Three weeks until opening kickoff | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Three weeks until opening kickoff

I caught part of Purdue’s camp preview a day or two ago and somehow they are returning 55% of their offensive production. That seems high to me after losing their QB, TE and top WR. I’ll take their word for it I guess.

I caught part of Purdue’s camp preview a day or two ago and somehow they are returning 55% of their offensive production. That seems high to me after losing their QB, TE and top WR. I’ll take their word for it I guess.
We are returning 70%.

70>55.

Its probably broken down into rushing yds, passing yds and receiving yds. Say Purdue has returning 10% of passing yds , 90% of rushing yds, and 50% of receiving yds. Split equally that would be an average of 50%.

Just guessing but Syracuse could have 100% of passing yds, 35% of rushing yds (keeping Shrader and Lequint) and 75% of receiving yds returning (losing Cooper and Tucker). That would be 70% total returning.

But when you lose your starting QB and #1 receiver that is a much bigger loss than the returning production percent says. RB production is probably the easiest to replace i'd say.

Sometimes people use the dislike to say they are agreeing with you that football season goes too fast and he dislikes that fact. I’ve seen that use of the dislike button before.
Well said, 690.

D wins games and we are going to have an amazing D this season. Best in a very long time.
If we are smart, we need to play field position football against the big boys. Take advantage of a great punter and a great D. Make teams earn their points. The O is going to score enough so as long as we don't give away points we will be in every game. Need Purdue on the road and i think 7 wins is a lock. If the cards fall in our favor, we could actually run the table as there isn't a team on the schedule, we can't beat. Not one.

D wins games and we are going to have an amazing D this season. Best in a very long time.
If we are smart, we need to play field position football against the big boys. Take advantage of a great punter and a great D. Make teams earn their points. The O is going to score enough so as long as we don't give away points we will be in every game. Need Purdue on the road and i think 7 wins is a lock. If the cards fall in our favor, we could actually run the table as there isn't a team on the schedule, we can't beat. Not one.
Like the optimism

Right now we lost two guys that look to be starting for two Top 10 teams...I figure Linton could be a starter too.

If we can be better on D...then 8 wins is very doable.

Like the optimism

Right now we lost two guys that look to be starting for two Top 10 teams...I figure Linton could be a starter too.

We will be considerably better on D over the course of the season as we have depth that we haven't had. Each position group can go three deep. We are stacked.

Hot Take-- I think given the additions Dino has made to the defensive backfield, Steve's transferring will be the most impactful of the three on defense. He was a jackrabbit in opposing backfields.

Like the optimism

Last year, the team went into the season with Lockett and Darton as known commodities in the middle, with Fuentes-Cundiff likely to see time based on necessity. Then Lockett went down. And teams started to gash the defense on the ground.

This year, Lockett, Darton, and Fuentes-Cundiff are joined by Ingraham. Perhaps Bassette and Perry will be ready for a few snaps too. If they can rotate six guys into the middle instead of relying on one undersized guy, that's a huge upgrade for the 2023 season.

Agree the D can be very good. I do believe people were a little too cavalier about our losses in the secondary but I’m coming around that our depth on DL and LB can help to make up for it. And, if the replacement DBs can be solid, the D can blossom. Despite our depth at DL, I’m always a bit concerned about size. The 3-3-5 is a fun D, but clearly susceptible to the run, which is why I’ve been interested in the Bama DT. Not sure if he will contribute there or not. We’ll see. Having said that, I like our athleticism on DL and we’ll surely be disruptive. If we can identify a speed rush DE, that would also up the potential. In the end, yeah, the D should be good, which leads me to think about every D’s best friend…the O-line. If we can possess the ball to the point where our defensive depth doesn’t need to be constantly tested, it would change the dynamic on our ability to attack tremendously. I don’t think this version of our offense is built to grind it out, but an offensive line that can get those crucial yards and keep drives alive in key moments will actually take our D to another level.

Last year, the team went into the season with Lockett and Darton as known commodities in the middle, with Fuentes-Cundiff likely to see time based on necessity. Then Lockett went down. And teams started to gash the defense on the ground.

This year, Lockett, Darton, and Fuentes-Cundiff are joined by Ingraham. Perhaps Bassette and Perry will be ready for a few snaps too. If they can rotate six guys into the middle instead of relying on one undersized guy, that's a huge upgrade for the 2023 season.
BTW...this is where we need an "Orange Kool-aid" icon

To show I love the post in a totally fanboy way.
images.jpeg

Not surprising when you consider that for his 11th post on this forum he decided to attack Tomcat for his support of SU soccer.
Wow I didn't see those until just now. That was just a bit over the top!

But to get us back on topic, looking forward to the season. I'm actually going to put some thought into my predictions for that thread this weekend. We'll see if it makes any difference :)

And the special teams should be back to being very good.
We have enough depth to have very good players on special teams.

Unless Perry is truly a beast from Day 1, I would love him to get his four games in and redshirt. Hopefully a bit strategic as well to keep the other DT's healthy for the stretch-run.

Unless Perry is truly a beast from Day 1, I would love him to get his four games in and redshirt. Hopefully a bit strategic as well to keep the other DT's healthy for the stretch-run.

I would actually prefer for them NOT to play Perry early, maybe use Ty Gordon the early four games, and then have Perry's four games for the meat of the schedule [following your suggestion].

And if they aren't able to redshirt him, well -- that's the way it is.