Three road games, how do we do? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Three road games, how do we do?

What would you like to take a look at? Ennis, Grant, Malachi, Lydon and McCullough all going pro? Who didn’t develop? Gbinije? Nope. Tyler Roberson? Maybe that was his own fault. Bad luck? Like DeJaun Coleman getting hurt? Moustapha Diagne not qualifying? Every program misses on kids. Do you see those transfers developing elsewhere? Kaleb Jospeh, Taurean Thompson? Matt Moyer?

But let’s fire a HOF coach after 4 games. Especially after a Sweet 16 run. Makes sense.

We can disagree on a lot of things -- the direction of the program and why it's been the way it has the past 4+ years, but let's get one thing straight. I never said to fire Boeheim. I said something needs to change. People love to change narratives around here to fit their own.

You undervalue Syracuse’s brand as a basketball program. That is a fact.

Michigan doesn’t have great weather yet it has done just fine. Kansas is in the middle of nowhere. Duke was not what it is now before K - do you think they will drop to mid-major level when he is done?

You are over-valuing it.

Big crowds can evaporate (SU football?)

Who said anything about any big time program dropping to mid-major status?

Michigan has similar weather but its a huge State school (2X the size of SU) l surrounded by hundreds of thousands of alumni who identify with UM very strongly. SU's alumni base is concentrated in Metro areas which explains why we draw so well in NYC and DC. SU home attendance depends largely on the local fans who certainly aren't all SU alums (if this board is representative). That support depends largely on continued success. I can't see a people wanting to sit in the upper reaches of the Dome to see SU lose most of its games.

Georgetown used to fill the USAir arena and is in a huge city.

I don't know anything about Kansas except that it really is in the middle of no where and it's very cold in winter.

In my mind, SU is more similar to BC than it is Kansas, (Northeastern, medium-sized, private)

Last edited:
You are over-valuing it.

Michigan has similar weather but its a huge State school surrounded by hundreds of thousands of alumni who identify with UM very strongly. SU's alumni base is concentrated in Metro areas which explains why we draw so well in NYC and DC. SU home attendance depends largely on the local fans who certainly aren't all SU alums (if this board is representative). That support depends largely on continued success. I can't see a people wanting to sit in the upper reaches of the Dome to see SU lose most of its games.

I don't know anything about Kansas except that it really is in the middle of no where and it's very cold in winter.

In my mind, SU is more similar to BC than it is Kansas, (Northeastern, medium-sized, private)

SU football attendance was never on par with SU basketball attendance, accounting for the obvious differences in the sport/schedule.

SU b-ball attendance would be on par with the big football factories like Michigan, Tennessee, etc. that put a ridiculous number of people in the stands year after year regardless.

Syracuse has always been and always will be a basketball town first. It’s the top sport and NYS and we had an NBA team at one time. Sometimes I wonder when the last time townie has actually ever stepped foot outside of the DC metro area.

SU football attendance was never on par with SU basketball attendance, accounting for the obvious differences in the sport/schedule.

SU b-ball attendance would be on par with the big football factories like Michigan, Tennessee, etc. that put a ridiculous number of people in the stands year after year regardless.

Interesting, but no the comparison that I was trying to make.

The comparison is betwen the Hey-Day of the 1990's and the periods since then. Stop the winning and shrink the attendance is the message.

You are over-valuing it.

Michigan has similar weather but its a huge State school surrounded by hundreds of thousands of alumni who identify with UM very strongly. SU's alumni base is concentrated in Metro areas which explains why we draw so well in NYC and DC. SU home attendance depends largely on the local fans who certainly aren't all SU alums (if this board is representative). That support depends largely on continued success. I can't see a people wanting to sit in the upper reaches of the Dome to see SU lose most of its games.

So you have gone from Syracuse being one of the Top 10-15 schools in the country (aggregate) over the last 3 decades to it "losing most of its games". That's a logical jump.

Syracuse basketball has been the identity of the city for a long, long time. Football has come and gone, but basketball defines it. Attendance has been top 2 in the COUNTRY since 1980. The school is in a powerhouse conference, has a state-of-the-art practice facility, a recruiting budget that I'm sure is on par with all other schools... the list goes on. Yet you have them "losing most of its games" after Boeheim. Right.

The hire will be key, and if it isn't right the AD/Chancellor can't be afraid to make a quick hook to get the right person in. But make no mistake -- the pool of candidates that want the job will not be populated by 100% "mid major" coaches.

We can disagree on a lot of things -- the direction of the program and why it's been the way it has the past 4+ years, but let's get one thing straight. I never said to fire Boeheim. I said something needs to change. People love to change narratives around here to fit their own.

To posters like Alpharetta, there is undying support, or fire Boeheim. There is no spectrum, no shades of grey.

“It’s time”. 4 games in. What changes were you suggesting?

Interesting, but no the comparison that I was trying to make.

The comparison is betwen the Hey-Day of the 1990's and the periods since then. Stop the winning and shrink the attendance is the message.

And my point is, there’s certain football schools whose brand is so strong that the attendance stays strong regardless of how good the team is. The Syracuse football brand has never reached that level.

I think the Syracuse basketball brand reached it a long time ago. It’s too ingrained at this point.

“It’s time”. 4 games in. What changes were you suggesting?

A) It wasn't 4 games in. Fake news. Again. B) It wasn't predicated on just this year. C) There are any number of things you can change without firing the head coach.

To posters like Alpharetta, there is undying support, or fire Boeheim. There is no spectrum, no shades of grey.

Nah, it’s just called perspective. Boeheim is a great coach. We’ll be fine.

Syracuse has always been and always will be a basketball town first. It’s the top sport and NYS and we had an NBA team at one time. Sometimes I wonder when the last time townie has actually ever stepped foot outside of the DC metro area.

I actually spend a majority of the year outside the DC area. (out of the US, primarily)

Clearly, 0307 doesn't know much about the pre-Boeheim, pre-Big East era at SU when we were only a football school. And this was during the era the Nats played in Syracuse (or right after)

SU basketball, to me is actually an improbable, near-miracle and its success rests on four pillars; Boeheim. ESPN, the sudden rise of the Big East and the unplanned move to the Carrier Dome.

I actually spend a majority of the year outside the DC area. (out of the US, primarily)

Clearly, 0307 doesn't know much about the pre-Boeheim, pre-Big East era at SU when we were only a football school. And this was during the era the Nats played in Syracuse (or right after)

SU basketball, to me is actually an improbable, near-miracle and its success rests on four pillars; Boeheim. ESPN, the sudden rise of the Big East and the unplanned move to the Carrier Dome.

You do know college basketball was virtually nothing before ESPN as well. You’re going back to an era that was completely dominated by UCLA and UCLA only.

If what you say is so true why does the PAC 12 suck so bad when all their schools are in locations where everyone wants to live?

A) It wasn't 4 games in. Fake news. Again. B) It wasn't predicated on just this year. C) There are any number of things you can change without firing the head coach.

Well, you were wrong. Still.

You do know college basketball was virtually nothing before ESPN as well. You’re going back to an era that was completely dominated by UCLA and UCLA only.

If what you say is so true why does the PAC 12 suck so bad when all their schools are in locations where everyone wants to live?

I'm speechless on point #1.

Please look at this NCAA Championship Winners | A Complete Championship History

I'm not sure why the West Coast teams, with some exceptions, are not powerhouses and yet teams from the upper Southeast are?

Take SU out of the NY, NE, NJ, PA area and what do you have left? Villanova?

2-1. My guess is we smoke VT and win easily but the bad team from OOC play shows up in Chestnut Hill because I will be at the game.
I predict bad Cuse waits to show up til the Pitt game at the Pete. 2-1 in the next 3, with a huge win against VT tonight.

I'm speechless on point #1.

Please look at this NCAA Championship Winners | A Complete Championship History

I'm not sure why the West Coast teams, with some exceptions, are not powerhouses and yet teams from the upper Southeast are?

Take SU out of the NY, NE, NJ, PA area and what do you have left? Villanova?

What are you talking about? Was it on TV nearly as much or ingrained in pop culture?

I see a lot of Ohio State, Cinncinati and Michigan State in there.

Michigan State was good before Izzo with Heathcote. We can be good after Boeheim.

There’s not much about location that made Duke and UNC good for years except maybe UNC cheating legally for 35 years under Dean and Roy and not everyone thinks the Carolinas are a great place to live. I personally would not choose to live there.

My biggest issue with your posts is your psychoanalysis of Syracuse locals which I think is extremely inaccurate as I’ve lived here for 16 years of my life and the 18 years prior to that I lived in the Mohawk Valley.

I work for a company downtown and everyone in my department is a basketball fan first and even with football being good the buzz is first and foremost around basketball(college and high school).

Last edited:
You are over-valuing it.

Michigan has similar weather but its a huge State school (2X the size of SU) l surrounded by hundreds of thousands of alumni who identify with UM very strongly. SU's alumni base is concentrated in Metro areas which explains why we draw so well in NYC and DC. SU home attendance depends largely on the local fans who certainly aren't all SU alums (if this board is representative). That support depends largely on continued success. I can't see a people wanting to sit in the upper reaches of the Dome to see SU lose most of its games.

You’re nuts. I don’t have the time or inclination to debate your “the sky will fall” predictions for SU b-ball in the post-JB era. Let’s just say I disagree. Syracuse will reload at the head coach position just like Louisville did recently and b-ball schools like Xavier (which is not even on our level) have over and over again (from Skip Prosser to Tad Matta to Sean Miller to Chris Mack). JB and the SU ADs have spent 43 years building this program so it will last well after he’s gone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom