Thoughts on Summer Additions? | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Summer Additions?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
We had a few surprises last year — how many scholarships do we have left to give for 2018? Do we expect any additions similar to last year? Would love to see an experienced WR added.

We had a few surprises last year — how many scholarships do we have left to give for 2018? Do we expect any additions similar to last year? Would love to see an experienced WR added.

Not sure how many scholies we have left but another seasoned wr must be high on the priority list.

Dino will find what he needs one way or another. When I think about his last minute get of Alton Robinson (who is going to be a dynamite all ACC type player this season, IMO) I rest easy.

Dino will find what he needs one way or another. When I think about his last minute get of Alton Robinson (who is going to be a dynamite all ACC type player this season, IMO) I rest easy.
A lot of that had to do with Coach Stanard and Robinson’s coach being friends. Also heard he is a great kid.

It will be interesting to see if we keep 3-4 scholarships open beyond the normal signing period on a go-forward basis, to enable us to "mine" the grad transfer market.

Agree 100% that the WR corps could use bolstering. Heading into spring practice, OL, LB, and WR were the biggest question marks on the team. The first two [I believe] came out of spring ball in solid shape -- but WR seems worrisome. Some nice / young components, but I'm afraid that Devin Butler is just a guy, not a go-to receiver. Replacing not just Ish's but also Erv's production is going to be a challenge.

Heading into spring practice, OL, LB, and WR were the biggest question marks on the team. The first two [I believe] came out of spring ball in solid shape -- but WR seems worrisome. Some nice / young components, but I'm afraid that Devin Butler is just a guy, not a go-to receiver. Replacing not just Ish's but also Erv's production is going to be a challenge.

Agree completely about the LBs particularly when you add in the potential reinforcements we didn't see (Williams, Allison). Think slot is less of a concern than outside as I expect Pierce's numbers and usage to take a major leap. Didn't understand the Custis move - he looked even more lost than on the edge - and wonder what prompted the end to the Cordy experiment, but I think between Johnson (or Johnson) and Riley there is an answer. Butler certainly look like the "second guy" but may come on in August. The tools are there. And expected something out of RTB to no avail. If no one steps up, and if a quality 5th year doesn't materialize, I think one of the incoming frosh may get the nod.

My concern at WR is that it will make Dungey less effective. He could be a better QB this year but it may not be as noticeable without a couple guys that can get separation, have more drops, and don’t make the occasional great catch. Ish was able to replace AET but who’s next? Then as much as Ish, there’s Phillips. Ish and Phillips replaced AET and Bris. Who’s up next and can they be as effective as the last 2 years. Guess we’ll find out if it’s just a “system” thing.

This system will give you reps. You’ll either get good or you’ll be toast. So far, every year Dino has run it - they’ve struck gold. There is reason for concern, but I wouldn’t be shocked if __________ gave us a top of the ACC type performance.

I’m not too worried about WR. We have a few guys getting on campus for fall practice that should compete right away for depth chart spots.

It will be interesting to see if we keep 3-4 scholarships open beyond the normal signing period on a go-forward basis, to enable us to "mine" the grad transfer market.

Agree 100% that the WR corps could use bolstering. Heading into spring practice, OL, LB, and WR were the biggest question marks on the team. The first two [I believe] came out of spring ball in solid shape -- but WR seems worrisome. Some nice / young components, but I'm afraid that Devin Butler is just a guy, not a go-to receiver. Replacing not just Ish's but also Erv's production is going to be a challenge.

AMEN! Would be nice to see another game ready wr and backer . Probably 2 wrs. Yes, the system makes players out of previous non impactful players , buta baseline of skill and experience is needed .

I’m not too worried about WR. We have a few guys getting on campus for fall practice that should compete right away for depth chart spots.

There is a huge difference with competing for our depth chart and making an impact in the ACC . This timing of wr attrition i an afraid will have an affect on ED and our O. I haven't seen ish and ervs replacements thus think we need to open market of grad transfers to not miss a beat in the passing game . Then there are the backers, yes, a concern BUT , we have plenty of depth and athleticism. A tough assignment in the demanding T2 requiring not only los and blitzing responsibilities, but coverage in space on an island at times. Things zaire and Parris even struggled with at times in their senior years.

Assuming Johnson’s grades are ok he will likely be one. I think Dino knows we need another WR, hopefully they can find one. Maybe they save the others or maybe a walk-on or two earns one.
I have been creeping through the coaches twitter and haven't seen much. This is the month for graduation. My guess is someone will pop up soon if they are going to be on campus for summer session in June.

My concern at WR is that it will make Dungey less effective. He could be a better QB this year but it may not be as noticeable without a couple guys that can get separation, have more drops, and don’t make the occasional great catch. Ish was able to replace AET but who’s next? Then as much as Ish, there’s Phillips. Ish and Phillips replaced AET and Bris. Who’s up next and can they be as effective as the last 2 years. Guess we’ll find out if it’s just a “system” thing.
The NFL hasn't been too impressed with our receivers so far. Maybe Dino can plug in his new guys and get better results than with Shaf's guys.

The NFL hasn't been too impressed with our receivers so far. Maybe Dino can plug in his new guys and get better results than with Shaf's guys.
Sure, maybe.
Based on 2 years only, Dino's imported guys (Pierce, AET), and Shafer's guys (Phillips, Ishmael) have been better in the system than Dino's own recruits (Butler, Riley and the frosh in the 2017 class). Dino's WRs as true frosh have done very little, but they haven't had a lot of chances. Still, why not a summer addition? The staff did wonders late in the 2017 cycle -- so why not this time?

Last edited:

Yup, our guys are being tagged as system guys which isnt fair and even hypocritical as alot of the top talent come from similar RPO systems . As in baker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom