"This team is really good when it matters most..." | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"This team is really good when it matters most..."

Yup. I think the starters "play tired" during stretches that allow opponents back in the game.

JB has played it this way with many of his teams. And I think it costs us a few games (historically) during the late Jan/Feb periods.

We don't need to run entire "shifts" off the bench (like Tom Davis used to do). But, this team needs one or two guys to get some run off the pine.

Otherwise, I see the all too frequent Feb swoon approaching...

Good post. I don't see the swoon approaching; hopefully we're better than that.

Otherwise, completely agree.

"When it matters most" - vacuous sportscaster speak.

If we'd extended 26-8 to something like 40-15 at the half, that would have been what mattered most as Boeheim emptied the bench and coasted to a comfortable win.

Great that Ennis et al. made plays down the stretch? Yeah, and hopefully that gives everyone the confidence that they can do that in the future against a good team. But the notion that there was something unique about that portion of the game is silly.

Unique? Maybe not, but this team has the ability to get tough at the end of tight games and put them away. That is something the majority of teams are not capable of doing on any kind of a regular basis.

Again, as JB has said, this team has resolve.

Did you think that Roberson was any worse than Keita in the first half?

Dumb question really considering that BMK has a history of producing, particularly on defense.

It's up to guys like Roberson to give the team energy (whether its d, o, or rb) like Grant did last year. Roberson is another CJ type where he wants to let the game come to him. That rarely translate into a good bench player at SU. Outside of Patterson, I just do not get any energy feel from the bench, which means we will continue to see the starters getting the majority of the minutes.

Cheers,
Neil

Unique? Maybe not, but this team has the ability to get tough at the end of tight games and put them away. That is something the majority of teams are not capable of doing on any kind of a regular basis.

Again, as JB has said, this team has resolve.

I like Ennis's lack of panic. A lot. He's the sort of point guard every college basketball fan wants running his team when it's down late.

Dumb question really considering that BMK has a history of producing, particularly on defense.

It's up to guys like Roberson to give the team energy (whether its d, o, or rb) like Grant did last year. Roberson is another CJ type where he wants to let the game come to him. That rarely translate into a good bench player at SU. Outside of Patterson, I just do not get any energy feel from the bench, which means we will continue to see the starters getting the majority of the minutes.

Cheers,
Neil

Dumb question, eh?

Cheers to you as well.

I
But if the bench doesn't produce when they are out there with a huge lead, what's JB suppose to do?

Cheers,
Neil
I agree - those token "1" or "2" guys need to produce.

Or at least not blow leads...

Maybe that is this team. Little margin for error. Solid 6, nothing behind it to spell the starters.

While that formula can win in March (when we don't lose a starter due to injury or suspension), I do not think it will win the Conference this year. We have a tough closing stretch. Fatigue will level off our play.

Hope I'm wrong.

Syracuse held Miami without a basket for 7 1/2 minutes down the stretch Saturday and made eight consecutive free throws in the final minute.

That, by definition is "When it matters most". Thank you, see you Wednesday ~

All momentum was lost when G moved to the point and Roberson came in. Today is a prime example why you play your starters extended minutes.

I

I agree - those token "1" or "2" guys need to produce.

Or at least not blow leads...

Maybe that is this team. Little margin for error. Solid 6, nothing behind it to spell the starters.

While that formula can win in March (when we don't lose a starter due to injury or suspension), I do not think it will win the Conference this year. We have a tough closing stretch. Fatigue will level off our play.

Hope I'm wrong.

Let me make myself clear. I, too, wish JB would utilize his bench more for those same reasons. But this season it just seems to me that outside of BMK's energy on d, we aren't getting a whole lot from SilentG and Roberson to criticize him for not using them more.

I still have hopes they will continue to develop in practice as conference season goes along and then give the starters the rest they may need.

I'm also being selfish, since I think we not only lose Fair, but we will lose Grant and Ennis this season as well and want some of these players to be ready to contribute big time next year.

Cheers,
Neil

Its so true. In games when things get tough we start making plays. I also think its clear that miami is just a tough matchup for us. This is such a different team than we are used to. Wake will be less deliberate but they can still shoot it. Miami going apeshit on jumpers though like others have is concerning.
It's a tough matchup when its on the road and we shoot 50% from the line.

All momentum was lost when G moved to the point and Roberson came in. Today is a prime example why you play your starters extended minutes.

I don't think this type of analysis is fair at all.

Gbinije at PG - Up 13, Ennis back in Up 15...so we gained 2 points.

Roberson in - SU Up 15, SU up 10...lost 5..turning those mins we had 2 missed Keita FTs and two turnovers on Ennis and Keita.

So at that point we are still Up 10 with 4 mins left in the quarter. It's the bench's fault at this point we end the half up 5?

Gbinije is usually decent off the bench. I wish he'd shoot more. Can't compare him fairly to Roberson at this point. Plus G can spell either Ennis or Cooney.

Completely agree. I was disappointed that we let Miami get back into the game, but you have to be pleased with how we close out games. We've been in several contests that have been close, and always seem to find ways to make all of the important plays down the stretch to tip the scales in our favor.

Poise.

Mental toughness.

Unflappable.

Those are great qualities to have in a team during high stakes game when the outcome is uncertain.

Love this squad.

Let's Go Orange!!!

It was nice hearing Anthony praise Ennis' play. He was spot on with everything he said.

It seems to me that Ennis turns an offensive switch on when he wants to. The way that he moves through the paint is awesome and mentioned by Anthony as "smooth as smooth gets" or something like that. The kid is incredible.

Agreed but I don't like when we have to wait until the other team closes the distance and often takes the lead before we answer and get into the groove. Seems to be a habit of late.
I hear your concerns; however, as long as we close out games, that's all that matters.
This team is a winner and we've proven that game in and game out.

He seems more one-dimensional against zone. When the opponent is in M2M, Cooney is more aggressive off the dribble.

Exactly...Still, he hit three yesterday and continues to play great defense...On to Wake...

I love the way this team closes, and the record speaks for itself, but I have concerns that it will be difficult to close like that against the better teams, especially on the road.

Also, I have to think that all these minutes will eventually add up to weak legs late in games towards the end of the season when closing will be critical.

We will see. I have confidence that JB has a handle on it.

I love the way this team closes, and the record speaks for itself, but I have concerns that it will be difficult to close like that against the better teams, especially on the road.

Also, I have to think that all these minutes will eventually add up to weak legs late in games towards the end of the season when closing will be critical.

We will see. I have confidence that JB has a handle on it.

The minutes could certainly be an issue, but the games are spread out so much that we should be ok. This Wednesday starts a pretty tough 3 game stretch. @Wake on Wednesday, Duke on Saturday then ND on Monday.

I was glad to see Roberson get a little bit of run yesterday. JB might be slowly mixing him in, but will certainly remain firm on that 7 man rotation without him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom