Thoughts As We Head Into The Spring/Summer Circuit | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts As We Head Into The Spring/Summer Circuit

That Joseph article. The kid definitely views this as a business decision. What he is looking for in a school, we have it. We've put 3 guards into the lottery in the past 4 years (assuming MCW lands there), and we have the versatile bigs he's looking for. On top of that, we are his "dream school" although that is usually the kiss of death. In all seriousness, we seem to have exactly what he is looking for. Other than maybe the fact that Ennis will probably have the starting PG role locked down for the next few years.
I love the answer that JB can tell him if he's worried about being a starter. Dion Waiters:)

Yeah I was thinking that too.

Scouthoops have BJ ranked #90, Rivalss after being impressed with BJ at an event in January, said that he would be included in the final updated rankings. Who knows what those fools at ESPN will do. BJ's pops alluded to the fact that last year was BJ's first year playing high-level AAU ball with Team Final. So that was basically the first time most national scouts saw him. If he had played for them before then he would've been on the map earlier and probably would be higher ranked. It's all good tho, as we know rankings are fun to look at and debate, but it's all politics and BS at the end of the day. If BJ committed to Duke or UK then everybody would put him in the top 50 asap lol.

Thanks again. Great stuff as always. Your #3 part in your first post is spot on.

Scouthoops have BJ ranked #90, Rivalss after being impressed with BJ at an event in January, said that he would be included in the final updated rankings. Who knows what those fools at ESPN will do. BJ's pops alluded to the fact that last year was BJ's first year playing high-level AAU ball with Team Final. So that was basically the first time most national scouts saw him. If he had played for them before then he would've been on the map earlier and probably would be higher ranked. It's all good tho, as we know rankings are fun to look at and debate, but it's all politics and BS at the end of the day. If BJ committed to Duke or UK then everybody would put him in the top 50 asap lol.
It isn't just Duke and UK, we have enough respect that our recruits get serious consideration for a boost. For eg. Hak was not ranked until we offered and then he became top 100. BJ will be top 100. He deserves it. However, if we did not offer, reevaluation might not have occurred.

It isn't just Duke and UK, we have enough respect that our recruits get serious consideration for a boost. For eg. Hak was not ranked until we offered and then he became top 100. BJ will be top 100. He deserves it. However, if we did not offer, reevaluation might not have occurred.
There is a difference between being ranked in the top 100 and automatically becoming an top 25 player based off of school name like you see with Duke, UNC, and UK. Don't get me wrong, some deserve to be ranked high but I have seen plenty of players over the past 15 years or so, who received major bumps from those schools and became McDonald's All Americans when they didn't deserve it. You mean to tell me if Tyler Ennis committed to Duke, that he would've been snubbed from the burger game? comeonson.png

Like I said, rankings are fun to look at and debate but it's nothing to get worked up about. All that matters is who JB and the staff likes, whether they're ranked #1 or #250. Give me JB's talent evaluation over Dave Telep's any day of the week.

There is a difference between being ranked in the top 100 and automatically becoming an top 25 player based off of school name like you see with Duke, UNC, and UK. Don't get me wrong, some deserve to be ranked high but I have seen plenty of players over the past 15 years or so, who received major bumps from those schools and became McDonald's All Americans when they didn't deserve it. You mean to tell me if Tyler Ennis committed to Duke, that he would've been snubbed from the burger game?View attachment 3211

Like I said, rankings are fun to look at and debate but it's nothing to get worked up about. All that matters is who JB and the staff likes, whether they're ranked #1 or #250. Give me JB's talent evaluation over Dave Telep's any day of the week.
I've been around the block for less than a year here, but that bolded part says it all.
Francis, JB = Truth
ESPN = Flavor of the week

Francis - thanks for the updates! A couple of questions for the board:

1. How many of our current recruits/players do you think will jump early? Certainly McCollough. Grant, Roberson,Bryant seem like candidates to bolt early. And specifically how long do you think we have with Ennis? It just seems like the first step in the recruiting process is knowing how many and what spots need to be filled. Looks like recruiting is in hyper drive and was wondering if losing people is partly driving it.

2. Do you see anyone who can develop into giving us a post game again? We currently have DC2 and Grant. Of the new ones coming in maybe Roberson? It seems like it takes a while for the bigs to develop this at the collegiate level and is tough to get because talented bigs don't seem to stay that long.

JB told McCoullough recently that all he needs is 1 year, and is the best player he has recruited since Melo. It would be a miracle if he stays longer then 1 year.

Grant is already projected by some as a 1st rounder next year. The one thing that could make him stay to mature is he is still relatively young for a SO (19), and you would assume he is financially secure. Just speculation though. I'd say it will be 50-50 if he stays past next year.

Roberson we should see for minimum 2 years mainly due to lack of significant PT next season.

Bryant seems like a 1 and done

Also would throw in Coleman leaving if he shows progress next season just due to the fact he will already be 21 years old.

Also would throw in Coleman leaving if he shows progress next season just due to the fact he will already be 21 years old.

Where is Coleman going to go? He's nowhere near the NBA right now, and needs an absolutely monster summer and sophomore year to even be considered. His game needs a ton of refinement and as a guy that isn't overly athletic or quick, he won't have the potential that other guys will. Not every guy should consider leaving early just because they'll be 21. He'll need to have a monster DeJuan Blair type season, since they are similar players, to be an NBA draft pick after next year, IMO.

Now if he wants to leave to go earn money overseas, that would make sense.

Where is Coleman going to go? He's nowhere near the NBA right now, and needs an absolutely monster summer and sophomore year to even be considered. His game needs a ton of refinement and as a guy that isn't overly athletic or quick, he won't have the potential that other guys will. Not every guy should consider leaving early just because they'll be 21. He'll need to have a monster DeJuan Blair type season, since they are similar players, to be an NBA draft pick after next year, IMO.

I don't think DC2 is going anywhere soon either. I think that DC2 would be one to stay here a little longer than most had thought because external factors line up well with him for SU. He is a local kid who probably cares more about his legacy with the school than most. Doesn't seem like one to leave early to go overseas to me.

After hearing that Pat video on Ennis, I now think his time is limited. It sounds like the NBA is his plan and part of that sacrafice was going to Newark. SU is a piece of the overall plan to get to the NBA. My over/under is now at 2 years. Selling Kaleb on the MCW/Dion/Ennis plan is probably in the works. Something along the lines of we're turning people over to the league every other year, worst case scenario is you get a Dion role - or if it happens early -like MCW did for Ennis- you get the keys immediately.

People said the same thing about Fab Melo. Coleman is better rebounding the ball and twice as better scoring it than Fab was. I can't remember the last time an SU Center got significant PT. Turnovers and bringing the ball down off rebounds are MINOR problems, that I'm sure EVERY big man has when transitioning from high school to Big East basketball.

Stop ripping on Coleman. If he played for UK this season he'd have been a 1 and done. Fortunately for Dejuan, he chose Syracuse and Boeheim. This will allow him to fix and mature his game another year over the summer...and become the superstar that everyone knows he can be.

sure not every guy should consider leaving, but they do. The first chance most of these kids have to jump at the opportunity of going pro they will. it's how it is these days. you can say everyone needs to stay and work on their game no matter who it is. it still doesn't change the poor decisions these kids make year after year , flame out after flame out.

People said the same thing about Fab Melo. Coleman is better rebounding the ball and twice as better scoring it than Fab was. I can't remember the last time an SU Center got significant PT. Turnovers and bringing the ball down off rebounds are MINOR problems, that I'm sure EVERY big man has when transitioning from high school to Big East basketball.

Stop ripping on Coleman. If he played for UK this season he'd have been a 1 and done. Fortunately for Dejuan, he chose Syracuse and Boeheim. This will allow him to fix and mature his game another year over the summer...and become the superstar that everyone knows he can be.

How am I ripping on Coleman? His game isn't close to being NBA level right now. Sorry, but that's the truth. He has to be able to do more offensively than try lowering his shoulder and going through defenders. He needs to develop the hook shot, he needs to work on some sort of short J. While he's quick for his size, he's not quick overall. Those are all things he needs to work on and really improve. He's not a 7 footer (or even 6'10") so being technically sound is something he absolutely must achieve. As I said, for him to leave early (and it be a good move), he must have a fantastic summer of improvement and then follow it up with a huge season. It's hard to see that all happening. This summer and another summer of improvement will be huge for his pro prospects.

Fab was a true 7 footer and more athletic than DC. That alone was all he needed.

Here's who I would guess leave early, in decreasing order of years at SU
McCullough 1-2
Roberson 1-3
Grant 2-3
Ennis 3-4

Also, Roberson has a great low post game. DC2 and Tyler would seem to have the best inside chances for scoring, but just not sure that's how they utilize Roberson next year. Still, I expect more inside scoring points next year as compared to this year, from any of DC2, CJ, Grant and Roberson.

Roberson is not going to be one-and-done. Sorry. I know he was the best player in NJ last year, but his game isn't ready. He lacks the physicality of an NBA 4 and the athleticism and 3 point shooting of an NBA 3.

I don't think DC2 is going anywhere soon either. I think that DC2 would be one to stay here a little longer than most had thought because external factors line up well with him for SU. He is a local kid who probably cares more about his legacy with the school than most. Doesn't seem like one to leave early to go overseas to me.

After hearing that Pat video on Ennis, I now think his time is limited. It sounds like the NBA is his plan and part of that sacrafice was going to Newark. SU is a piece of the overall plan to get to the NBA. My over/under is now at 2 years. Selling Kaleb on the MCW/Dion/Ennis plan is probably in the works. Something along the lines of we're turning people over to the league every other year, worst case scenario is you get a Dion role - or if it happens early -like MCW did for Ennis- you get the keys immediately.

I think for the smart kids who are 5 star or close prospects, you can sell a 2 year plan. One year just doesn't work that well, from the standpoint of the team.

Roberson is not going to be one-and-done. Sorry. I know he was the best player in NJ last year, but his game isn't ready. He lacks the physicality of an NBA 4 and the athleticism and 3 point shooting of an NBA 3.
:eek::eek::eek:

:)
All good. I respect your opinion. As long as you're on board with us when we make another deep run.
I'm talking deep!

He does have that physicality though, and he's tougher than anyone on the court every game I've seen (inclusive of all post season games).

But yeah, I agree that he stays til at least soph. But my reason is different than yours. Playing time.
Again, some critical variables involved here to determine our speculations: CJ, CJ and CJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom