Thoughts on the Maryland Debacle and the rest of the year | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on the Maryland Debacle and the rest of the year

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
First off what a putrid performance by Syracuse all around, dissapointed in not only the players but the staff as well, some of the decisions by Desko were dumbfounding. Second props to Maryland that team is loaded. I thought they were pretty good based on what I knew coming into the game but there better then I thought. Experienced D with Seniors at the X and in Goal and a very talented young O with some experienced guys Chanenchuk/Carlson. To bad we missed out on Cannizaro kid looks like a player but you cant get everybody. I know we have a couple of Maryland guys who occassionaly post here so maybe they can tell me where I am going wrong but if that team doesnt reach Memorial day weekend they should demand an investigation because that team has all the makings of a championship team. Only issue I can see for them is if they get hit by the injury bug (especially on D) or they run into someone who can neutralize them at the X.

The issues at the X have been well documented here by myself and most of the posters who frequent here so I am not going to get into a huge monologue about it. I will say this, the Daddio era should be over from this point forward. Nothing against the kid as its clear he cares and has worked his tail off but he just doesnt have it against top end faceoff guys. Raffa abused him in the second quarter to the point that it seemed like he was just picking up the ball when the whistle blew and running toward the cage. The more concerning aspect for me is that Desko kept running him out there like they were playing a summer scrimmage against a local team for fun. The fact he violated 5 times including what must have been 3 in a row and Desko kept putting him out there is mindboggling. I am a big John Desko fan but I thought he was downright awful on Saturday, completely outcoached. When he finally takes him out he has Iacono take about 3 draws where he actually wins one (then takes a terrible shot) but then promptly goes back to Daddio (what?). Someone thought Iacono may have been hurt, I certainly hope that was the case because I have no idea why he wouldnt have been taking at least every other draw especially in the second half.

To keep on the X I thought Wentworth looked OK. Certainly didnt match Raffa but at least held his own and won some draws. Not sure how hard Raffa was really working at that point though with the game pretty much in hand despite the amount of time left. Was beyond pissed we didnt see Demarco, he isn't redshirting so why the hell wasnt he given a shot? Wish Desko had a show like JB and Schafer where you can call in with questions because I would love to get an answer on that. I am concerned Paduda maybe hurt worse then was originally reported. Was supposed to be out a few weeks and now were on a month plus, I wonder if he is headed toward a redshirt. Extremely dissapointing as it seemed like he had made a huge leap over the summer and really put in work to learn the craft of facing off. I really hope we see Demarco this weekend. I think Buhr left the team again so I dont anticipate seeing him.

As bad as the X was the D was just as bad if not worse. Raffa scored twice on quick faceoff wins when no one slided over to stop him including one where I dont think he was touched. Mullins, Harris and McCartney couldn't scoop a groundball if there lives depended on it, I cant tell you how many times they overran ground balls or failed to scoop up a ball all alone, it was amateur hour out there. The short stick D guys looked like they had never played D before. Grimm and Messina were dominated by the Maryland mid field including Cannizarro. It's clear that this team desperately missed Pratt and Ianzito and probably misses Megill even more if thats possible. Harris needs to step up and assert some leadership. I think Taits days are probably numbered as well, seems overmatched out there. I suspect Palasek, Firman and others will play Saturday. Not sure what changes can be made at short stick D as the two backups Jenkins and Rockett are so overmatched size wise I dont think they can be anything more then a spot player. With all of the offensive talent thats stuck way down the depth chart might be time to see who wants to get on the field playing close D.

Was good to see Galasso get out there, would have liked to see him play more then just man up but its understandable why they have to ease him back in. Thought the offense was mediorcore Saturday, hard to blame them when they dont have the ball but I thought they panicked after the second quarter debacle and stopped being patient and started shooting from outside instead of working for a great shot like they had in the 1st quarter. That played right into Amato's hand and those outside shots were easy saves for him. I thought we looked for better shots in the 4th but he was in a groove by then and stopping pretty much everything. I thought Lecky had Staats tried to provide a spart but besides them there wasnt much to be happy about. Schoonmaker had a hat trick but he continues to take some ill advised shots and his doorstep miss in the 2nd quarter that should have put SU up 3 in the second quarter opened the flood gates. Marylands D did a nice job on Rice and Donahue as they were completely MIA. Evans is still struggling to adjust but was at least active out there, thought Billy Ward and Loy really really struggled.

Saturday is going to tell me a lot about this team. Will be interesting to see what Desko does and what changes he makes. I thought he was completely outcoached on Saturday, he looked shell shocked and had no answers for Maryland. Unfortunately for him things dont get easier the next few weeks as ridiculousness of this schedule is becoming more and more evident. Not sure whether we can expect wholesale Changes Saturday but I know this. This team better come out pissed and put it on UVA because if they dont this thing could snowball and we could be in big trouble real quick especially with games to go against Duke, UNC, ND etc. Not going to get into the coaching issues but with it being 6 years since Brennan and the grumblings growing louder somethings got to give, a staffing change maybe needed or demanded by Gross at the end of the year.

Demarco isn't redshirting? He hasn't played yet.

How about moving Lecky to D-Middie?

Interesting thoughts all the way around. Unless he gets that rule changed, the X may be Desko's downfall.

Demarco isn't redshirting? He hasn't played yet.

How about moving Lecky to D-Middie?

Demarco played in the Fall and winters scrimmages based on that he can't redshirt per some NCAA rule. I recommended moving Lecky last year but I think there was some concern that D isnt his strong suit. At this point I think it would be a great idea to try.

Interesting thoughts all the way around. Unless he gets that rule changed, the X may be Desko's downfall.

There isnt going to be any change in the X rule so I really hope he isnt banking on that coming through. The real problem is he and the staff didnt start valuing the position until this offseason. Hard to fix an issue like that in just one season. There a reason we are bringing in something like 7 new guys at the X in the next 3 years including three this year and two more next year.

Demarco played in the Fall and winters scrimmages based on that he can't redshirt per some NCAA rule. I recommended moving Lecky last year but I think there was some concern that D isnt his strong suit. At this point I think it would be a great idea to try.

At least he can clear. :rolleyes:

At least he can clear. :rolleyes:

LOL so true, I also thought he looked pretty good Saturday, he tried to force the issue and got a goal and a penalty out of it. I wonder if he can play sort of a split position. Maybe take some run at D middie but also get the occassional mid line run.

Paul Carcaterra ‏@paulcarcaterra 1m
U may be 4 or against face offs, but as long as the rules are the rules...U can't win without the ball, start or stop runs. Not good 4 Cuse!

Paul Carcaterra ‏@paulcarcaterra 1m
U may be 4 or against face offs, but as long as the rules are the rules...U can't win without the ball, start or stop runs. Not good 4 Cuse!

Hes being captain obvious there but the point is 100% correct. Desko better get something going and quick.

To me Daddio was having major issues with the cadence. After getting whistled for procedure a couple times, he lost all his confidence and his timing. Raffa seems to be similar to Fowler - big, jacked, athletic guys who could probably put Daddio in their pocket. Iacono could at least match up physically with Raffa but who knows if he has the timing or technique to have made a difference. The penalities on FO procedure calls which resulted in goals and the 2 fast break goals by Raffa untouched off the FO were killers.

To me Daddio was having major issues with the cadence. After getting whistled for procedure a couple times, he lost all his confidence and his timing. Raffa seems to be similar to Fowler - big, jacked, athletic guys who could probably put Daddio in their pocket. Iacono could at least match up physically with Raffa but who knows if he has the timing or technique to have made a difference. The penalities on FO procedure calls which resulted in goals and the 2 fast break goals by Raffa untouched off the FO were killers.

Good post and I think your spot on. Right now Iacono is really the only guy we have size wise who can match up with the Raffas an Fowlers of the world. That being said Iacono doesnt have the speed of those guys. We dont have a guy that has both the size and athleticisim to match up. I cant recall Demarco's height but I dont think hes a real big guy, Paduda is built decently he may fair better.

Last edited:
I am not writing off Daddio yet. He has obviously improved and likely isn't as good as he was against Albany (from what I understand they were terrible at the X against Drexel) or Siena but also not as bad as he was against Maryland. If I remember correctly he won a couple before the procedure calls but once he lost his timing and confidence he should have sat the rest of the game (can't recover from that).

What are folks' opinion of keeping Staats at attack the whole game? I struggle with this but I think he creates more matchup problems at middie. He is unguardable with a ssdm. I was also really hoping to see Galasso play more.

I am not writing off Daddio yet. He has obviously improved and likely isn't as good as he was against Albany (from what I understand they were terrible at the X against Drexel) or Siena but also not as bad as he was against Maryland.

FWIW, Drexel ate us alive at the X, too. Their guy was getting a bunch of clean wins and starting the break.

FWIW, Drexel ate us alive at the X, too. Their guy was getting a bunch of clean wins and starting the break.

Odd you guys are struggling at the X to, UVA always seemed to have a good guy at the X. Saturday's game will be very interesting, gotta think were headed toward a classic UVA/SU game that could go either way.. I would have given SU a decent edge but after that D performance Saturday that is out the window.

Odd you guys are struggling at the X to, UVA always seemed to have a good guy at the X. Saturday's game will be very interesting, gotta think were headed toward a classic UVA/SU game that could go either way.. I would have given SU a decent edge but after that D performance Saturday that is out the window.
Against Rutgahs, we were struggling against Nardella at X, then he got laid out with a possible broken nose, and then we cleaned up against his replacements. We have a transfer from Hamilton, Menniger, who uses a long stick and he won several and even scored off a clean win and break 8 seconds after RU scored.

I think you're spot on that this will have an old-time UVa-SU score. With our problems on D (per observers, too much standing around instead of sliding) and freshman goalie, it's very unlikely this one will end 3-2.

UNC can be tough on FOs too. While RG Keenan was a little off last season, he can be very good. UNC also added the dominant FO man from the MIAA in Stephan Kelly.

UNC can be tough on FOs too. While RG Keenan was a little off last season, he can be very good. UNC also added the dominant FO man from the MIAA in Stephan Kelly.

Id be pretty surprised if Maryland didnt make a deep run in the ACC, things seem to really set up for them especially with there defense as I believe Amato and a few other D guys are seniors. Not saying you guys couldnt win next year or the year after with that loaded offense but it seems your best mix of O and D might be with your current team.

I don't like our chances this weekend. Parks owned us last year (won 16/21) and facing us is likely to cure his slump. BTW how did we allow Nardella (from Cazenovia!) get away to Rutgers?? He is an elite face-off guy. Poppleton (Hopkins) is another example.

Against Rutgahs, we were struggling against Nardella at X, then he got laid out with a possible broken nose, and then we cleaned up against his replacements. We have a transfer from Hamilton, Menniger, who uses a long stick and he won several and even scored off a clean win and break 8 seconds after RU scored.

I think you're spot on that this will have an old-time UVa-SU score. With our problems on D (per observers, too much standing around instead of sliding) and freshman goalie, it's very unlikely this one will end 3-2.

Surprised you guys hung 19 on Rutty but after you noted you guys knocked out Nardella that score makes sense. Tough to get a read on Saturdays game, Syracuse is a mess defensively and at the X but its hard to get a great read on UVA despite being 4-0 due to the level of competition. Looking through Orange colored glasses I give Syracuse a slight edge in the game due to the potential of our offense and the fact that I dont think the D could possibly play worse. If UVA dominates at the X though forget about it, we could be in for another long game. Not sure what to make of UVA's offense, Crockerton is a beast but I dont know much about the Other guys besides that one other Attackmen. How are you guys defensively?

I don't like our chances this weekend. Parks owned us last year (won 16/21) and facing us is likely to cure his slump. BTW how did we allow Nardella (from Cazenovia!) get away to Rutgers?? He is an elite face-off guy. Poppleton (Hopkins) is another example.

I dont think we recruited Nardella to be honest, he was a senior during the Daddio/Buhr era and we only brought in one guy at the X in two years. Hard to get on the staff about Nardella outside of Rutty I dont think anyone was really after him.

I dont think we recruited Nardella to be honest, he was a senior during the Daddio/Buhr era and we only brought in one guy at the X in two years. Hard to get on the staff about Nardella outside of Rutty I dont think anyone was really after him.

Still these coaches have been very slow to recognize that the Daddio/Buhr combo was not working out.

Still these coaches have been very slow to recognize that the Daddio/Buhr combo was not working out.

Oh trust me I agree, biggest mistake Desko and the staff made was not brininging in people especially after Buhr and Daddio struggled as Frosh. Saturday will be interesting, hope this team shows up, going 0-2 to start ACC play would be a disaster.

Surprised you guys hung 19 on Rutty but after you noted you guys knocked out Nardella that score makes sense. Tough to get a read on Saturdays game, Syracuse is a mess defensively and at the X but its hard to get a great read on UVA despite being 4-0 due to the level of competition. Looking through Orange colored glasses I give Syracuse a slight edge in the game due to the potential of our offense and the fact that I dont think the D could possibly play worse. If UVA dominates at the X though forget about it, we could be in for another long game. Not sure what to make of UVA's offense, Crockerton is a beast but I dont know much about the Other guys besides that one other Attackmen. How are you guys defensively?
We should be better than we're playing considering who's returned. The poles and SSDMs are experienced, but for some reason haven't put together a complete game. The goalie's a freshman, soo ... On offense, the attack is looking good with Cockerton, Pannell, and Van Arsdale. Some observers on TheSabre say it's like someone flipped a switch with Van A. and suddenly he finally gets it. The first midfield is "a UVa first midfield" with R. Emery and Tucker. Zed Williams is on the 2nd line and still hasn't gotten off the schnide this year.

We should be better than we're playing considering who's returned. The poles and SSDMs are experienced, but for some reason haven't put together a complete game. The goalie's a freshman, soo ... On offense, the attack is looking good with Cockerton, Pannell, and Van Arsdale. Some observers on TheSabre say it's like someone flipped a switch with Van A. and suddenly he finally gets it. The first midfield is "a UVa first midfield" with R. Emery and Tucker. Zed Williams is on the 2nd line and still hasn't gotten off the schnide this year.

Your midfield could give us a lot of trouble, Emery and Tucker will be hard for us to cover as our short stick D mids are really struggling. I think Mullins will probably draw Cockerton, not sure if Young will get Pannell or Van Arsdale. Syracuse may look to run some different guys at close D/LSM, Palasek and Firman could play a role. Will be nice not to have to face O'Reilly. Whichever D can slow down the O a little more will probably get the win, I expect you guys will see a lot of Galasso ( im sure your thrilled).

Id be pretty surprised if Maryland didnt make a deep run in the ACC, things seem to really set up for them especially with there defense as I believe Amato and a few other D guys are seniors. Not saying you guys couldnt win next year or the year after with that loaded offense but it seems your best mix of O and D might be with your current team.

I would be happy with 3-2, and avoiding the play-in game.
The ACC teams are all so loaded with talent, that if the other team has their day and you don't, you're going to lose.

Ehrhardt is a senior and the ssdm Cooper is a senior. Ikeda red-shirted a year due to injury and is a rs-jr. Murray is a junior. Dunn is only a sophomore.
Bernlohr has looked good backing up Amato in goal, but he is a junior and will only be there the year after Amato.

----
Probably, a key thing with Van Arsdale is becoming an upperclassman. He is perhaps also in the right role. That being said, one of the knocks on Van Arsdale has been disappearing against top teams, so seeing if he gets it done Saturday will be key. Of course, UVa is starting on a murderer's row of weekend games: Syracuse, Cornell, Notre Dame, JHU, UMd, UNC, and Duke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom