Thoughts on Portal and SU NIL use | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Portal and SU NIL use

kcsu

Living Legend
Based on my knowledge Syracuse has a decent amount of NIL to work with. Not Miami or some of the big boys but way more than many schools. In watching the JMU game last night it was brought up that JMU obtained kids that are major contributors this year from some pier schools but also from a division or two lower.
Because of the fact that once a kid transfers it is harder to transfer again, I believe that a solid strategy is to split each incoming class of let's say 25 players equally between portal and HS. Focus on younger portal players and give the most value to those that can start or make the two deep immediately followed by those in the portal that will have two or more years to play. Each year SU should bring in two QBs. One from the portal as long as they can enroll in time for spring ball and the other a HS player. I would also place a strong emphasis on portal players at OL, DL, WR, Kickers, and CBs. Each year at a minimum we should bring in three Portal OL, Two DL, Two CBs, one WR and fill other positions that need depth.

HS players are a crap shoot. They take time to develop and if they don't start, they are most likely going to be looking for a new home if they are talented. Portal players are the best long-term bet for a team like SU and I hope that Dino and or our next coach shifts gears and makes a concentrated effort in this area as i truly believe it plays to Dinos strength as a leader and to the culture that he has built at SU. Dino is made for second chance kids. He needs to focus on it going forward.

100% agree. Been saying this all along. In the current landscape we should be all in on this strategy. The transfer already has a year of NCAA experience, practice, and training so they are better prepared than a true freshman to make an impact immediately, plus they are making more of a real commitment to the program than a freshman recruit as they can not transfer to another program without sitting out a year.

spot on. Also use NIL to retain your best players attract sure fire Portal kids. QBs as our leader likes to say are the straw that stirs the drink. Lots of kids looking to play at schools all over the country that we can make a go with. The kid from JMU is much better than any QB on our team at this time. I mean Darton starts for us and does well. We should be able to find a Darton or two every year. Look what the kids we brought in this year are doing. Double down on that strategy and within three years the team has a solid roster that is most likely going to stay.

Based on my knowledge Syracuse has a decent amount of NIL to work with. Not Miami or some of the big boys but way more than many schools. In watching the JMU game last night it was brought up that JMU obtained kids that are major contributors this year from some pier schools but also from a division or two lower.
Because of the fact that once a kid transfers it is harder to transfer again, I believe that a solid strategy is to split each incoming class of let's say 25 players equally between portal and HS. Focus on younger portal players and give the most value to those that can start or make the two deep immediately followed by those in the portal that will have two or more years to play. Each year SU should bring in two QBs. One from the portal as long as they can enroll in time for spring ball and the other a HS player. I would also place a strong emphasis on portal players at OL, DL, WR, Kickers, and CBs. Each year at a minimum we should bring in three Portal OL, Two DL, Two CBs, one WR and fill other positions that need depth.

HS players are a crap shoot. They take time to develop and if they don't start, they are most likely going to be looking for a new home if they are talented. Portal players are the best long-term bet for a team like SU and I hope that Dino and or our next coach shifts gears and makes a concentrated effort in this area as i truly believe it plays to Dinos strength as a leader and to the culture that he has built at SU. Dino is made for second chance kids. He needs to focus on it going forward.
I was thinking that SU always seems to get talent at certain areas, ATH/RB, FB, sometimes WR, DE, LB, DB, and P/K. Should definitely emphasize portal for QB, OL, WR, TE, and DT

People focus way too much on the couple of guys we may lose to the portal each season, and not nearly enough on the opportunity to bring in 10+ players of need every year.

Between guys at upper tier P5 schools who have been beat out or didn’t get a fair shake, and guys at lower tier FBS and FCS schools who have blown up, we really have a unique chance to be a strong landing spot.

I hate the way Dino’s been talking about NIL and the portal the last few weeks. If he’s not going to seize this opportunity we need to find someone who will.

I hate the way Dino’s been talking about NIL and the portal the last few weeks. If he’s not going to seize this opportunity we need to find someone who will.

I don’t know what they are, an attempt to get more and bigger donations, but he has his own reasons for speaking out recently. We’ve certainly used NIL to help keep several players. And he’s used the portal quite extensively though not as much as a handful of teams.

I like this thread - it reminds me of the scene in Moneyball where Billy Beane is sitting at the table with his scouts and telling them that they need to completely rethink the way they do things.

My only caveat to making relatively quick strategic changes is that NIL and the portal are still new. We still don’t know how these things will evolve, but what we do know is this is a new reality and some modification in the way things are done must be made. The 1/2, 1/2 strategy for openers makes a lot of sense.

1697907076156.png

I don’t know what they are, an attempt to get more and bigger donations, but he has his own reasons for speaking out recently. We’ve certainly used NIL to help keep several players. And he’s used the portal quite extensively though not as much as a handful of teams.
He is using it as an excuse.

I’m sure he has his reasons. I just don’t care for the way he’s doing it. But then I’m not a fan of a lot of the ways Dino does his job.

I’m sure he has his reasons. I just don’t care for the way he’s doing it. But then I’m not a fan of a lot of the ways Dino does his job.
^This^ He shouldn't be commenting on this publically regardless of his reasons. That kind of stuff doesn't fly well with JW (see JB from last season). And, IMO, it's a bad look. I would guess that the big donors - the guys funding the Lally Complex and NIL - are probably not happy with this either.

^This^ He shouldn't be commenting on this publically regardless of his reasons. That kind of stuff doesn't fly well with JW (see JB from last season). And, IMO, it's a bad look. I would guess that the big donors - the guys funding the Lally Complex and NIL - are probably not happy with this either.
Lally is a big fan of Dino. I agree, the less said the better.

My money is on he’s using it as a call out to donors for more money if we want to be competitive with the 3 teams we just played.
Not going to argue that more money always helps but there are other fundamental issues with the program beyond money as to why we can’t be competitive with teams like that regularly. And it starts with the HC. You give Dino a level playing field on talent and it still doesn’t change the fact that his teams are undisciplined and that he can’t gameday coach his way out of a paper bag. Even with more talent he’s still going to be losing to better coaches.

My money is on he’s using it as a call out to donors for more money if we want to be competitive with the 3 teams we just played.
Are you saying duke is up 3 at the half at FSU tonight because they’ve been killing it with NIL?

spot on. Also use NIL to retain your best players attract sure fire Portal kids. QBs as our leader likes to say are the straw that stirs the drink. Lots of kids looking to play at schools all over the country that we can make a go with. The kid from JMU is much better than any QB on our team at this time. I mean Darton starts for us and does well. We should be able to find a Darton or two every year. Look what the kids we brought in this year are doing. Double down on that strategy and within three years the team has a solid roster that is most likely going to stay.
The only part you’re off about is Dino as head coach…you’ve tried over and over again to rationalize him as our head coach for the future and the sample size is glaring. Virginia just beat NC at NC, and many of these other teams are being more competitive in the ACC that are supposedly not as good should give you some indication as to why we desperately need a change

The only part you’re off about is Dino as head coach…you’ve tried over and over again to rationalize him as our head coach for the future and the sample size is glaring. Virginia just beat NC at NC, and many of these other teams are being more competitive in the ACC that are supposedly not as good should give you some indication as to why we desperately need a change
I agree with you. My point has been get to 7 wins stay. If not he goes. Im on record saying he is a poor game day coach and x and o guy.
Hes more of a figure head. My sense unfortunately is the remaining games will take care of his future.

I agree with you. My point has been get to 7 wins stay. If not he goes. Im on record saying he is a poor game day coach and x and o guy.
Hes more of a figure head. My sense unfortunately is the remaining games will take care of his future.
Kcsu I respect you and your opinion and I’ve also appreciated your insight. I think Dino could serve the University in a different capacity. He’s got the passion, he’s a good speaker and I don’t dislike him but I just feel it’s time to move in regardless if it is 7 wins. We need to set the bar high. Look at these other teams in the league? They are all competing, even at 1-5 look at Virginia it’s just crazy to me that we can’t compete like we should

Based on my knowledge Syracuse has a decent amount of NIL to work with. Not Miami or some of the big boys but way more than many schools.

What is a “decent” amount of NIL? There are 133 division I football programs. Is "decent" better than 45% of the teams but not as good as the top 40%? If yes, then a decent ranking would put Syracuse somewhere between 50th and 70th among all division I programs.

Wife: "Honey, how was dinner?"

Husband: "Babe, it was decent."

Try that at home. Let me know how it goes.

According to on3, a recruiting website, our 2024 class is ranked 56th, so we are decent.

According to another recruiting website, 247sports, we are ranked 53rd, so they also think our 2024 class is decent.

The problem with being decent on a national scale is that we end up being not very good when measured against ACC competition.
  • Against ACC teams, on3 has Syracuse ranked 13th out of 17 teams.
  • Against ACC teams, 247sports has our class ranked 12th our of 17 teams.

I dont' know what "a decent amount of NIL to work with" is. But I know a decent recruiting class actually sucks and is not competitive when measure against other ACC programs.

Can you tell us how our NIL opportunities compare to those of other teams in the ACC?

I think it will be very challenging to have decent NIL and decent recruiting and still play very good or compete on the field in the ACC. In order to do better, we need better NIL and better recruiting.

He is using it as an excuse.

If a player slips while turning up field in the rain making an excuse when he says he slipped in the rain? Or is he merely stating facts that contributed to his slipping?

If we expect to compete in the ACC, we need to compare our efforts to other teams in the conference, not to all division I teams and not to the past at Syracuse.

Virginia just beat NC at NC, and many of these other teams are being more competitive in the ACC that are supposedly not as good should give you some indication as to why we desperately need a change

Virginia beating UNC is an outlier. Did anyone here really see that coming? Play that game nine more times and my money will be on UNC every time.

I also did not see...
  • BC over Georgia Tech
  • Wake over Pitt
  • Miami over Clemson

I am optimistic about the rest of the season. 4-3 is exactly where I thought Syracuse would be at this point in the season.

Let's see how it plays out.

Virginia beating UNC is an outlier. Did anyone here really see that coming? Play that game nine more times and my money will be on UNC every time.

I also did not see...
  • BC over Georgia Tech
  • Wake over Pitt
  • Miami over Clemson

I am optimistic about the rest of the season. 4-3 is exactly where I thought Syracuse would be at this point in the season.

Let's see how it plays out.
Love your posts and insight, but Dino going for a field goal down 3 scores was a bad decision.
Being a military brat, you never guit, and that's what he did.
This next game is a make or break for Dino at Syracuse.
He can't afford to lose at Virginia Tech.

Based on my knowledge Syracuse has a decent amount of NIL to work with. Not Miami or some of the big boys but way more than many schools.

Can we define “decent”?

We’re on an anonymous message board so please feel free to share some numbers. No need for exact amounts but even ballpark ideas would be very helpful and appreciated

Dino going for a field goal down 3 scores was a bad decision.
Being a military brat, you never guit, and that's what he did.
This next game is a make or break for Dino at Syracuse.
He can't afford to lose at Virginia Tech.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote.

I watched a lot of football yesterday and there seemed to questionable coaching decisions in every game. Dino is not alone in this category.

Has Dino made a coaching decision that cost us the game the way Cristobal cost Miami the game against Georgia Tech? Serious question, because I don't recall.

I love analytics, but too many times people, fans and announcers lean on analytics like it's the holy grail. Analytics are guidelines and not the holy grail. For analytics to be more than a guideline the data has to be specific to the match up, your offensive line versus your opponent's defense. The data would have to account for the current weather conditions and field conditions. What analytics cannot measure is momentum.

Yesterday, early in the game, FSU had the ball on their own 36, it was 4th and 1 and the announcers were saying the analytics say you need to go for it here (roll the dice). FSU went for it and got stopped. Four plays later Duke kicked a field goal and was up 10-0. IMO, the better move would have been to punt and flip the field. Fortunately for FSU this call did not cost FSU the game. For Syracuse, neither the attempted 57-yard field goal against Army or the missed FG attempt against FSU (4th and 11 at the FSU 19, down 3-24 in the 2nd quarter) cost us the game. IMO way too much is being made about those calls.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom