Thompson's future | Syracusefan.com

Thompson's future

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I am not as high on TT as everyone else. Two things that I think people bring to the party from the day they set foot on campus are effort and game sense. I don't see either in TT. I think he will score the ball, and be a force on O, but he had better score a boat load because I don't see his D or board work improving by leaps and bounds due to lack of effort.

I'll throw in another concern: losers develop bad habits.

It's more difficult for everyone when a team hasn't got veteran leadership and the losses start to pile up.

We saw Thompson come in with good court sense, at least in terms of passing ability, in November. Now he shoots on virtually every touch. Discouraging.

It's more difficult for everyone when a team hasn't got veteran leadership and the losses start to pile up.

We saw Thompson come in with good court sense, at least in terms of passing ability, in November. Now he shoots on virtually every touch. Discouraging.

JB prolly told him to score, sounds like he does in the presser. He has no DeJuan in the low post anymore and Lydon doesn't spend enough time down there for the TT pocket pass.

I am not as high on TT as everyone else. Two things that I think people bring to the party from the day they set foot on campus are effort and game sense. I don't see either in TT. I think he will score the ball, and be a force on O, but he had better score a boat load because I don't see his D or board work improving by leaps and bounds due to lack of effort.
He looks like a good offensive player but we play zone and this dude is the opposite of athletic. Not sure how I feel about him.

That isn't completely fair. He's by far the best freshman big man we have had in years, maybe decades. Why would we assume he won't improve in all aspects for next year? I think he's going to be a very solid player for us next year.

Thompson will be fine...He was up all second half cheering the team on. He has wanted to play since day 1. Does he need to learn the zone a bit more...yea def. Overall he can put the ball in the hoop and that is a lot of what we need.

He's got a nice shooting touch(which you pretty much either have or you don't), and has some nice footwork and offensive moves. To me, he's already got the stuff down that's more difficult to develop.

Improving shot selection and defense seems like it should be very doable.

Shoots 53% from the field, so I'm fine with it.

I have literally 0 worries about Thompson. The defense will come along.

0 worries.

Tsquare sure knows how to score. catches the ball well goes to the hole . not sure he knows how to win.

Same here. Until he starts to at least pretend to care about defense and rebounding he's going to drive me nuts.

Tsquare sure knows how to score. catches the ball well goes to the hole . not sure he knows how to win.

This is ridiculous.

I guess Duany, Warrick, Forth, McNeil, and Pace, didn't know "how to win" either. Good teams win, teams with great players win.

winning takes more than just scoring. that's my point. TT needs to round out his game.

This is ridiculous.

I guess Duany, Warrick, Forth, McNeil, and Pace, didn't know "how to win" either. Good teams win, teams with great players win.

I think that's one of the under-played bits of good fortunate SU's experienced.

Twice we've had core groups of vets completely rebuild a group of losers into a fairly sustainable winning program. Huge credit to the group you mentioned overcoming the stink of the dysfunctional two teams that preceded it (the over-achieving Allen Griffin 2001 team had some of the problems that would boil over and submarine the next season, his leadership helped keep them on the same page).

More credit still goes to Rautins and Scoop in 2009. It can be difficult to turn around a toxic culture, even with good talent.

some of his issues will be solved with getting stronger, better shape he wont get as tired, his hands till stay up, he gets more rebounds..

he has much of the skill stuff down

I think that's one of the under-played bits of good fortunate SU's experienced.

Twice we've had core groups of vets completely rebuild a group of losers into a fairly sustainable winning program. Huge credit to the group you mentioned overcoming the stink of the dysfunctional two teams that preceded it (the over-achieving Allen Griffin 2001 team had some of the problems that would boil over and submarine the next season, his leadership helped keep them on the same page).

More credit still goes to Rautins and Scoop in 2009. It can be difficult to turn around a toxic culture, even with good talent.

It's a mix and I understand that. Credit is due to the 4 year guys to keep the team together, and credit is due to the early entrants who bring NBA talent to our team. Saying one or the other is just stupid IMO.

Sorry - he may be skilled but he's not a winning player.

Lazy and doesn't care on defense.

Unless his attitude changes, the team's defense won't change as long as he's playing.

some of his issues will be solved with getting stronger, better shape he wont get as tired, his hands till stay up, he gets more rebounds..

he has much of the skill stuff down

Projects with talent are much better than projects with little to none. Here's hoping he develops like Rak, maybe, rather than TRoberts.

It's a mix and I understand that. Credit is due to the 4 year guys to keep the team together, and credit is due to the early entrants who bring NBA talent to our team. Saying one or the other is just stupid IMO.

For sure, but nearly every talented NBA type needs to be taught how to work in college, especially at a funny system school like SU.

For a couple years I was concerned what would happen when Keitas and Triches graduated out - would we continue to build on the good foundation that the 2009-2010 group built? Would our youngsters learn from the winning example set by vets?

My concerns have been realized. I don't blame the young guys, I don't blame the vets, but we've lost all our momentum. The system is no longer moving itself in the right direction. It's 2008 all over again, minus all the good recruits in the pipeline.

Did you see Fab play his freshman year? Or Etan Thomas? Or going way back, Rony Seikaly? All were bad defensive players who were always out of position. They worked hard and eventually the light went on and they got it. No reason TT can't develop as well.

the pipeline. indeed . right now those two words have me more worried than selection sunday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom