Tiger... | Syracusefan.com

Tiger...

this comeback seems different. -3 in his first competitive round in forever. Never underestimate sobriety.
His chipping still sucks. ;)

this comeback seems different. -3 in his first competitive round in forever. Never underestimate sobriety.
Although he is one bad swing from reinjury, this comeback is different. Just listen to all of the commentary and tweets from his peers. He's outdriving Dustin Johnson on some holes (during practice rounds). Repeat: Dustin Johnson. He outdrove Justin Thomas, who is pound-for-pound the longest hitter in Tour, somewhat routinely today.

Tiger will win again and also add one last major, a la Jack @ 1986 Masters. Good start today.

There's a big difference physically from playing 9 or 18 holes every other day and playing 4 days in a row.

I expect the back to tighten up by Sunday but generally hold up this week in the warm weather. The real test will be when he comes stateside and has to play in the early morning frost.

Alcohol was not the problem. Pain killers for the back injury were.

Like everything else, golf has changed. Colin Montgomery said last year that if tiger was in his prime right now, he would be no better than 7th in the world. Fat Mike on the fan asked his golf guy and his golf guy said that is 100% true.

Like everything else, golf has changed. Colin Montgomery said last year that if tiger was in his prime right now, he would be no better than 7th in the world. Fat Mike on the fan asked his golf guy and his golf guy said that is 100% true.
On the other hand Montgomery would rank #1 on the list of jackasses.

100%

I'm actually not even looking for a number from him. In the second round I want to just see him play the Par 5's better and clean it up a bit around the green. He played the par 5's miserably. He can do that, he'll score. I do think he needs to add a few more tournaments to his early 2018 schedule. The more "live" rounds and reps he gets the better.

Ok no more golf talk for me, I'm getting the ich to head back to Florida and play a few rounds... yikes...

When Tiger comes back since 2010, or has a swing change, he usually has two major obstacles.

#1. He usually sucks to start and not only 72-75 type suckage (struggles with a swing change to the point that it somehow impacts his technical ability to chip which just seems odd). and after several bad starts finally starts putting it together.
#2. Gets injured fairly quickly.

The last time he was able to get an extended run of good health he won 8 times in 15 months and was #1 in the world. Many people act like he has done nothing since 2010, but in 2013 his world ranking points were higher than anybody else has accomplished in the last 7 years. . In 2015, he struggled for a while before finally having 3 or 4 fairly decent tournaments (10th - 20th)... and then got hurt again. Last time he never even really got started.

Perhaps #1 might not be that much of an obstacle this time. But #2 is still always a major concern

The current world number #1, #2, #5, #6, and every player currently between #8-15, were part of the tour in 2013.. Granted Jordan and Hideki were younger. Tiger's world ranking average peak in 2013, was higher than anybody else has done since 2010. That was 4 years ago, and he was not the player in 2013 that he was in 2000 or 2005. And yet just 4 years later, his peak level would be #7. Sure thing... Hater say some silly stuff.

Just the opposite. They play better offense. They hit the ball further.

Sure, but at the end of the day, it's about putting the ball in the hole. Tiger's average numbers back in his absolute prime were still better than anyone today. I don't know why anyone thinks that if he came around a decade later, he'd be a worse golfer than he was back then. As you said, people hit it further in today's generation. If Tiger were brought up in this newer generation, his numbers would probably only have improved.

Can't stand Tiger as a person but I hope this comeback is for real. He makes golf more exciting.

Sure, but at the end of the day, it's about putting the ball in the hole. Tiger's average numbers back in his absolute prime were still better than anyone today. I don't know why anyone thinks that if he came around a decade later, he'd be a worse golfer than he was back then. As you said, people hit it further in today's generation. If Tiger were brought up in this newer generation, his numbers would probably only have improved.

The 2000 version of Tiger Woods was the best golfer ever. Career wise most will argue, as I will I, that it is still Jack. But in 2000, he was something else.

In 2000, he won 3 majors, one by 15 strokes and one by 8 strokes, and also won a WGC event by 11 strokes. He also won 6 other times.

The 2000 version of Tiger Woods was the best golfer ever. Career wise most will argue, as I will I, that it is still Jack. But in 2000, he was something else.

In 2000, he won 3 majors, one by 15 strokes and one by 8 strokes, and also won a WGC event by 11 strokes. He also won 6 other times.
2000 US Open at Pebble Beach was the most dominant a golfer ever was.
Then he destroyed St. Andrew’s and the Open.

2000 Tiger destroys any field.

Tiger helped create these players we have now but at his peak he personifies dominance.
His Ryder Cup play is his only blemish as a golfer.

Sergio becomes Tiger at the Ryder Cup and Tiger becomes a bum.

I wouldn't call it a comeback, its the heroes classic, lets take it easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom