This year versus last year's version - pick 'em | Syracusefan.com

This year versus last year's version - pick 'em

Nicknack

All Conference
I was just thinking that there are a couple of guys who I would actually take where they were last year over where they are so far this year. I am unable to recall a time over the past 25 years of watching 'Cuse basketball when I would have said that for more than one (key) player. I know it's still early, but think about it...

I would take last year's version:
  • Cooney (so far, no question - I don't know who this year's version is yet. I like his willingness to drive to the basket but who could have imagined that his outside shot would be even more suspect?). He is a true enigma.
  • G (at this point, one of the biggest disappointments - yet I'm still hoping he will turn the corner and I think he can). I just don't get it. I'm still holding on to the fact that he is in some kind of funk that is temporary.

I would take this year's version:
  • Christmas (easy) - one of the true bright spots on this team. Love what he has done from last year to this year and I give him tremendous credit for the work to develop his game like he has done! Although, to his credit, it's really about his development over the course of his 'Cuse career as we saw glimpses last year of what he could do that he is now doing. Also, the foul issue isn't all on him either; any center would be in a challenge not having a reliable back-up. That's what makes Coleman's possible return huge.

Must Improve:
  • Roberson - I don't know where I am with him since we didn't exactly get to see much of him last year and this year has also been limited. However, I certainly expected much more than we have seen so far. The season is young as is he so I'm still remaining optimistic. He could certainly use a big game to get his confidence up and to play with more fire.
  • Joseph - doesn't look comfortable in the half court. He looks like, well, a freshman. I really like Joseph and think he be a VERY good point guard for us for the next 3-4 years (and even this year). What I wish he would do more of is drive to the basket. Whenever he does, good things usually happen although that is usually relegated to fast breaks rather than driving in a half court set. He passes the ball around the perimeter way too much rather than making things happen. Remember the quote about him saying that if Boeheim wanted him to be more aggressive by driving to the basket more, he would and he would look to create havoc doing so. I haven't seen much havoc as of yet, but I think he could bring it (and will) once he gets more comfortable out there. Again, I really think he will be a very good (special) player for us once things slow down a bit more for him.
  • Johnson and Patterson - both just need to keep getting minutes (that's all I can say). They certainly have the talent; we just need to see more consistent play. Tough for Patterson with such limited minutes (particularly for an outside shooter).
  • Coleman - dress attire. It really hurts my eyes and the PS articles about it are even worse. As a player, we need him to get better soon as we could really use his big body to help out Christmas. Him returning could be a game changer for us.

Other Comments
:
  • Grant - oh yeah, he elected to go pro too early (my bad). Just think what if...
  • McCullough- stud (just think come March what this team could become with Christmas and McCullough in the front court coupled with improved outside shooting from the others. I'm still remaining hopeful and optimistic. It can't get worse - so why not?

You say at the end "It can't get worse - so why not?" I basically agree with that but its also why I can't understand much of the doom and gloom we see on this board and specifically right after games. Its only going to get better the more these guys play. I think when you look at each player singularly yes it can look like there isn't a heck of a lot going for us other than Rak & Chris. As a team we are doing some really nice things and as individual players improve and then work better in the team concept (especially on offense) we have a chance to be really good.

Some interesting team stats:
5-1
SU: .444FG OPP: .341FG
SU: .202(3pt) OPP: .268(3pt) (as bad as we are shooting 3's we make other teams look bad here as well)
Rebounding Margin: +9.5
Turnover Margin: +5.2
Blocks Per Game: 6.3

Last edited:
You say at the end "It can't get worse - so why not?" I basically agree with that but its also why I can't understand much of the doom and gloom we see on this board and specifically right after games. Its only going to get better the more these guys play. I think when you look at each player singularly yes it can look like there isn't a heck of a lot going for us other than Rak & Chris. As a team we are doing some really nice things and as individual players improve and then work better in the team concept (especially on offense) we have a chance to be really good.

5-1
SU: .202(3pt) OPP: .268(3pt) (as bad as we are shooting 3's we make other teams look bad here as well)

One of the things that may help us this year is that nearly everybody seems to have terrible outside shooting, outside of Duke and a few other teams. Most teams are just terrible from 3 this year.

One of the things that may help us this year is that nearly everybody seems to have terrible outside shooting, outside of Duke and a few other teams. Most teams are just terrible from 3 this year.

Agreed the numbers are down especially with ACC teams you'd expect to be good shooting teams other than Duke of course.

5-1

Great stuff. So far our adjusted defensive efficiency is 5th in the country. As i expect, the zone will keep us in games this year. I fully agree that as our offensive performance improves, we will become a team to be reckoned with.

Great stuff. So far our adjusted defensive efficiency is 5th in the country. As i expect, the zone will keep us in games this year. I fully agree that as our offensive performance improves, we will become a team to be reckoned with.

Rebounding margin is a bit iffy because we haven't rely gotten into the big boy portion of the schedule but I think we can still be a good rebounding team. Turnover margin is great when you consider a bunch of teams have tried to slow it down on offense against us and our PG spot is manned by true freshman and a converted forward. So this is something that should improve with better defense and more experience. Yes Nova and Lville may press us and be outliers statistically in this area. Shooting simply cannot get much worse even at .444% most of those makes (like 85%) are pretty much right at the rim. Has to go up at some point. We have also shot and made more FT's than our opponents and the strength of our offense being C and PF means this should be the case most games and it gives us the chance to put other teams bigs in foul trouble.

and thats with Chris giving up 18 points in the second half to Holy Cross, ha. I personally can already see the improvement from the guys in the zone. Chris made a great instinctive play at the end of the Iowa game...shows he very coachable and thinking on defense. Bj has improved on his positioning in the zone as well and his rebounding has been better than most would have thought. G gets beat back door and the short corner occasionally, but he does a great job at getting out on shooters. Joseph seems a bit lost still, but if he would just keep his hands up a little more id be content with his positioning so far at such a early stage of the year while he is still learning. Cooney is usually solid with getting into passing lanes and hustling and staying in front of his man. This teams upside defensively is very encouraging. Now if only Christmas can limit the 2 dumb fouls a game so he can stay in the middle longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom