Thoughts on the Army Game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on the Army Game

There is no bigger Kennedy fan then me, I think he should be out there 100% of the time on Defense, but those turnovers were bad. I certainly don't want him to change his MO but we can't afford for him to have 3 turnovers like he did against Albany. We can agree to disagree on the type of turnovers but when a player of Kennedy's Lax IQ tries to bust through 4 albany defenders thats the definition of horrific in my mind. SU has him officially with 3 turnovers and 1 CTO. I think they missed at least one additional CTO but we all know hes a great defender I don't need to see the stats.
They see him in practice every day and Desko has given green light . Saw some Yale highlights enjoyed his takes were aggressive as was his brazen Colgate tally. Gonna be some to's along the way playing that way but impact clear. Certainly an error trying to run through middle of defense alone but biggest negative to me was I think it curtailed him from going when he had a couple of other opportunities to split later on. Run Gump Run has always been my preference in all sports. Lol

They see him in practice every day and Desko has given green light . Saw some Yale highlights enjoyed his takes were aggressive as was his brazen Colgate tally. Gonna be some to's along the way playing that way but impact clear. Certainly an error trying to run through middle of defense alone but biggest negative to me was I think it curtailed him from going when he had a couple of other opportunities to split later on. Run Gump Run has always been my preference in all sports. Lol

Agreed I all for him continuing to push in transition and take some chances, would just like to see maybe 1 tunover a game versus 3 or 4. Still he is a great player and a very underrated defender. Can't wait until he is bumped to close next year.

Agreed I all for him continuing to push in transition and take some chances, would just like to see maybe 1 tunover a game versus 3 or 4. Still he is a great player and a very underrated defender. Can't wait until he is bumped to close next year.
First game , he's normally at zero or one. Like greyhounds and uptempo play ,even like when the Bomberry freight train takes off lol, puts alot of pressure on everyone including keeping offenses honest because they gotta get back. Can weardown shallower teams
Fusco and Helmer also had some pushes that were beneficial.. Both are playing well . Fernandez will also be back this week
Switching gears, I wonder if coaches can put Trimbo in position to better use his full arsenal . At times, I sense he is pressing a bit with Dordevic out and Lipka off target. Think both needs more touches in motion

The 2 biggest keys I think are how well do we respond/contain their athleticism, and we HAVE take good/smart shots against Barretto. This team is far more athletic then either of our first 2 opponents, and if we give Barretto a couple easy saves early and allow him to settle in, then it could be a frustrating evening

The 2 biggest keys I think are how well do we respond/contain their athleticism, and we HAVE take good/smart shots against Barretto. This team is far more athletic then either of our first 2 opponents, and if we give Barretto a couple easy saves early and allow him to settle in, then it could be a frustrating evening

I think Army is really aggressive especially on D but I am not sure there all that athletic to be honest. I mean Surdick certainly is but I would put Albany as just as athletic to be honest.

I think Army is really aggressive especially on D but I am not sure there all that athletic to be honest. I mean Surdick certainly is but I would put Albany as just as athletic to be honest.
Certainly hope I’m wrong-Surdick is definitely a monster and I think it’d be a good idea to stay away from him

I tend to agree with you that while this Army team is good I dont know if its better then there team from a few years ago that beat both SU and ND. I think they are better then last years squad but not at the X and potentially not at the midfield. If this current SU team had an upper level attack unit (like SU historically has had) and or a healthy Dordevic I would like SU to win. The current offense while much better against Albany still seems like a work in progress. Were not getting anything out of the attack unit in 6 on 6 outside of Voigt against Albany and 2/3rds of the starting midfiield has struggled to start the year. I think this offense will get better potentially a lot better as the season goes on and guys like Cook and the young guys like Magnan, Quinn, Buttermore et c have a chance to gel but Army is probably one of a handful teams you really don't want to see this offense up against right now. SU needs to dominate at the X and really wear down Army and shot placement has to be light years better.
Army can negate Voigt with a good ssdm face guarding him around the crease. He does not require a long stick because he does not dodge well enough from any area on the field. That leaves longs for Rehfuss, Solomon, Curry and Trimboli. Voigt's ssdm would not slide, but all others could double with impunity. I think SU is made for Army's defense 6x6. I do not like this matchup unless SU can bring someone like Cook out of the box to foul up Army's defensive plans. Army depends on structure to counteract the other team's possible talent advantage. They do not play well when disorganized or in fluid up and down lacrosse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom