boeheim. As only JB could have made us a national power.

I just watched Requiem for the Big East last night again and it made it clear how the BE, ESPN AND Pearl helped us become a national power as much as the coach. As every original BE team made the Final Four in the 80's except UConn.

You are right.

It was the Big East and ESPN and stars like the Pearl.

And it was JB.

But after next year, JB is gone.

We are now in a tougher top to bottom conference. The old Big East is gone.

ESPN is dying, but it doesn't matter because there were so many channels broadcasting basketball now that ESPN could go away and it would hardly matter. SU vs. Georgetown on Big Monday was the only game on. Now there are many.

And as a result, the future is very murky. And those that think Hop or some unnamed new wonder child coach is going to automatically right the ship are living in a fantasy world.

"All that we can offer"???

In comparing SU to schools here in DC like Maryland or Georgetown, these schools have tremendous advantages over SU starting with their location, particularly if you are recruiting kids from urban areas.

I'd say that SU's basketball success has been largely improbable. It's been like those airplanes that fly even though physics says they should not.
Really? We have a great practice facility. We have a court that seats 30k+ We play in a top conference. G-town has none of that.

On your points:

We've had a winning record every decade besides the 60's when we were 6-41 in 2 seasons under Mike Guley. Basketball was a regional sport for everyone back then. 1 teams from each conference made the tournament and the conferences were different. The ACC was a regional conference at one point. South Carolina was in it.

I don't get your point about the crowds especially when we finish 1 or 2 in attendance every year. What's so special about Maryland or Georgetown for a kid from Philly/NYC or Mass all within a 3-4 hour drive?

If it was about location why has Michigan State been good for multiple coaches? Louisville? Kansas? Kentucky?

Why isn't USC a better program? Florida State? Miami? Why did San Francisco fall off a map? St. Johns can play in the best arena in the world and they have been bad for 15 years now.

Here's a hint. It's about the fan's, the boosters, and the university backing them. That's why BC sucks. BC has a great campus, but their administration doesn't care about sports and the fans have all but dwindled.

Last edited:
If it's all about larger schools in better locations winning please tell me why Arizona State isn't a dominant team?

Dave Gavitt.

Gavitt realized the Northeast was a hole and he thought of the Big East to fill that hole.

John Thompson when he won the 1984 NC was most proud that he was bringing the NC back to the Northeast.

We have a HOF coach who had the Dome and ESPN to help us become a national program. We still have the Dome and we are the top conference. We can recruit the hotbeds as well.

Our philosophy isn't to go for skill right now it's to go for length and athleticism.

Well, as you point out constantly, we are pretty mediocre in spite of having the Dome and being in the ACC.

You think the problem is the coaching. If you are wrong, SU will be back in Manley in a couple of years. You don't need to heat and light the Dome for 8,000 people.

Dave Gavitt.

We went to the final four before the Big East. we were a power before the Big east. Some of us were around for that. We lived through it. We beat UNC to go to the final four in '75 (actually to get to K State who we beat to go to the final four. We beat the Ville at the Ville in '77. We beat Tenn and Bernie and Ernie in '77. We went to New Mexico in '77 /'78 season and won when no one won there. We came home and beat Mich st and magic johnson. We did all that and more before Gavitt and the Big east and the Carrier Dome. Oh, and john Thompson cared about John Thompson and G-town. He couldn't care less about the Big East or the northeast back then. No matter what what he might say now. His program was always totally disrespectful to gavitt's Big east back then. They showed up late for every banquet. History is what it is. Not what someone can make up what it is.

Well, as you point out constantly, we are pretty mediocre in spite of having the Dome and being in the ACC.

You think the problem is the coaching. If you are wrong, SU will be back in Manley in a couple of years. You don't need to heat and light the Dome for 8,000 people.

Interesting

Really? We have a great practice facility. We have a court that seats 30k+ We play in a top conference. G-town has none of that.

GU now has a great practice facility and 22K at the Dome (which is what we actually draw)

GU is in Washington DC. SU is in Syracuse, NY. If you don't appreciate the difference between those two places, than I can't help you.

Maryland is in College Park, Maryland and close to a Metro station.

I think JB unwillingness to adapt is hurting him.
Watch Coach K. Duke was getting shredded by Louisville in man to man so he switched to zone and came back.
JB won't switch he will die by the zone. The guy hasn't changed an offense which has pathetic for 5 years. Why it isn't better falls no where but on the coaches.

These complaints are the brunt of my frustration. We let the opponent dictate tempo. It's not going to change next year with JB so give me Hop.

GU now has a great practice facility and 22K at the Dome (which is what we actually draw)

GU is in Washington DC. SU is in Syracuse, NY. If you don't appreciate the difference between those two places, than I can't help you.

GU is in the Big east and on Fox which no one watches. We play in the ACC and on ESPN. If you don't know the difference between the two, I can't help you. If you are saying that G=town has more advantages than Syracuse, you are wrong.

Georgetown can't get 10k in the Verizon Center. Their alums buy tickets and don't go.
That program hasn't made the sweet 16 in a decade.

I think JB unwillingness to adapt is hurting him.
Watch Coach K. Duke was getting shredded by Louisville in man to man so he switched to zone and came back.
JB won't switch he will die by the zone. The guy hasn't changed an offense which has pathetic for 5 years. Why it isn't better falls no where but on the coaches.

These complaints are the brunt of my frustration. We let the opponent dictate tempo. It's not going to change next year with JB so give me Hop.
there is a 30 second shot clock. The clock dictates tempo.

Dasher vs townie in a steel cage at next month's wrestlemania

Hell, let's at the nature boy ric flair into that and see these old timers battle it out

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I didn't even know I was in a match. the idea that G-town has more advantages than us by virtue of location alone is short sighted in my opinion. Otherwise, the NYC schools would be dominant as well.

We went to the final four before the Big East. we were a power before the Big east. Some of us were around for that. We lived through it. We beat UNC to go to the final four in '75 (actually to get to K State who we beat to go to the final four. We beat the Ville at the Ville in '77. We beat Tenn and Bernie and Ernie in '77. We went to New Mexico in '77 /'78 season and won when no one won there. We came home and beat Mich st and magic johnson. We did all that and more before Gavitt and the Big east and the Carrier Dome. Oh, and john Thompson cared about John Thompson and G-town. He couldn't care less about the Big East or the northeast back then. No matter what what he might say now. His program was always totally disrespectful to gavitt's Big east back then. They showed up late for every banquet. History is what it is. Not what someone can make up what it is.
Just an FYI he said in the postgame of the 1984 NC.
He thanked Dave Gavitt and was happy to bring the NC back to the Northeast for the first time in 35 years.
He wasn't being nostalgic.

Our power program in 1974-75.

Our finish reminds me of George Mason and Florida Gulf Coast.

Dasher is suffering from selective amnesia in which he remembers the NCAAT and forgets losses to Penn State.

OPPONENT
Buffalo W
Cornell W
Army W
St. John's W
Providence L
Penn State W
Georgetown L
Rochester W
Pittsburgh W
Bowling Green W
Northeastern W
American W
Temple W
Boston College L
Penn State L
LaSalle W
St Bonaventure W
Rutgers L
West Virginia L
Colgate W
Canisius L
George Washington W
Niagara W
Manhattan W
Fordham W
Niagara W
St Bonaventure W
LaSalle W
North Carolina W
Kansas State W
Kentucky L

Just an FYI he said in the postgame of the 1984 NC.
He thanked Dave Gavitt and was happy to bring the NC back to the Northeast for the first time in 35 years.
He wasn't being nostalgic.
He also wasn't being honest. He didn't care about the Big east. He refused to let his teams do interviews to get the conference publicity. Take the time and ask other people on the board that were around when Big John was coaching his team back in the early 80's. They treated the rest of the league with disrespect and contempt.

He also wasn't being honest. He didn't care about the Big east. He refused to let his teams do interviews to get the conference publicity. Take the time and ask other people on the board that were around when Big John was coaching his team back in the early 80's. They treated the rest of the league with disrespect and contempt.
I know the history watch Requiem for the Big east.
Gtown was the anti-establishment. Thompson relished everyone hating him.
Thompson would allow interviews but Mike Gorman said in the documentary that Gtown would watch them before they aired.
Thompson loosened up after the Sweater game in 1985. He was Darth Vader but he was a PC alumna and loyal to Dave Gavitt.

Our power program in 1974-75.

Our finish reminds me of George Mason and Florida Gulf Coast.

Dasher is suffering from selective amnesia in which he remembers the NCAAT and forgets losses to Penn State.

OPPONENT
Buffalo W
Cornell W
Army W
St. John's W
Providence L
Penn State W
Georgetown L
Rochester W
Pittsburgh W
Bowling Green W
Northeastern W
American W
Temple W
Boston College L
Penn State L
LaSalle W
St Bonaventure W
Rutgers L
West Virginia L
Colgate W
Canisius L
George Washington W
Niagara W
Manhattan W
Fordham W
Niagara W
St Bonaventure W
LaSalle W
North Carolina W
Kansas State W
Kentucky L
Are you serious? That was the teams we played back then. I will repeat this slowly so you can grasp it. We went to the final four after beating UNC and K state. Both ranked teams. You get that. I never said that was a great team. Honestly, our teams from 77-80 were better. But that is when we became a national player. We carried the eastern banner in '80 when we went to Purdue and won. There weren't many national cross sectional games back then. N.D. vs UCLA was about it.

Just like people have pictures of JFK in the houses he has a picture of Jim Boeheim. As only JB could have made us a national power.

I just watched Requiem for the Big East last night again and it made it clear how the BE, ESPN AND Pearl helped us become a national power as much as the coach. As every original BE team made the Final Four in the 80's except UConn.
SU was a strong regional program when JB took over and St. Bonaventure was one of our bigger rivals. His recruitment of Bouie and Orr helped put SU on the national map for good and the rest is history. I'm not sure things would have turned out as well as they have with another coach (or series of coaches) at the helm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom