Three road games, how do we do? | Syracusefan.com

Three road games, how do we do?

DonLightfoot

All Conference
I would obviously love to see us go 3-0, but I feel 2-1 would be more realistic. Even 1-2 would get us to 6-3 with two very winnable home games after the road trip. Five of the last seven games are really tough so we have to make hay while the sun shines.

you can win by shooting well, but if you play good D and rebound you can make up for shooting.. the games we lose we tend to do all 3 poorly at the same time. a couple games the D was solid but the other 2 failed to show up..

lets hope we see at least two tomorrow.

Tech looks really athletic but there is a reason they were blown out by top teams like UNC and UVA. I like our chances there. If we bring our outside shooting game then it will be competitive. They will be much more aggressive and assertive in the paint. Maybe that goes without saying.

BC looks to be struggling. Pitt we know already but winning at Pitt is historically tough. Maybe post-Dixon era is different

I think 2-1 would be a good result. In all candidness, yes, we beat Duke at Duke but it took Duke shooting horrendously from the 3 and an injury from their best defender. I am not discounting the win as it was huge for SU in many ways but if you look at the other ACC wins, we haven't exactly played the cream of the crop in the ACC. I'm really looking forward to seeing how we fare tomorrow night against VT as that should give us a clearer picture of where we are. We win that and I am a believer.

You’re the “I’m sorry but it’s time” guy right?

Don’t wanna be passive agressive. 3-0 sounds pretty good. What changed?

I’m a Syracuse fan, first and foremost. The frustration of the last 4+ seasons is enough to cause even the biggest fans to take a deeper look at the program, no?

I said in my post they could turn it around and I hoped they did. It is looking like there’s a good chance they have. To Boeheim’s credit, he started playing Dolezaj a lot more. And Howard, while still not close to perfect, is much more consistent than Carey. Chukwu’s renaissance has come out of nowhere almost but that is a contributing factor too. Just hope it’s all sustainable.

I never once said that I wasn’t a Boeheim fan and didn’t appreciate what he’s done. Just said it was time based on the way the team was playing - in case you have forgotten, the team lost to Old Dominion. That’s not good.

I’m a Syracuse fan, first and foremost. The frustration of the last 4+ seasons is enough to cause even the biggest fans to take a deeper look at the program, no?

I said in my post they could turn it around and I hoped they did. It is looking like there’s a good chance they have. To Boeheim’s credit, he started playing Dolezaj a lot more. And Howard, while still not close to perfect, is much more consistent than Carey. Chukwu’s renaissance has come out of nowhere almost but that is a contributing factor too. Just hope it’s all sustainable.

I never once said that I wasn’t a Boeheim fan and didn’t appreciate what he’s done. Just said it was time based on the way the team was playing - in case you have forgotten, the team lost to Old Dominion. That’s not good.
If you looked deeper, you would see the sanctions. They were put there to hurt the prohram, and they did. Old Dom is a very good team full of athletes from the DMV and coached by a very experienced coach who played at UVA and led 2 different teams to the NCAA tourney 7 times.

IThe frustration of the last 4+ seasons is enough to cause even the biggest fans to take a deeper look at the program, no?

I see it the other way. I was thrilled with the Final Four run and Sweet 16 run last year. While the regular seasons haven’t been great, I understand Boeheim is still a great coach, and we hit a rough patch for obvious reasons.

"The frustration of the last 4+ seasons is enough to cause even the biggest fans to take a deeper look at the program, no?"

Not really. Before you start rooting around for systemic weaknesses in the SU program and assigning blame, you might want to take a deeper look at the impact of sanctions, the early departure of players, the strength of the ACC competition, the increased exposure of other programs and their competing for recruits
"I never once said that I wasn’t a Boeheim fan and didn’t appreciate what he’s done."

Yeah, sure. But what you didn't say is that you have faith in his intelligence and commitment to winning and his ability to make the best out of the players he has.

Losing to quality mid-majors is not a hanging offense, that I'm aware of. It happens, especially when you are trying to figure out what works in preparation for the real season in the ACC and, hopefully, the NCAA Tourney.

"The frustration of the last 4+ seasons is enough to cause even the biggest fans to take a deeper look at the program, no?"

Not really. Before you start rooting around for systemic weaknesses in the SU program and assigning blame, you might want to take a deeper look at the impact of sanctions, the early departure of players, the strength of the ACC competition, the increased exposure of other programs and their competing for recruits
"I never once said that I wasn’t a Boeheim fan and didn’t appreciate what he’s done."

Yeah, sure. But what you didn't say is that you have faith in his intelligence and commitment to winning and his ability to make the best out of the players he has.

Losing to quality mid-majors is not a hanging offense, that I'm aware of. It happens, especially when you are trying to figure out what works in preparation for the real season in the ACC and, hopefully, the NCAA Tourney.

I don’t want to start a holy war because we are all rooting for the same thing. We look at things through our own prisms and see what we see. I understand sanctions and the change in conferences and the early departure of players. Maybe I didn’t weigh that as heavily in my opinion as you did. I’m not going to apologize for it, it’s my opinion.

No, one loss to a mid-major isn’t grounds for a firing but 4 straight years of the same thing isn’t something to completely ignore, either.

The one piece I bolded is something I disagree with, given the time of my original post. He had not gotten the best out of the team to that point, IMO. He basically relegated Dolezaj to an 8th man in his system and the team was suffering. Look at the number of minutes he played in our losses.

I’m glad he made the adjustment to play him more, I’m glad Frank is back and I’m glad Chukwu is playing like he’s 7-2. But the biggest reason for my frustration and calling for change was the fact the team has not been playing up to its potential. It hasn’t gotten better at the rate it had in the past from year to year, and it just felt stagnant. Things can change on a dime in sports and I’m hopeful the GT/Duke sequence is that for this team and the program moving forward.

I see it the other way. I was thrilled with the Final Four run and Sweet 16 run last year. While the regular seasons haven’t been great, I understand Boeheim is still a great coach, and we hit a rough patch for obvious reasons.

Final Four and Sweet 16 were great, but I’d rather have a team Dino strives to have. Consistently good, not occasionally great. I’d rather be a 1-5 seed in the tournament and not sweat out Selection Sunday year after year.

Last edited:
Final Four and Sweet 16 were great, but I’d rather have a team Dino strives to have. Consistently good, not occasionally great. I’d rather be a 1-5 seed in the tournament and not sweat our Selection Sunday year after year.

So would I, but we lost 13 scholarships. We were recruiting well and playing well up until that point. FF in 2012 and the team before that made the Elite 8. We were sending kids to the NBA. JB didn’t forget how to coach. His system works. He just didn’t have a lot to work with.

I don’t want to start a holy war because we are all rooting for the same thing. We look at things through our own prisms and see what we see. I understand sanctions and the change in conferences and the early departure of players. Maybe I didn’t weigh that as heavily in my opinion as you did. I’m not going to apologize for it, it’s my opinion.

No, one loss to a mid-major isn’t grounds for a firing but 4 straight years of the same thing isn’t something to completely ignore, either.

The one piece I bolded is something I disagree with, given the time of my original post. He had not gotten the best out of the team to that point, IMO. He basically relegated Dolezaj to an 8th man in his system and the team was suffering. Look at the number of minutes he played in our losses.

I’m glad he made the adjustment to play him more, I’m glad Frank is back and I’m glad Chukwu is playing like he’s 7-2. But the biggest reason for my frustration and calling for change was the fact the team has not been playing up to its potential. It hasn’t gotten better at the rate it had in the past from year to year, and it just felt stagnant. Things can change on a dime in sports and I’m hopeful the GT/Duke sequence is that for this team and the program moving forward.

Well, we disagree on a lot, including the team for the last four years hasn't been playing up to its potential. I'd say that for significant periods these teams have played beyond what would normally be expected.

But whatever.

It seems to me that calling for JB's head on a pike, requires subscribing to the fantasy that SU will be able to replace him with someone better that will be able to keep the program at its current level and improve it back to one of the best periods.

I've pointed out that Georgetown couldn't get its preferred list of "hot" coaches to even apply for the job to the shock of the supporters.

This really is a case where "Be careful what you wish for because you are likely to get it" seems appropriate.

Well, we disagree on a lot, including the team for the last four years hasn't been playing up to its potential. I'd say that for significant periods these teams have played beyond what would normally be expected.

But whatever.

It seems to me that calling for JB's head on a pike, requires subscribing to the fantasy that SU will be able to replace him with someone better that will be able to keep the program at its current level and improve it back to one of the best periods.

I've pointed out that Georgetown couldn't get its preferred list of "hot" coaches to even apply for the job to the shock of the supporters.

This really is a case where "Be careful what you wish for because you are likely to get it" seems appropriate.

You are really something. I never had Boeheim’s head on a pike. Talk about creating a false narrative. I called for something to change on the coaching staff, whether assistant or head coach. You also overvalue the conference toughness as the Big East was just as tough. Outside of UNC & Duke, what other program gets the press Syracuse does? Florida State, who has been consistently above us? Clemson? No and no. Not on the basketball side, not even close.

Georgetown and Syracuse are apples and oranges. Yes, they were rivals but the two schools and fanbases are a lot different. Syracuse basketball was built by Jim Boeheim, yes. And could there be a drop off when he leaves? Absolutely. But it also has a ton of support - RE: 21,000 on an off night - and is in a premier conference, unlike your example.

So would I, but we lost 13 scholarships. We were recruiting well and playing well up until that point. FF in 2012 and the team before that made the Elite 8. We were sending kids to the NBA. JB didn’t forget how to coach. His system works. He just didn’t have a lot to work with.

I don’t disagree. Scholarship sanctions were a piece but not the entirety. We missed on kids, others didn’t/haven’t developed and others left unexpectedly. Every case is a separate one and can be viewed as an independent instance but when there’s a trend of these sorts of things, shouldn’t we take a look at how things are done?

I don’t disagree. Scholarship sanctions were a piece but not the entirety. We missed on kids, others didn’t/haven’t developed and others left unexpectedly. Every case is a separate one and can be viewed as an independent instance but when there’s a trend of these sorts of things, shouldn’t we take a look at how things are done?
Just stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom