Thoughts on the Latest Depth Chart | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on the Latest Depth Chart

Question I should know the answer to but don't. Do we typically include players on the official depth chart that have to sit a year? Speaking of Funderburke.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I dont think so

I dont think so

I think so - I've seen redshirts on the sidelines in clothes with jerseys on in the past, so they'd have been issued a number I'd have to think.

I think so - I've seen redshirts on the sidelines in clothes with jerseys on in the past, so they'd have been issued a number I'd have to think.
don't believe they're on the 2-deep though - (question was depth chart - not roster)

don't believe they're on the 2-deep though - (question was depth chart - not roster)

Exactly they were never on the official depth chart, being on the sidelines wiht a number is a totally different thing.

? Your confusing two totally different things, getting assigned a # has nothign to do with being on the depth chart.

? Your confusing two totally different things, getting assigned a # has nothign to do with being on the depth chart.

Not to mention that when you are at a home game, you can see duplicate numbers on the sideline, usually worn by players sitting out a year, walk-ons that won't play, non-traveling members, etc.

Regardless of numbers and "meaning,I like that Karl Knapp has been given Doug's old #76 We currently have a great potential on the roster for the O-line in 2013 and thats without the big guy Officer.We lose Chibane and Pugh along with Alexander. We have te guys to replace them in a very high level of talent and size.:eek:

Regardless of numbers and "meaning,I like that Karl Knapp has been given Doug's old #76 We currently have a great potential on the roster for the O-line in 2013 and thats without the big guy Officer.We lose Chibane and Pugh along with Alexander. We have te guys to replace them in a very high level of talent and size.:eek:
Pretty sure Doug wore #78 when he was a player at Syracuse.

So you are actually really high on Jason Emerich rather than (Karl) Kyle Knapp. Good call, though I think both of these guys are going to be starters for multiple years.

d8f7698efa7dd367d589e9fe5630a5e25019f0ea.jpg

Doug Marrone #78

All the injured players will have to earn their starting roles back.

Which could happen after 1 practice.

The only depth chart that matters is the one that comes out during NW week.

I've never understood why guys lose positions due to legitimate injuries. I mean, if Lemon is the best player on offense, just list him as the top dog at the position and if he's hurt, play someone else. But it's a weird football coach thing that everyone who's injured suddenly plummets on the depth chart. Generally it's a small thing but in the face of making sure these kids are recovered from injuries -- and remember, most football coaches will tell you that they are looking out for the best interests of their players -- I never quite understand why they are seemingly punished for very natural issues.

Someone get Doug Marrone on the phone to clear this all up.

Someone get Doug Marrone on the phone to clear this all up.

There really isnt much to clear up, Bees noted that it was odd to see Funderburk on the depth chart due to the fact we believe he will have to sit out a year. This indicates that perhaps he has filed for a waiver and has a small chance of being eligible. There are multiple walk ons who have numbers who arent on the depth chart and in past years people who were out with injury or sitting out for academics/transfers were not on the depth chart, you dont see Foster do you?

I've never understood why guys lose positions due to legitimate injuries. I mean, if Lemon is the best player on offense, just list him as the top dog at the position and if he's hurt, play someone else. But it's a weird football coach thing that everyone who's injured suddenly plummets on the depth chart. Generally it's a small thing but in the face of making sure these kids are recovered from injuries -- and remember, most football coaches will tell you that they are looking out for the best interests of their players -- I never quite understand why they are seemingly punished for very natural issues.
Coach P had a completely different approach. I believe his policy was that a player couldn't lose their starting position as a result of injury.

Coach P had a completely different approach. I believe his policy was that a player couldn't lose their starting position as a result of injury.

Just to be clear, nobody has lost their starting job--this was just the preliminary depth chart heading INTO preseason camp.

I suppose this is a cynical evaluation of that farce (I say that bc i believe it is nowhere near what we will actually see) of a depth chart - In sum on paper, this team does not look any bigger or more athletic than any team P or RObinson put on the field during the preceding decade.

The defense is tiny. Other than the d-tackle position, the defense is grossly undersized. I know Shafer loves his fast, attacking d, but it doest due much good when teams just run power at you over and over (recurring nightmare from uconn game last year). Talk of the okie package on here always cracks me up because to me, the team is in a base nickel or dime anyway (Davis and Diabate are glorified safeties).

On offense, i just think it is too far from a finished product to even comment. I agree with Tomcat that the top four wideouts will be Lemon, Sales, Kobenah and West. Dont know enough about the oline from a talent/injury standpoint to really comment. Can't imagine a healthy pugh gets surplanted though.

Here is my novel suggestion to coach Marrone - Move Broyld to Mike, give him a redshirt year, and you have a four year starter with the actual size, speed and strength to make an impact at the position.

Seeing Lemon at #2 made me realize how completely useless a depth chart is at this point, at least for SU. Maybe it's not like that at other places. Better off not creating one.

Marrone's reaction to the questions about Spruill pretty much confirmed for me that they should stop putting them out there altogether. Someone (Nolan?) asked about Spruill being listed at OLB instead of MLB. Marrone rambled on about injuries and those being injured needing to win their jobs back and spots on the depth chart don't mean much right now. Rahme followed up and said so is Spruill starting out at OLB? Marrone said yes, and looked utterly annoyed, just looked away from Rahme. It was almost as if he wanted them to stop harping on it because opponents would more easily notice the change.

Marrone's attitude with the media is night and day from when he took the job. Which is fine, he just needs to win games. And there are plenty of coaches do not act as if they take an ounce of enjoyment in the media portion of the job. But for him, it's just so different from that first spring and preseason camp, you can hardly recognize him.

Just to be clear, nobody has lost their starting job--this was just the preliminary depth chart heading INTO preseason camp.

Yeah, I know but it's still just strange to me. Like if you had marvin harrison and tim lane playing the same position on the same team and Harrison gets injured in the spring or whenever, what sense is there moving Lane to No. 1 on the depth chart? I mean, it just doesn't make that much sense to me unless there was a really tight competition and the second guy takes advantage of the situation and plays himself into the starting role.

I agree, it doesn't matter that much but it's just one of those things. I feel like it's this tough guy thing like, "make sure you tell us if you're injured. Of course, if you're too injured you're going to lose your job, so keep that in mind."

Our DE's are really, really short. Also I don't get doubling Trudo and Foy at the same position, why move Trudo from center?
Because neither one is going to unseat Macky and we need a starting guard?

Seeing Lemon at #2 made me realize how completely useless a depth chart is at this point, at least for SU. Maybe it's not like that at other places. Better off not creating one.

Marrone's reaction to the questions about Spruill pretty much confirmed for me that they should stop putting them out there altogether. Someone (Nolan?) asked about Spruill being listed at OLB instead of MLB. Marrone rambled on about injuries and those being injured needing to win their jobs back and spots on the depth chart don't mean much right now. Rahme followed up and said so is Spruill starting out at OLB? Marrone said yes, and looked utterly annoyed, just looked away from Rahme. It was almost as if he wanted them to stop harping on it because opponents would more easily notice the change.

Marrone's attitude with the media is night and day from when he took the job. Which is fine, he just needs to win games. And there are plenty of coaches do not act as if they take an ounce of enjoyment in the media portion of the job. But for him, it's just so different from that first spring and preseason camp, you can hardly recognize him.

Yeah, it's hard to comment on b/c people seem to think it means you're calling him a bad coach or insulting him personally, but it's definitely become a terse, dismissive approach to media relations. Whether or not it matters could be argued both ways. Obviously winning, in the end, is basically all that matters. I personally think the media is A) part of the job and B) a useful tool to generate interest in and publicity for the team.

But regardless, the one thing I don't understand is the general football rule that you don't want anyone knowing anything you're doing. DM appears very concerned that people know where Spruill is playing, yet I can't imagine that really changes people's game plans. And they're going to find out somehow anyway. I honestly think, at the end of the day, that NW could not possibly care less about who's starting in the middle.

I understand but there is a difference.

Personally, I prefer HCDM's approach where (in theory) every position is up for grabs each week. Merit does matter.
I never agreed with P's philosophy...but was simply stating the contrast.

Yeah, I know but it's still just strange to me. Like if you had marvin harrison and tim lane playing the same position on the same team and Harrison gets injured in the spring or whenever, what sense is there moving Lane to No. 1 on the depth chart? I mean, it just doesn't make that much sense to me unless there was a really tight competition and the second guy takes advantage of the situation and plays himself into the starting role.

I agree, it doesn't matter that much but it's just one of those things. I feel like it's this tough guy thing like, "make sure you tell us if you're injured. Of course, if you're too injured you're going to lose your job, so keep that in mind."

If Marvin Harrison tore a knee ligament during the Spring, who would take "1st team" reps until Harrison is healthy again?

When Harrison makes it through a practice without his leg falling off, he gets his job back. It could be October, it could be September, it could even be August 10.

Until that moment ... Lane is WR1.

If Marvin Harrison tore a knee ligament during the Spring, who would take "1st team" reps until Harrison is healthy again?

When Harrison makes it through a practice without his leg falling off, he gets his job back. It could be October, it could be September, it could even be August 10.

Until that moment ... Lane is WR1.

That's fine if you remove Harrison, but why would he even be fourth string if his leg was about to fall off? I don't know. It's fine, it just always strikes me as a subtle way of saying, "don't get injured and if you do come back as fast as humanly possible." With what we know of concussions, etc., I'm not sure that's always the best message.

Ultimately I realize this is just a pet peeve of mine with regard to football mentality.

That's my expectation too. Passes out into the flat, and the threat of him throwing or running with the ball from the RB spot. More opportunity for diversity and deception at RB than at WR for Broyld at this point.

AB's got Wildcat written all over him ... if he can handle the check downs.

And last but not least, you can count me in as a Riley Dixon fan. He might not be the most consistent of the bunch, but the kid is a boomer and I hope he gets another look from the staff this year.

I hope those weights are out of date. I don't want another year of 215 pound linebackewrs again. I was hoping they'd come back at 225. Also, this is the first time I've seen Morris listed at 174. I thought he was close to 200 pounds.

I agree it's strange to see Funderburke listed there. To pick at an old sore, if he could play with us now, wouldn't that "upset the chemistry", (a term Brent Axe used today to explain why Marrone didn't want Curtis Dukes), amond the receiver corps the way Dukes would, (supposed) among the running backs?

Why not use Broyld as a tight end? He's got good size and would be a a tough, athletic receiver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom