"This team is really good when it matters most..." | Syracusefan.com

"This team is really good when it matters most..."

Rocco

Watching you.
That's what Greg Anthony said. He is so right. Our games might not be the prettiest, but man do they know how to close out games and get the W.

Ennis and Fair are so good for us down the stretch.

19-0.

Agreed. Just worried Cooney's becoming one dimensional. Well not really worried I guess.

Agreed but I don't like when we have to wait until the other team closes the distance and often takes the lead before we answer and get into the groove. Seems to be a habit of late.

Its so true. In games when things get tough we start making plays. I also think its clear that miami is just a tough matchup for us. This is such a different team than we are used to. Wake will be less deliberate but they can still shoot it. Miami going apeshit on jumpers though like others have is concerning.

Agreed but I don't like when we have to wait until the other team closes the distance and often takes the lead before we answer and get into the groove. Seems to be a habit of late.

We have to get some games where mike g and roberson can get some more time. This 6 man rotation scares me in terms of limited margin for error. Terrifies me actually.

Have to say...Miami did a good job taking care of the ball until the end (when it mattered most).
I didn't hear it mentioned but we didn't get many TO's.

He seems more one-dimensional against zone. When the opponent is in M2M, Cooney is more aggressive off the dribble.

Just hope he realizes how good of an athlete he is. He really does have the athleticism and skill to make everyone around him open.

Have to say...Miami did a good job taking care of the ball until the end (when it mattered most).
I didn't hear it mentioned but we didn't get many TO's.
I was just about to say the same thing. Miami is a really disciplined team. Only 5 TOs, worked the clock effectively and rarely takes a bad shot. They were also running the pass to the high post, kick out for the wide open 3 perfectly for quite a while. I think Jekiri's 4th foul really hurt them. All in all, they have the elements to beat us but eventually their shots were going to stop falling.

We won this game essentially with 6 players. Gbinije and Roberson didn't provide anything today, really.

I hope that I'm wrong but I think that our lack of depth is going to bite us in the ass at some point this year.

I hear what you are saying but they came into the game when we were on a huge run and promptly Miami started their run while we struggled to even get shots up suddenly.

We won this game essentially with 6 players. Gbinije and Roberson didn't provide anything today, really.

I hope that I'm wrong but I think that our lack of depth is going to bite us in the ass at some point this year.
At this point the options are A) Build up meaningful depth and lose games, or B) Play a tight rotation and win

There's no doubt that JB prefers the latter.

Just hope he realizes how good of an athlete he is. He really does have the athleticism and skill to make everyone around him open.
At the least he should be driving with the intention to pass. Just getting in the gaps of the zone would be really helpful for everyone else. But it would also result in more turnovers, so there's a trade off.

That's what Greg Anthony said. He is so right. Our games might not be the prettiest, but man do they know how to close out games and get the W.

19-0.

5:24

49-49

James Kelly made Free Throw.

5:14

Tyler Ennis missed Jumper.

49-49

5:14

49-49

Miami (FL) Defensive Rebound.

5:01

49-49

James Kelly missed Jumper.

5:01

Syracuse Defensive Rebound.

49-49

4:48

Tyler Ennis made Jumper.

51-49

4:25

Jump Ball won by Syracuse

51-49

51-49

Davon Reed Turnover.

Jerami Grant Steal.

51-49

4:09

C.J. Fair made Jumper.

53-49

3:47

53-49

James Kelly missed Jumper.

3:47

C.J. Fair Defensive Rebound.

53-49

3:39

Official TV Timeout

3:15

53-49

Foul on Garrius Adams.

Tyler Ennis missed Free Throw.

53-49

53-49

Rion Brown Defensive Rebound.

2:48

Foul on C.J. Fair.

53-49

53-50

Donnavan Kirk made Free Throw.

53-50

Donnavan Kirk missed Free Throw.

Jerami Grant Defensive Rebound.

53-50

2:25

Trevor Cooney made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Baye Keita.

56-50

2:07

56-50

Tonye Jekiri missed Jumper.

2:07

Trevor Cooney Defensive Rebound.

56-50

1:32

Tyler Ennis missed Jumper.

56-50

1:32

56-50

Donnavan Kirk Defensive Rebound.

1:15

56-50

Garrius Adams missed Three Point Jumper.

1:15

C.J. Fair Defensive Rebound.

56-50

1:12

Syracuse Timeout

0:54

56-50

Foul on Garrius Adams.

C.J. Fair made Free Throw.

57-50

C.J. Fair made Free Throw.

58-50

0:46

58-52

Garrius Adams made Jumper.

0:45

Miami (FL) Timeout

0:42

58-52

Foul on Rion Brown.

Tyler Ennis made Free Throw.

59-52

Tyler Ennis made Free Throw.

60-52

0:37

60-52

Donnavan Kirk Turnover.

0:37

Baye Keita Steal.

60-52

0:35

60-52

Foul on Erik Swoope.

Trevor Cooney made Free Throw.

61-52

Trevor Cooney made Free Throw.

62-52

0:27

62-52

Rion Brown missed Three Point Jumper.

0:27

Jerami Grant Defensive Rebound.

62-52

0:25

62-52

Foul on Davon Reed.

Jerami Grant made Free Throw.

63-52

Jerami Grant made Free Throw.

64-52

0:18

64-52

Davon Reed missed Jumper.

0:18

Baye Keita Defensive Rebound.

64-52

0:00

End of Game

Hard to believe Roberson and Mike G can't contribute more than they did.

I think it had to do with our leaders more then them.

Fair sat to much on the perimeter when Grant was out, And Cooney wasn't getting looks and Ennis drives when Gbinije and Roberson were in. Their Defense was no worse then our starters.

At this point the options are A) Build up meaningful depth and lose games, or B) Play a tight rotation and win

There's no doubt that JB prefers the latter.

Or the always preferred method Option C) play a tight rotation getting 3-5 mins a game for the youngins in the early going to help build depth in case its needed in March. Which is what JB tried to do today, but all hell broke loose, and he said screw this crap and tightened up

Yup. I think the starters "play tired" during stretches that allow opponents back in the game.

JB has played it this way with many of his teams. And I think it costs us a few games (historically) during the late Jan/Feb periods.

We don't need to run entire "shifts" off the bench (like Tom Davis used to do). But, this team needs one or two guys to get some run off the pine.

Otherwise, I see the all too frequent Feb swoon approaching...

Or the always preferred method Option C) play a tight rotation getting 3-5 mins a game for the youngins in the early going to help build depth in case its needed in March. Which is what JB tried to do today, but all hell broke loose, and he said screw this crap and tightened up
Do you really think the token 3 per game is going to help a player's progression appreciably? I mean, Roberson got 3 minutes today, believe it or not. Was this helpful for him down the road?

"When it matters most" - vacuous sportscaster speak.

If we'd extended 26-8 to something like 40-15 at the half, that would have been what mattered most as Boeheim emptied the bench and coasted to a comfortable win.

Great that Ennis et al. made plays down the stretch? Yeah, and hopefully that gives everyone the confidence that they can do that in the future against a good team. But the notion that there was something unique about that portion of the game is silly.

Yup. I think the starters "play tired" during stretches that allow opponents back in the game.

JB has played it this way with many of his teams. And I think it costs us a few games (historically) during the late Jan/Feb periods.

We don't need to run entire "shifts" off the bench (like Tom Davis used to do). But, this team needs one or two guys to get some run off the pine.

Otherwise, I see the all too frequent Feb swoon approaching...

But if the bench doesn't produce when they are out there with a huge lead, what's JB suppose to do?

Cheers,
Neil

19-0.

Completely agree. I was disappointed that we let Miami get back into the game, but you have to be pleased with how we close out games. We've been in several contests that have been close, and always seem to find ways to make all of the important plays down the stretch to tip the scales in our favor.

Poise.

Mental toughness.

Unflappable.

Those are great qualities to have in a team during high stakes game when the outcome is uncertain.

Love this squad.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom