This team, '16-17 team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This team, '16-17 team

Yes, for the reasons outlined. That year was a tale of two different starting lineups. Can that even be disputed?
you could absolutely argue the same for this year, while not nominally "starting" per se

If you think our current team could stop any one of Lydon, White, Gillon or Battle from having career nights...

Our only hope would be out rebounding ‘16/‘17

It’s not a good sign when we’re whimsically reminiscing to a lineup that did not even make the field.

That's the state of the program at the moment. We're reminiscing on a team that mentally checked out of the Ole Miss NIT game.

You know what...

Have a good day. This is a pointless discussion. If the '17 team and this team played, I know which team I'd expect to win -- and it wouldn't be the current group.
jeez.
sorry for trying to point out the similarity of this team and that team being tantalizing on offense while both having no clue on defense and just overall frustratingly inconsistent

If you think our current team could stop any one of Lydon, White, Gillon or Battle from having career nights...

Our only hope would be out rebounding ‘16/‘17
so the comparison now boils down to the two teams playing against eachother?

I agree with aspects of what both RF and Pearl are saying.

I agree with RF that I think the 2017 team was better than 2021 team. Not by much, though. Maybe the 2017 team is a 4-5 point favorite and wins 6-7 out of 10 times.

I agree with Pearl that the 2017 team still struggled a lot even after the lineup switch. We lost 5 out of our last 7 before the NIT and some of the games we won were pretty miraculous (Clemson, NC State, Duke).

I agree with aspects of what both RF and Pearl are saying.

I agree with RF that I think the 2017 team was better than 2021 team. Not by much, though. Maybe the 2017 team is a 4-5 point favorite and wins 6-7 out of 10 times.

I agree with Pearl that the 2017 team still struggled a lot even after the lineup switch. We lost 5 out of our last 7 before the NIT and some of the games we won were pretty miraculous (Clemson, NC State, Duke).

The difference being that the 2017 team transformed into an NCAA caliber team, but couldn't overcome the poor start with the incredibly poor lineup featuring several guys playing out of position that we started with. And they still came within a game of being in the field, despite that poor finish.

Does this team look like an NCAA squad? Who have they beaten?

I haven't seen anybody [despite FrancoPizza's post above] indicate that they thought that the 2017 was "great." But they were dangerous, and could beat top 20 teams. I don't think that this team can.

jeez.
sorry for trying to point out the similarity of this team and that team being tantalizing on offense while both having no clue on defense and just overall frustratingly inconsistent

All good -- as you know, you and I are on great terms, I'm just not in the mood to get dragged into an unnecessary argument over hypotheticals, when I'm still really frustrated about last night's game. No worries.

The difference being that the 2017 team transformed into an NCAA caliber team, but couldn't overcome the poor start with the incredibly poor lineup featuring several guys playing out of position that we started with. And they still came within a game of being in the field, despite that poor finish.

Does this team look like an NCAA squad? Who have they beaten?

I haven't seen anybody [despite FrancoPizza's post above] indicate that they thought that the 2017 was "great." But they were dangerous, and could beat top 20 teams. I don't think that this team can.

In their one chance in playing a good team at home they throttled top-20 VaTech. And they suck on the road, mostly. And they mostly play horrible defense.

All good -- as you know, you and I are on great terms, I'm just not in the mood to get dragged into an unnecessary argument over hypotheticals, when I'm still really frustrated about last night's game. No worries.
Right on. Just couldn't help but notice the similar feelings I had on that team coming to the end of that season and this team.

eh I'd say
A) walloping a good VT team
B) losing chances to even play at home against teams like Fla St, L'vlle, Clemson
I don't think Va Tech is a real good team. Not as good as the teams we beat back then. And yes, we didn't get to play those teams. But that doesn't mean we would have beat them. And there is certainly a question of how good the Ville is. FSU, no question is good.

maybe most of all the "similar" feeling I get is JB trying to cobble together a group of players that are just not suited to execute a defense he won't deviate from, and it's uber frustrating

I don't think Va Tech is a real good team. Not as good as the teams we beat back then. And yes, we didn't get to play those teams. But that doesn't mean we would have beat them. And there is certainly a question of how good the Ville is. FSU, no question is good.
agree to disagree on VaTech - I don't think you beat the teams they have and not be good

Isn't this like trying to decide which is better, Genny Cream Ale, or Rolling Rock?

Yes, and no.

Both of these scenarios make you feel happy, at least for part of the time.
But the hangovers the day after for those hoops teams were much worse.

Let’s discuss how the members of this team would’ve done on an eighth grade CYO team in Homer New York! Who cares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom