Class of 2014 - Thomas Holley | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Thomas Holley

Not sure why it is so hard to move on from this kid. It would take a very special person who has offers from the top programs to choose SU right now, someone who:
1). Is not whiny about winter.
2). Takes the concept of being a student-athlete seriously.
3). Is not overwhelmed by facilities.
4). Wants to be part of building something special.
5). Doesn't need stadiums full of 80K diehards at home games to motivate him to do his best

NYC is a different world and even if it weren't SU would have a hard time attracting a five star from Jamesville.
SU has a lot to offer but it does not have the universal appeal of a PSU or ND (believe me, I spit up when I think of these schools)

SU didn't make Holley's top 5 and might not have been in his top 10 so there is no reason for him to consider SU if he decommits from Larry Johnson U. Good luck to him and now it is time for Shafer and staff to find some interior d-line depth.

Not sure why it is so hard to move on from this kid. It would take a very special person who has offers from the top programs to choose SU right now, someone who:
1). Is not whiny about winter.
2). Takes the concept of being a student-athlete seriously.
3). Is not overwhelmed by facilities.
4). Wants to be part of building something special.
5). Doesn't need stadiums full of 80K diehards at home games to motivate him to do his best

NYC is a different world and even if it weren't SU would have a hard time attracting a five star from Jamesville.
SU has a lot to offer but it does not have the universal appeal of a PSU or ND (believe me, I spit up when I think of these schools)

SU didn't make Holley's top 5 and might not have been in his top 10 so there is no reason for him to consider SU if he decommits from Larry Johnson U. Good luck to him and now it is time for Shafer and staff to find some interior d-line depth.

you were doing good until the last paragraph

I think top 3 of PSU...UF......SU
Who got the official visits?...I think SU and his buddy Terrell got a courtesy visit in the summer. I think he was more impressed with SU than he thought he would be but that he never was able to imagine himself at SU- could be wrong, just my interpretation of his comments and actions.

@NYPost_Brazille: Holley would likely stay with Penn State if assistant Larry Johnson does too

Im surprised Syracuse isnt in a better standing with Holley. Acc school on the rise, where numerous down state prospects have had success in turning around a once proud program. Excellent education, outstanding coaches, and most important, a chance to play early against some of the best competition in America. What more could you want? Whats the obsession with being a small fish in a big pond when you can make a name for yourself and be seen at a place like SU? Its an equation that has proven to work, ie Jones' bros (albeit no nearly as highly recruited). Theyre is a saying that is used often in college sports, "If you're good enough, scouts will find you." How well has the Ishaq mentality worked out for the highly ranked downstate talent? Anyhow, rant over..but im just so surprised Syracuse hasnt been able to break through... especially after 3 bowl win in 4 years. Give me a break

Down
Im surprised Syracuse isnt in a better standing with Holley. Acc school on the rise, where numerous down state prospects have had success in turning around a once proud program. Excellent education, outstanding coaches, and most important, a chance to play early against some of the best competition in America. What more could you want? Whats the obsession with being a small fish in a big pond when you can make a name for yourself and be seen at a place like SU? Its an equation that has proven to work, ie Jones' bros (albeit no nearly as highly recruited). Theyre is a saying that is used often in college sports, "If you're good enough, scouts will find you." How well has the Ishaq mentality worked out for the highly ranked downstate talent? Anyhow, rant over..but im just so surprised Syracuse hasnt been able to break through... especially after 3 bowl win in 4 years. Give me a break
people in the NYC metro think very highly of themselves and don't think much of the rest of the state. If you've ever lived down there you've seen it. It doesn't make sense but it is what it is.

you were doing good until the last paragraph
He didn't even want to take an official here. I'd say we didn't make his top 5.

I don't consider us being in his top 5-10 though mainly because he never had any interest in coming here.

He didn't even want to take an official here. I'd say we didn't make his top 5.

I don't consider us being in his top 5-10 though mainly because he never had any interest in coming here.

and he visited 5 or 6 schools with Syracuse being 1. Highly doubt he was considering someone he never even visited

and he visited 5 or 6 schools with Syracuse being 1. Highly doubt he was considering someone he never even visited
He visited to chill with Terrel and despite what he said in interviews it really didn't change us that much.

Fantasyland Twitter

@THolley: After a long talk with my homie THunt I have decided to bring honor to the Empire State and attend the rising Syracuse program, I love their freakin coach too.

Penn State, Florida, what was I thinking?
GOD DAMNIT.

I read this without looking at the "fantasyland twitter"

I was so damn excited.

Just an experiment, but bear with me. Imagine you read this above paragraph on a Boston College board talking about some stud NYC high school basketball player Syracuse was also recruiting (or whatever school, bear with me here). That post would be endlessly mocked on this board.

The cognitive dissonance on this board when it comes to the different ways some posters project their thoughts and values onto the decision making of recruits never fails to amaze me.

Down

people in the NYC metro think very highly of themselves and don't think much of the rest of the state. If you've ever lived down there you've seen it. It doesn't make sense but it is what it is.

What?

Good...he is the first "LJ" defection. I wonder if others follow?

Well, they kept LJ hanging until a couple of commits signed and started school. Coincidence? I think not.

According to an online source, Tarow Barney, Antoine White, and Chasz Wright, early enrollees all, were recruited by LJ.

Last edited:
Pretty amazing how SU is not even on his radar. City kid with great friends starting all over the field, tremendous academic reputation, chance to play A LOT early in his career and lastly, a program on the rise with an inspiring and caring head coach. I get tradition and all that goes with it, but... Kinda a head scratcher.. Seems like a great kid, hope it works out for him..
It continues to amaze me that we are not the first program in state quality players think of attending. Holley Ollison and last year's batch. Its really something the staff needs to address. Sign sa" Syracuse University,New York's team isn't working nor did I ever think it would. A lame costly expense by Gross that hasn't paid off. Somehow Illinois has become the hub for recruiting purposes thanks to HCSS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom