This was my call that started all this | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This was my call that started all this

Interesting perspective

when I first heard Jim drilling me on the air I was wondering what the lash back was going to be and I thought it was going to be 50-50 and I would’ve been fine with that. When you call you have to be prepared for lash back which is fine. I’ve been doing it for 20 something years. People that don’t know me just think I’m critical and hate him! I’ve defended him on the air more than any other caller in the history of Syracuse sports talk radio

HE said "Pat hates me." You might want to call in just to reassure him that you don't and discuss what he thinks is proper etiquette in asking questions. Maybe you could find some common ground. We all need to calm down a bit.

Last edited:
Syracuse Losses:

- Rutgers by 10: Kadary played the entire game.

- Pitt by 3: Kadary was locked down and Pitt was unbothered by his D.

- UNC by 6: Kadary wasn’t doing much on offense. I remember his D being good, but not disruptive to the point of making up 6 points.

- Pitt by 20: by 20.. 18yo Melo could come back in a time machine and not help in this one.

- UVA by 23: See above

- Clemson by 17: See above

So, in totality, there’s an argument that Kadary could maybe, maybe have flipped one L to a W if he played 30+ minutes. That’s the UNC game and it’s a flimsy argument. Pitt’s guards couldn’t care less about Kadary being in the game, so he wasn’t changing that 3 point loss.

Is Kadary better than Joe and Buddy? Yes. Despite what some of you guys think I’ve argued in the past, I’ve never disagreed with that. Was Waiters clearly better than Triche and Jardine? Yes, from the moment he stepped on campus. Can a player who is better, still come off the bench? Yes, happens all the time at multiple schools for various reasons. Certainly not unprecedented by any stretch.

Flipping L’s to W’s is all that matters. Kadary’s playing time has improved as he’s proven himself (what I’ve advocated for from the jump). He’s seeing 25mpg.

What are we arguing for? 30mpg? 40mpg? In our wins, JB has played him enough to win. In our losses, it doesn’t appear that playing him more would have changed the result.

Syracuse Losses:

- UNC by 6: Kadary wasn’t doing much on offense. I remember his D being good, but not disruptive to the point of making up 6 points.

- Pitt by 20: by 20.. 18yo Melo could come back in a time machine and not help in this one.

So, in totality, there’s an argument that Kadary could maybe, maybe have flipped one L to a W if he played 30+ minutes. That’s the UNC game and it’s a flimsy argument. Pitt’s guards couldn’t care less about Kadary being in the game, so he wasn’t changing that 3 point loss.

Is Kadary better than Joe and Buddy? Yes. Despite what some of you guys think I’ve argued in the past, I’ve never disagreed with that. Was Waiters clearly better than Triche and Jardine? Yes, from the moment he stepped on campus. Can a player who is better, still come off the bench? Yes, happens all the time at multiple schools for various reasons. Certainly not unprecedented by any stretch.

Flipping L’s to W’s is all that matters. Kadary’s playing time has improved as he’s proven himself (what I’ve advocated for from the jump). He’s seeing 25mpg.

What are we arguing for? 30mpg? 40mpg? In our wins, JB has played him enough to win. In our losses, it doesn’t appear that playing him more would have changed the result.
You're overanalyzing. Are they a better team with him on the floor? Yes they are. Trust your eyes.

You're overanalyzing. Are they a better team with him on the floor? Yes they are. Trust your eyes.

Sometimes, maybe most of the time, we’re better with him on the court. It’s not universal and it’s not affecting wins and losses (so far). Ultimately, wins and losses are all that matter.

There seems to be a sense that Kadary playing more from the start of the season would have this team in better shape record-wise. I just don’t see that being true. At this point, he makes a bad team slightly less bad but more fun to watch. Neat.

Disclaimer that shouldn’t be necessary: Kadary is a very good player and I think he’ll play 30+ mpg next year and actually be a centerpiece of the team’s success. Adding 5-10 minutes to his 20-25 minutes of PT does nothing for “player development.” Development comes in practice and he gets enough minutes in games to have the requisite game experience to build on.

True. And we're 17 games in and can't even proximate the ceiling for half our players because it's been predetermined by what coach saw at practice. Not the games that you and I see where Kadary is oozing, Jesse shows potential, Woody looks like he could be a Great and so on and so on. Questionable bench usage and player development has become the norm and it's reached a boiling point with Kadary.

Sometimes, maybe most of the time, we’re better with him on the court. It’s not universal and it’s not affecting wins and losses (so far). Ultimately, wins and losses are all that matter.

There seems to be a sense that Kadary playing more from the start of the season would have this team in better shape record-wise. I just don’t see that being true. At this point, he makes a bad team slightly less bad but more fun to watch. Neat.

Disclaimer that shouldn’t be necessary: Kadary is a very good player and I think he’ll play 30+ mpg next year and actually be a centerpiece of the team’s success. Adding 5-10 minutes to his 20-25 minutes of PT does nothing for “player development.” Development comes in practice and he gets enough minutes in games to have the requisite game experience to build
Richmond is the oldest freshman in the country don’t hold your breath you’ll see him

Syracuse Losses:

A majority of the people you're arguing against were the same ones calling for Goodine to play more, and all over JB when he left. The same Goodine that can't even find time on a mediocre Providence team missing their PG, and going 6.5 deep. Sound familiar? Though I suppose one could argue that it may just be the coaches fault again, and not that Goodine just isn't very good. Regardless, as logical as your logic may be, it's most likely falling on deaf ears. And once again, I have to say that I'm team Kadary all the way, but I guess not to the extreme of many.

A majority of the people you're arguing against were the same ones calling for Goodine to play more, and all over JB when he left. The same Goodine that can't even find time on a mediocre Providence team missing their PG, and going 6.5 deep. Sound familiar? Though I suppose one could argue that it may just be the coaches fault again, and not that Goodine just isn't very good. Regardless, as logical as your logic may be, it's most likely falling on deaf ears. And once again, I have to say that I'm team Kadary all the way, but I guess not to the extreme of many.

I’ve become the resident insane person for the following arguments:

- Kadary is very good but I’m okay with him not starting this year. 20-25 minutes per game seems like a good amount, which can be adjusted upward as he proves himself.

- Joe Girard is as much a PG as GMac was, based on every PG stat. GMac was the better player and far better shooter.

- Center is a bigger glaring weakness in the zone than the guards are.

- Jim Boeheim needs to recruit better but hasn’t forgotten how basketball works

I’ve become the resident insane person for the following arguments:

- Kadary is very good but I’m okay with him not starting this year. 20-25 minutes per game seems like a good amount, which can be adjusted upward as he proves himself.

- Joe Girard is as much a PG as GMac was, based on every PG stat. GMac was the better player and far better shooter.

- Center is a bigger glaring weakness in the zone than the guards are.

- Jim Boeheim needs to recruit better but hasn’t forgotten how basketball works
It's crazy how the crazy has become the norm, and the norm is now crazy. Or something like that.

I like the response, re: JB's attitude when someone 'questions' him. But, it's not about one non-coach thinking he knows more about basketball than JB. That fan could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds, OK, but that fan's idea/criticism could be the same perspective held by other coaches. Ideas in basketball aren't infinitely different. An idea from a random nobody could be what Coach K would do. Who has won more games than JB. Could be what Coach X would do—the coach that just beat JB. An idea from a fan who has never coached a game is not invalid or less valid simply because it came from someone with no wins to his record.

And the thing is... JB absolutely has successfully employed ideas that fans have proposed before JB did them. I'm not suggesting for a minute that JB culled them from fansites. But, it sorta supports the concept that those ideas weren't wrong, and were probably better than the ones JB had been employing.

It makes sense for a guy with this much longevity and experience to be defensive about his record, his work, his mind, his schemes. That's human nature. But, how you express that and how you deal with it is a representation of your character and intellect.

Ajax at 6-9 weights 215. Thats carmelo's weight with a extra inch to rebound along with a extra year. I am not comparing the two's game just saying, to think he doesn't have the physical tools to play a little PF to open up Guerrier inside is crazy to me. Play Griff or Guerrier with Brass go 3 PF's, 4 if Dole plays some 4.

Ajax at 6-9 weights 215. Thats carmelo's weight with a extra inch to rebound along with a extra year. I am not comparing the two's game just saying, to think he doesn't have the physical tools to play a little PF to open up Guerrier inside is crazy to me. Play Griff or Guerrier with Brass go 3 PF's, 4 if Dole plays some 4.
You okay, sir?

Who is the PG they are missing?

Bynum

Oh, he back. Anyway, I'll just argue this for fun, to look at something other than SU.

So, last year when he transferred people said he left because he was afraid of the competition, when kinda sorta, he transferred to a team with better guards than we have.

Bynum starts coming in as a xfer, and after him you got two decent recruits/players that are better than our starting guards - at least more well rounded. Duke and Reeves were established and starting for two years, if you want to call either of them AG type SG, that's fine, but they're guards.

So, right off the top you're talking about 3 guys in front of you. Breed started over him once that injury occurred, so that's a strike against Goodine, but almost all of those guys are probably better fits for an SU zone team than our starting guards - except 5'2" Bynum.

Providence kinda sucks because Gantt didn't pan out and they don't play defense.

They've had 8 people start 8 games already - how that a 6.5 rotation?

Oh, he back. Anyway, I'll just argue this for fun, to look at something other than SU.

So, last year when he transferred people said he left because he was afraid of the competition, when kinda sorta, he transferred to a team with better guards than we have.

Bynum starts coming in as a xfer, and after him you got two decent recruits/players that are better than our starting guards - at least more well rounded. Duke and Reeves were established and starting for two years, if you want to call either of them AG type SG, that's fine, but they're guards.

So, right off the top you're talking about 3 guys in front of you. Breed started over him once that injury occurred, so that's a strike against Goodine, but almost all of those guys are probably better fits for an SU zone team than our starting guards - except 5'2" Bynum.

Providence kinda sucks because Gantt didn't pan out and they don't play defense.

They've had 8 people start 8 games already - how that a 6.5 rotation?

Cooley seems to only play 6.5 each game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom