This years biggest disappointment is the OL | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

This years biggest disappointment is the OL

This.

He improved Bergs pff grade by 20 points, last year. They needed to do something different, last year, and ran a bunch of Schmidt plays. One reason for so much success in the run game. He can coach an offensive line. A different approach, this year. (Which was very successful for the 1st 6 games) He's a technician, and gives them more tools than they previously had. More guys will reach their full potential.
Schmidt has done “well” in his two seasons with us. Not great. But it’s two years. Let’s let him get some of his own guys in the building, allow him to identify the talent and coach it up. He’s been dealing with talent identified and recruited by other coaches.

The one thing, this year, that was befuddling was the inability to get any consistent push between the tackles. Especially after the run game was such a strength last year. I would surmise that is more a byproduct of the new offensive system and the lack of the program having a viable center. In other words, I don’t hold Schmidt accountable for that. Not at this stage.

Schmidt has done “well” in his two seasons with us. Not great. But it’s two years. Let’s let him get some of his own guys in the building, allow him to identify the talent and coach it up. He’s been dealing with talent identified and recruited by other coaches.

The one thing, this year, that was befuddling was the inability to get any consistent push between the tackles. Especially after the run game was such a strength last year. I would surmise that is more a byproduct of the new offensive system and the lack of the program having a viable center. In other words, I don’t hold Schmidt accountable for that. Not at this stage.

I'd argue that any input he had, last year, he would have put his guys in the best position to succeed- and did. Its mixed up this year- which was needed.

Not just recruiting, and talent identification. If a guy has been doing something "this way", for a while? It can take twice as long to fix that "bad" habit. Newer guys wont have to unlearn some things.

I feel exactly the way you feel. Well said.

This is a really good point.

Coach Schmidt has done well since being hired in February of 2021. He has to get much of the credit for the strong run game we had in 2022. But I’m puzzled to understand why happened to the run game this year. We had a pre-season All-American running back and we only lost one started from the 2021 offensive line. So what happened in 2022?

I appreciate he’s been coaching a bunch of players that he inherited and didn’t recruit himself, but if he wants to coach his own guys he better start recruiting.

In 2022 we brought in two 3* offensive linemen, and so far in 2023 we have two OL commitments (1 HS player and 1 from JC).

I’m hearing we may lose a couple of OL who still have eligibility remaining after the season. Right now we only have 14 scholarship offensive linemen. Wow, we can’t even go three-deep. We need to bring in 5 o-linemen; HS, JC and the portal.

We need to do a better job when it comes to recruiting offensive linemen. As your line goes, so goes your team.

RECRUIT and DEVELOP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom