this team: SO MANY ??? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

this team: SO MANY ???

So we lose a bunch of guys from a weak team that was historically bad. More opportunity for new blood that can turn things around and restore winning. Goodbye to TT another member of the "bad energy something's wrong with this guy" club. Team chemistry will be better this year with a younger, hungrier team with guys who have a better attitude. Let's hope. Many times in our history young guys without a big rep have pleasantly surprised.

Well, if you look back historically, Boeheim has usually rebuilt teams every year based on having 3 returning rotation players - a big guy, a wing and a guard - from the previous year, if you look back at past roster management.

With this team, we were counting on Thompson as the big guy, Battle as either the "wing" or the "guard", and that had us hoping that either Frank gets it together or Chukwu makes a big leap.

In either scenario, this team already had less "proven" talent than what we usually bring back, and then we lose another key guy. It may all work out, but usually the more questions you have about your rotation, the more games you lose over the course of the year.

Rothsteins prediction of Ga Tech last year was literally the worst prediction Ive seen by an "expert" in any field

We should be familiar with prediction fails as well. Rothstein can be a little douchey at times on Twitter or whatever but the guy is a sharp cat. He's solid on those panels on CBS Sports Network/Inside College Basketball.

We should be familiar with prediction fails as well. Rothstein can be a little douchey at times on Twitter or whatever but the guy is a sharp cat. He's solid on those panels on CBS Sports Network/Inside College Basketball.

Definitely knows his stuff

Also need a few guys to fail drug tests
Things I'm looking for during the 2017-2018 season:

Tyus Battle gets caught shoplifting gloves and a bathrobe from Shoppingtown mall
Marek Dolezaj and Matt Moyer are accused of shaving points
Frank Howard breaks a girlfriend's car side mirror
Frank Howard is then suspended due to academic ineligibility
Oshae Brissett isn't cleared to play until November
Geno Thorpe stays in Tampa until the 4th day of classes
Could one of the players knock out a recruit on his visit as well? This would be super cool

Well, if you look back historically, Boeheim has usually rebuilt teams every year based on having 3 returning rotation players - a big guy, a wing and a guard - from the previous year, if you look back at past roster management.

With this team, we were counting on Thompson as the big guy, Battle as either the "wing" or the "guard", and that had us hoping that either Frank gets it together or Chukwu makes a big leap.

In either scenario, this team already had less "proven" talent than what we usually bring back, and then we lose another key guy. It may all work out, but usually the more questions you have about your rotation, the more games you lose over the course of the year.
That's a fair assessment. Man, maybe Brissett is even better than we're hoping, Frank completely turns it around, and Moyer does all the little things like freshman or sophomore year CJ? That's all I got...

Wrong

Wasn't saying this was why but it seems true that JB may have overdone it with a kid who had trouble handling the heat. Having followed the team more closely then most since the 70's I don't recall any player who looked so bad when JB jumped them- and there has been a lot. Certainly TT didn't love JB so much that he overrode any family stuff to stay.

Because telling a kid to "go out there and play defense" is a lot to ask an 18 year old.

Not exactly the language JB used. Players have different reactions to JB's tirades but TT took them worse than most.

Not exactly the language JB used. Players have different reactions to JB's tirades but TT took them worse than most.
Kevin Willard isn't exactly this cool coach who won't yell at his players.
JB is a jerk but he is a HOFer and earns his attitude.
Willard isn't sniffing the HOF.

Thompson just wanted out.

Wasn't saying this was why but it seems true that JB may have overdone it with a kid who had trouble handling the heat. Having followed the team more closely then most since the 70's I don't recall any player who looked so bad when JB jumped them- and there has been a lot. Certainly TT didn't love JB so much that he overrode any family stuff to stay.

You think JB is more harsh than Bob Hurley?

You think JB is more harsh than Bob Hurley?

It would be interesting to find out if TT had problems with Hurley as well. Yelling, disciplining, etc. I mean what did he expect when he repeatedly refused to pretty much even try on D. Coddling? Izzo would've been on his a$$ too!

Can some run down what were at scholarship players wise now for this year? I believe the schollie sanctions run what one more year and were finally back at 13?
We are allowed 11 for 2017. Currently at 10 including Carter who is red shirting. We are allowed 12 for 2018. Thorpe leaves plus two open means we can bring in 3 - Bazley plus two. Battle going NBA obviously opens one more. We are back to full 13 in 2019.

I'm not optimistic, but we are due for a season to overachieve. How? I don't know.

We lack shooting, rebounding, and a post game.

Eh. I'm probably alone, but we have three guys that are proven shooters. With three more that we don't really know, but have shown they have potential to be shooters. Luckily, those three can all rebound and battle down low. Then a combo at center that will be just fine. All is well, and the majority of teams would trade for this roster.

NCAA Transfer Rules. 4-4 Transfer. Permission to Contact.

Interesting stuff here.
1. Student must request permission to contact other school. This clearly did not happen.
2. If permission is not granted to contact other school, student can still transfer but CANNOT receive an athletic scholarship the first year at the new school.
I would expect Syracuse to deny the release sending Thompson to community college for a year or forcing mom to open the checkbook.

Interesting stuff here.
1. Student must request permission to contact other school. This clearly did not happen.
2. If permission is not granted to contact other school, student can still transfer but CANNOT receive an athletic scholarship the first year at the new school.
I would expect Syracuse to deny the release sending Thompson to community college for a year or forcing mom to open the checkbook.

I hope they just let him move on, and walk away from the situation completely. Wash their hands of him, and put this nonsense behind us. Hope he grows up someday, but it isn't going to be here, so goodbye.

Interesting stuff here.

It might be a bit of a PR hit if we play hardball about the transfer if they claim family medical issues. But we also took some crap when the Jason Hart situation was playing out back in the day.

Never been one to denigrate a player's abilities after he transfers and I certainly looked forward to watching TT develop and be a cornerstone to the offense. However the quickest way to the bench when playing for JB is to fail defensively especially when due to lack of effort. If Sidibe and/ or Chukwu prove to be a serviceable option on the defensive end and TT did not improve he was a prime candidate for whipping boy status and restricted minutes.
We will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom