Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
9400589-standard.jpg

"The ideal conference has 10 teams in the same geographic area where you play everyone twice,'' Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. "We're going as far away from that as we can. Why? To make money.''

Boeheim said the best-case scenario might be for the Big East to move to 20 teams and two 10-team divisions since there would be a round-robin schedule within the division. But you're really not in the same league, or at least you don't feel like you're in the same league, with another side that you barely play.
The realignment effect on college hoops By Andy Katz

Recruiting

jared-sullinger.jpg

Jared Sullinger Recruiting DaJuan Coleman to Ohio State

Coleman is the #3 center here

#4 Center Here

#6 Center here

Videos

9790480-large.jpg

Coleman has 'cuse in final three

Cavanaugh lists 'Cuse among five finalists

OOC Opponent

The team announced its complete schedule on Sept. 6 (the non-conference portion was announced last week) and it is headlined with games against Syracuse, Georgia Tech and, once again, St. John's.

The game against Syracuse will open the season on the road on Saturday, Nov. 12.

Playing a team of Syracuse's caliber and history made this an important game for Pecora to schedule.

"Syracuse is going to come into the season ranked fifth or sixth in the country," Pecora said. "So it will be a great challenge for us. I also like the idea of attacking zone early in the year, and obviously [Syracuse Head Coach] Jim [Boeheim] does a great job, as good as anybody playing that 2-3 [zone] matchup."
Basketball Announces 2011-2012 Non-Conference Schedule

Former Players

Andy Rautins helps keep Canada's slim Olympic hopes alive

Story From The Canadian Press

Boys' basketball: Taft could be the City title favorite

Jonny Flynn Stuff

Carmelo Anthony and Wife La La Appear on Regis and Kelly (Video)

Former Staff

The initial candidates, who were short listed for the interview, include Oklahoma City Thunder executive Troy Weaver. In addition to that, the Trail Blazers have also received the permission from the San Antonio Spurs to interview their assistant G.M Dennis Lindsey.

Portland’s president Larry Miller had also shown keen interest in the former Golden State Warriors G.M Chris Mullin, as per sources. The franchise is also looking to set up a meeting with Mullin’s in order to talk about the G.M post.

In the first phase, the Trail Blazers have scheduled an interview with Weaver that will take place on Thursday. Weaver had already met with the representatives of the Blazers in order to become the successor of former G.M Rich Cho, who was the former colleague of Troy in the Thunder.

Weaver has made it to this level within no time after he became the director of the Utah Jazz and then took over the No. 2 position in Oklahoma City. Weaver is famous for his tremendous gauging of talent and has lot of connections in every level of the game.

It was Weaver, who forced the Thunder to pick Russell Westbrook from the 2008 NBA Draft as No. 4 overall first round pick, which was way higher than any other NBA executive might have thought Westbrook to go.
B.c

Former Student

FOX Toledo Anchor Shaun Hegarty remembers 9/11

Around The Big East

2011-2012 BIG EAST TEAM CAPSULE: SYRACUSE

UConn sought other roster-reducing fixes

Seton Hall could skyrocket if Anderson picks Pirates

Villanova Releases 2011-12 Basketball Schedule

Paint Touches: Five Point Play

Around The Nation

Point guard Gaddy cleared to return to Huskies

Bucket list of arenas

Around Town

a89be3189500d742a4156194b03265d7.jpg

Syracuse landmark Aunt Josie's may close by the weekend

9810705-large.jpg

This article from July says:
Aunt Josie's Restaurant not for sale, plans 50th anniversary in October

I think if you look at it without Orange-colored glasses, Ohio State would be my front runner to land Coleman, based on their record with centers. What have they had, 3 straight guys who were top 5 picks or are going to be? The Ohio State campus is huge, though. It will seem like its own city when Coleman goes to visit. SU facilities and relative compactness in comparison might help. But Ohio State does a tremendous job with their centers, just like Kentucky (Calipari) does with their point guards.

I think if you look at it without Orange-colored glasses, Ohio State would be my front runner to land Coleman, based on their record with centers. What have they had, 3 straight guys who were top 5 picks or are going to be? The Ohio State campus is huge, though. It will seem like its own city when Coleman goes to visit. SU facilities and relative compactness in comparison might help. But Ohio State does a tremendous job with their centers, just like Kentucky (Calipari) does with their point guards.

Don't overstate Ohio State's success with Centers. I assume you are thinking of Sullinger, Koufos and Oden, but those guys weren't exactly developed at Ohio State.

As ranked by rivals Oden was #1 overall recruit in the 2006 class and only played at Ohio State for a single season, partial if I remember correctly.

Koufos was the #16 overall recruit in the 2007 class and #3 center and again was only at Ohio State for a single season.

Sullinger was the #5 overall recruit in the 2010 and #1 overall center. If his freshman year was any indication, he came to Columbus as a pretty polished player.

Igor would probably agree that even Bernie could make those guys look good.

I would think that OSU's attraction would be greater if there was a likelihood that he would play with Sullinger.
"Hey, we're great buds, come to my school. Oh, by the way, I wont be here when you get here."

I guess the flip side is he could view himself stepping into the role already carved out for Sullinger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom