Three road games, how do we do? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Three road games, how do we do?

So you have gone from Syracuse being one of the Top 10-15 schools in the country (aggregate) over the last 3 decades to it "losing most of its games". That's a logical jump.

Syracuse basketball has been the identity of the city for a long, long time. Football has come and gone, but basketball defines it. Attendance has been top 2 in the COUNTRY since 1980. The school is in a powerhouse conference, has a state-of-the-art practice facility, a recruiting budget that I'm sure is on par with all other schools... the list goes on. Yet you have them "losing most of its games" after Boeheim. Right.

The hire will be key, and if it isn't right the AD/Chancellor can't be afraid to make a quick hook to get the right person in. But make no mistake -- the pool of candidates that want the job will not be populated by 100% "mid major" coaches.
He also undervalues Syracuse basketball’s draw throughout upstate, not just in Syracuse but in Rochester, Watertown, Binghamton, Utica, Albany, even Buffalo. We’re the only high major D1 program in upstate. And we play in the best b-ball conference in the country.

Last edited:
I actually spend a majority of the year outside the DC area. (out of the US, primarily)

Clearly, 0307 doesn't know much about the pre-Boeheim, pre-Big East era at SU when we were only a football school. And this was during the era the Nats played in Syracuse (or right after)

SU basketball, to me is actually an improbable, near-miracle and its success rests on four pillars; Boeheim. ESPN, the sudden rise of the Big East and the unplanned move to the Carrier Dome.
JB would disagree. He believes it’s a very good job and hasn’t said so many times.

Yes, the program was built on those pillars. But as long as we pick a good coach and skilled recruiter to replace JB, new and better pillars will still remain. Rabid local and state-wide basketball following (only major conference program in NYS), affiliation with the best basketball conference in the country, top-flight b-ball facilities, a home court advantage that also allows for SU b-ball to be a major revenue generator because of the possibilities of multiple crowds of 30,000+ in a season. Look at the rankings of Forbes and other media outlets for most valuable b-ball programs. SU is always in the top 5 or 10.

Last edited:
And Villanova has won 2 of the last 3 national titles. Your point?
You’re nuts. I don’t have the time or inclination to debate your “the sky will fall” predictions for SU b-ball in the post-JB era. Let’s just say I disagree. Syracuse will reload at the head coach position just like Louisville did recently and b-ball schools like Xavier (which is not even on our level) have over and over again (from Skip Prosser to Tad Matta to Sean Miller to Chris Mack). JB and the SU ADs have spent 43 years building this program so it will last well after he’s gone.

I guess we'll see what happens.

I'm reminded of the saying, "Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the details of the problem".

But we might be able to hang on with all that momentum, just like in lacrosse where we were a dominant program that never missed the tourney or Final Four.

Whoops...

Last edited:
There’s nothing remotely similar to BC and Syracuse. BC is in a pro sports town so they never will have local fans like Syracuse.

Both Private schools with high tuitions
Both about the same size
Both in Northeast
Both came from Big East to the ACC
Both have a large percentage of their students and almuni from outside the immediate area.

Oh yeah, BC is in a major metro area and SU isn't.

Both Private schools with high tuitions
Both about the same size
Both in Northeast
Both came from Big East to the ACC
Both have a large percentage of their students and almuni from outside the immediate area.

Oh yeah, BC is in a major metro area and SU isn't.

Wake me up when BC invests in athletics and has people show up at their games.

You can’t compare it.

Locals give two splits about BC.

That’s not Syracuse.

Wake me up when BC invests in athletics and has people show up at their games.

You can’t compare it.

Locals give two splits about BC.

That’s not Syracuse.

You are confusing the temporary and ephemeral (fan interest and support) with the real (size, geo location, private vs. public)

The Redskins used to have packed houses and a line of thousands waiting for a chance to buy season ticket. They don't anymore.

More similarities between Syracuse and Boston College:

1. They have buildings.

2. They are located on Earth.

3. They have vowels in their names.

#Doomed.

Gimme me a couple of schools that are similar to SU in your opinion. And we'll see if they pass any kind of logical tests for similarity.

Which is surprising because I always assumed 50 Shades of Grey was Townies favorite novel.

Haven't read it or seen the flick.

But you seem to know what it's about. Can you illuminate me (and maybe tell me what attracted you to it)?

I just came up with another one. Boston College and Syracuse are within the thirteen original British Colonies.

Do you think we’re gonna have to drop down the the Patriot, or will Conference USA take a flier on us?

No. Nothing that drastic. We could paddle along in the middle of the ACC making the Tourney some years as a low seed and missing it others.

We could be Miami or Virginia Tech or Florida State.

Last edited:
I would obviously love to see us go 3-0, but I feel 2-1 would be more realistic. Even 1-2 would get us to 6-3 with two very winnable home games after the road trip. Five of the last seven games are really tough so we have to make hay while the sun shines.

1-2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom