Thoughts on Portal and SU NIL use | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Portal and SU NIL use

What is a “decent” amount of NIL? There are 133 division I football programs. Is "decent" better than 45% of the teams but not as good as the top 40%? If yes, then a decent ranking would put Syracuse somewhere between 50th and 70th among all division I programs.

Wife: "Honey, how was dinner?"

Husband: "Babe, it was decent."

Try that at home. Let me know how it goes.

According to on3, a recruiting website, our 2024 class is ranked 56th, so we are decent.

According to another recruiting website, 247sports, we are ranked 53rd, so they also think our 2024 class is decent.

The problem with being decent on a national scale is that we end up being not very good when measured against ACC competition.
  • Against ACC teams, on3 has Syracuse ranked 13th out of 17 teams.
  • Against ACC teams, 247sports has our class ranked 12th our of 17 teams.

I dont' know what "a decent amount of NIL to work with" is. But I know a decent recruiting class actually sucks and is not competitive when measure against other ACC programs.

Can you tell us how our NIL opportunities compare to those of other teams in the ACC?

I think it will be very challenging to have decent NIL and decent recruiting and still play very good or compete on the field in the ACC. In order to do better, we need better NIL and better recruiting.

If a player slips while turning up field in the rain making an excuse when he says he slipped in the rain? Or is he merely stating facts that contributed to his slipping?

If we expect to compete in the ACC, we need to compare our efforts to other teams in the conference, not to all division I teams and not to the past at Syracuse.
Where does JMU, Rutgers, NDSU, Coastal Carolina Wake rank on NIL?

Where does JMU, Rutgers, NDSU, Coastal Carolina Wake rank on NIL?

I don’t know and I hardly care. I care what Syracuse has and how it compares to ACC members. That’s what matters.

I’m going to assume you have no idea how much NIL $ is out there for football players and how it compares to other programs in the ACC.

I don’t know and I hardly care. I care what Syracuse has and how it compares to ACC members. That’s what matters.

I’m going to assume you have no idea how much NIL $ is out there for football players and how it compares to other programs in the ACC.
I don't know how much we have what I do know is that with good coaching and smart use of the NIL we do have that we can be competitive. Texas AM has more money than almost every school in the country and because of poor coaching loses games left and right. Good coaching matters. Good use of resources matter. It's not all about money.

Based on my knowledge Syracuse has a decent amount of NIL to work with. Not Miami or some of the big boys but way more than many schools. In watching the JMU game last night it was brought up that JMU obtained kids that are major contributors this year from some pier schools but also from a division or two lower.
Because of the fact that once a kid transfers it is harder to transfer again, I believe that a solid strategy is to split each incoming class of let's say 25 players equally between portal and HS. Focus on younger portal players and give the most value to those that can start or make the two deep immediately followed by those in the portal that will have two or more years to play. Each year SU should bring in two QBs. One from the portal as long as they can enroll in time for spring ball and the other a HS player. I would also place a strong emphasis on portal players at OL, DL, WR, Kickers, and CBs. Each year at a minimum we should bring in three Portal OL, Two DL, Two CBs, one WR and fill other positions that need depth.

HS players are a crap shoot. They take time to develop and if they don't start, they are most likely going to be looking for a new home if they are talented. Portal players are the best long-term bet for a team like SU and I hope that Dino and or our next coach shifts gears and makes a concentrated effort in this area as i truly believe it plays to Dinos strength as a leader and to the culture that he has built at SU. Dino is made for second chance kids. He needs to focus on it going forward.
Based on the size of our current class and the number of available spots it doesn’t look like that is the strategy Babers is going with. Sure some guys will leave on their own and with a little push, but i think HS will always be around 75-80% of the class.

Otherwise i’ve been saying it all along i wouldn’t go after the guys who couldn’t crack lineups at “Bigger schools”. I would go after productive kids with a chip on their shoulder from the G5 and FCS ranks. We’re never going to get established P5 transfers unless maybe it’s a QB because there is only 1 of them that can play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom