This years biggest disappointment is the OL | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

This years biggest disappointment is the OL

I think we need a G just as much if not more.
I think we have a high end guard trapped in his current body, needs to get down to 340. And if Bliech comes back and gets his legs right he will be solid.

I think DT is fine, if healthy. The 2nd DE is the issue. We need a guy there. That and having one DE the size of a S. Plus we used Thompson at the LOS a lot. Huge difference not having him this year.
I know everyone thinks this but the physical abuse they take is not for a 270lber. the minute that guy gets doubled he is f c d. It’s basic physics. Also I have seen us as a 2 gap read line sometimes and it’s not for a small nose. Now pure gapping hitting all the time Lin e maybe. Physically we won’t hold up next year either and our goys may be great 1-3 quarters.

Every position should be looked to be upgraded. Every year you should be trying to find better and better players

OK,,so far as Vett is concerned as a center, how many procedure calls were his doing with head bobs? How many snaps were/have been off target with Vett at center over the years? Shrader ought to get a gold glove award! Against Wake, when Shrader got sacked twice in succession, Vet got beat with a speed rush from the outside and then failed to pick up a line stunt on his inside for the 2nd sack. I wish he was more talented, but he's not.

I feel like you could post this 9 out of 10 seasons for Syracuse football going back to 1965…

OK,,so far as Vett is concerned as a center, how many procedure calls were his doing with head bobs? How many snaps were/have been off target with Vett at center over the years? Shrader ought to get a gold glove award! Against Wake, when Shrader got sacked twice in succession, Vet got beat with a speed rush from the outside and then failed to pick up a line stunt on his inside for the 2nd sack. I wish he was more talented, but he's not.
I don't know what all the penalties were, but per PFF, Vett has been called for 14!!! penalties, twice as many as they next highest center in the ACC

I don't know what all the penalties were, but per PFF, Vett has been called for 14!!! penalties, twice as many as they next highest center in the ACC
well..."Holding number 52" comes to mind.
Look, I don't mean to dog Vett. But there is a level of play//a level of talent
on a CUSE roster that is way too prevalent and keeps us in the bottom half of the ACC.

I feel like you could post this 9 out of 10 seasons for Syracuse football going back to 1965…

Outside of 2012 I cannot recall a good OL. Those McNabb teams struggled to pass block but were good run blockers. In today's game where teams pass it 50x a game, they would struggle. The fact that we used to only throw it 25x a game back then and had a great escape artist hid the issue.

Does that not impact their grade? That should have a BIG impact as you put your team in a hole. Missing a block on a run that goes for 1 yard is minimal damage. Getting a hold is huge.

Does that not impact their grade? That should have a BIG impact as you put your team in a hole. Missing a block on a run that goes for 1 yard is minimal damage. Getting a hold is huge.
I believe it does impact their overall grade on pFF

Looking at YPC in conference games since joining the ACC...

2022 8th
2021 2nd
2020 14th (out of 15 that year)
2019 12th
2018 8th
2017 9th
2016 14th

2015 8th
2014 13th
2013 3rd

Only once have we been in the top half of the ACC in the last 9 seasons.

I don't expect this to change much as Anae's UVA teams were top half of the ACC once and that was only 6th (13th, 14th, 9th, 6th, 8th, 9th).

This year is different. On paper this unit lined up to be the best in decades, multiple multi year starters with legit P5 stature. Instead of being an advantage they have underwhelmed. I think there were multiple factors but i was expecting much better performance.

There is definitely some validity to this. Shrader's mobility and playmaking aptitude helped mask some shaky OL play. Same with Dungey a few years ago.

And the same that McNabb did back in the day [although the OL was "better" back then. But QBs being able to get out of the pocket and make plays on the move -- whether running or throwing -- helps mask OL issues. McNabb used to get pressured but would pop out of the pocket and make plays, so nobody paid attention to the OL allowing the pressure.

Same as it ever was.

Also throw in running the option (really well) with mcnabb to hide oline deficiencies.

This year is different. On paper this unit lined up to be the best in decades, multiple multi year starters with legit P5 stature. Instead of being an advantage they have underwhelmed. I think there were multiple factors but i was expecting much better performance.
It's especially frustrating given that injuries were such an issue the last few years, and the unit was able to avoid the same level of disaster this year.

Outside of Bergeron, how would one have those expectations? Last year’s OL was one of our worst in a long time, and we basically returned everyone.

I was hoping for improvement, which I feel they have given us, but to think they would turn into world beaters is placing unfair expectations on them - not to mention learning an entire new playbook and new scheme…

The issues in the run gave have been compounded by losing Elmore, who was absolutely phenomenal in his role.

Sorry to say I’m not sold on Schmidt as line coach. He hasn’t shown he can recruit and he hasn’t shown he can coach up average talent. He continues to get a free pass.
Im not giving Schmidt a pass but you can only coach them up so much. Other things become the bigger factors. Grit, film study, leadership but sometimes you can do all that and still be average compared to your opponents. We also dont know how much say he has on schemes and techniques used. Last year he had input and we were one of the best rushing teams in the country.

But he gets great ratings...

But he gets great ratings...

14 penalties isn’t good. But you don’t think the other 664 snaps are a factor in the grades? Gotcha.

Im not giving Schmidt a pass but you can only coach them up so much. Other things become the bigger factors. Grit, film study, leadership but sometimes you can do all that and still be average compared to your opponents. We also dont know how much say he has on schemes and techniques used. Last year he had input and we were one of the best rushing teams in the country.
This.

He improved Bergs pff grade by 20 points, last year. They needed to do something different, last year, and ran a bunch of Schmidt plays. One reason for so much success in the run game. He can coach an offensive line. A different approach, this year. (Which was very successful for the 1st 6 games) He's a technician, and gives them more tools than they previously had. More guys will reach their full potential.

Last edited:
They have 600 analysts that look at every player and every play. They have a grading system to determine the overall grade. Those grades come out about 24 hours after a game. Then they have about 20-30 more senior analysts that review everything and will make tweaks if needed and update the grade where necessary. Those final grades come out Monday night or Tuesday. Many former NFL players are involved both as shareholders and as analysts. Every NFL team and 75% of BCS teams have a subscription. But teams can also get an even more detailed report than the average fan can. Cris Collinsworth is the majority shareholder I believe. I don’t know all the shareholders but I know Chip Kelly was a doubter and they invited him to their offices to see how they do the grading etc and besides becoming a user he also decided to become a shareholder. It isn’t a Big Game Boomer website.

Now you know the rest of the story.
PFF is pretty good. I imagine its more accurate at the NFL level.. They DO have to make some assumptions on responsibilities on Oline. I'm certain that if a guy to someones left or right looks like they may miss something? The other guy may try to help. Sometimes it looks like the guy trying to bail out the other guy is at fault... (much less likely at the NFL level) The guy to their left or right CAN affect their PFF grade. Just one of those botched assignments can dramatically drop a guys grade. (Even if they didnt botch theirs)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom