This years biggest disappointment is the OL | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This years biggest disappointment is the OL

I was going to mention what a nice job Ilaio did at C but was afraid Bees was going to throw his grade at me.
every practice i was at he was looking great:)

i bet there is a correlation between having the ability to make plays with your legs and hanging on to the ball forever

all those highlights where you wait for someone to get open and then scramble are more easily remembered than the times you eat it waiting forever.

shrader eats it so much

McNabb is the 20th most sacked NFL QB. 22nd in attempts.

Vick 50th most sacked. 91st in attempts. Lamar Jackson 165th and 193rd respectively

I'm mr air raid around here but good air raid offenses have guys that unload the ball quick, that's the best way to avoid sacks
Yeah that series after Pena got it to the redzone was stupid bad. throw it through the goal posts,

O line is disappointing. Berg has been good. There's 3 other guys that havent been consistently good along with Vett. Pass pro has been better. Run blocking took steps back. Year 2 in the scheme will make a difference.

Yeah that series after Pena got it to the redzone was stupid bad. throw it through the goal posts,

First play was bad because he was already outside the tackle box.

Second play was bad because after the first play they should have called something that had him rolling out, and told him throw it away if there was nothing there.

It was almost worst case scenario (only a turnover could have been worse).

There's a fine line between hero-ing and DeVito-ing. He needs to be smart enough to find it in situations like that.

So will seasoned OL off the portal.
I'm not at practice everyday, and the point that this is year 1 of a new system is well taken, but this seems to be one of the most glaring needs in the portal. We have a lot of young guys who have been in the program for several years who don't appear to be close to ready. I hope I am wrong, but I don't know that we can be as successful as we want to be without bringing in 2-3 guys who are physically ready and can compete

Big questions heading into next year:
  • Was Bleich's play due to him being impaired by injury, or is this is "max" level of productivity?
  • Can Ellis shed some weight to get to "peak" physical condition [for him] and improve?
  • Does Vett return?
  • Who plays center?
  • Who plays RT?
  • Do any of the returning guys on the depth chart beyond the Cruz's make a step forward [i.e. Ilaoa, Bradford, Magnuson, Kauhi, etc.]?
  • Can the big JUCO OL we just landed crack the two deep?
  • Will we be able to land the JUCO center we're recruiting?
  • Can we add any starting caliber OL contributors via the portal?

Big questions heading into next year:
  • Was Bleich's play due to him being impaired by injury, or is this is "max" level of productivity?
  • Does Vett return?
  • Who plays center?
  • Who plays RT?
  • Do any of the returning guys on the depth chart beyond the Cruz's make a step forward [i.e. Ilaoa, Bradford, Magnuson, Kauhi, etc.]?
  • Can the big JUCO OL we just landed crack the two deep?
  • Will we be able to land the JUCO center we're recruiting?
  • Can we add any starting caliber OL contributors via the portal?
hope vet returns as he is a quality lineman and he can play multiple positions. his procedure calls at C have been killer though. hope he is our RT to start the year, but I could also see him at guard

I was going to mention what a nice job Ilaio did at C but was afraid Bees was going to throw his grade at me.
To be fair, the 24yo high school coach/special teams coordinators from Canada that PFF hires for many of these gigs do a helluva job with those grades. By no means are they rushing through the process or doing different teams every week. And you can damn sure better acknowledge that they know exactly what SU's blocking scheme was on every play and exactly what the defensive call was too. These guys are legit!

O line is disappointing. Berg has been good. There's 3 other guys that havent been consistently good along with Vett. Pass pro has been better. Run blocking took steps back. Year 2 in the scheme will make a difference.

Yep

When things get blown up Vet is ALWAYS the guy blocking air.

And that’s all I need to say about that.

Elmore probably would have been fantastic at Center.

When things get blown up Vet is ALWAYS the guy blocking air.

And that’s all I need to say about that.

Elmore probably would have been fantastic at Center.

Yet somehow he was our 2nd best OL.

hope vet returns as he is a quality lineman and he can play multiple positions. his procedure calls at C have been killer though. hope he is our RT to start the year, but I could also see him at guard
I don't want to jinx it, but I haven't noticed any procedure calls on him in recent weeks. In regards to the OL, I didn't expect them to be great, but at least solid. The way we were physically dominated 3 weeks in a row with ND, (especially)Pitt, and FSU was definitely disheartening.

Bleich worked at C. Didn’t work out.
He hasn't worked out at any of the positions. His injuries seemed to interfere with the talent he originally had.

vet would not start for any other ACC team...

vet would not start for any other ACC team...
That is not an informed opinion.

Let’s take our opponent this week.

BC has an awful offensive line with almost no experience. No only would Vet start, he would be their best OL.

He might not start for all ACC schools but there are a bunch that would love to have him.

The success of the OL next season will likely hinge on the transfer portal. Need a C and OT

I think we need a G just as much if not more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom