Time For A Shakeup... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time For A Shakeup...

Hire Jay Wright away from Nova as JB's replacement.
My dad has been saying that for years...but what would the appeal to coming to Syracuse be for him? He is on easy street at Nova

No one here is happy nor should we be.

This isn't a program that plays in the post season NIT. Blame it on JB, GMAC, the players, the NCAA, (I'll personally blame Daryl Gross, he needs one more kick in the a**, j/k) but this is a low point.

We had the lowest RPI of the last 4, 2 road wins and don't leave the dome for 2 months, what did we expect? We didn't deserve to be in.

Now with all that being said lets hope Lydon and Battle stay or we are really doomed for next year!

LOL!!!!

You'd think we were BC by all the nonsense getting posted of late.

Our conference record since joining the ACC:
14-4
9-9
9-9 - Final Four (but throw that away! :p)
10-8

Yup - absolute dogstuff. Burn everything. Photobucket burning couch

We finished our inaugural season after that 12-0 aberration start 2-4, 2-5 including the loss to NC State in the ACC tourney. So, since that aforementioned start, we've gone 30-31 in the regular season and 30-34 when considering the ACC tourney games.

That final four run last year was magical for sure, but we have been a mediocre ACC team at best and a bubble team for three straight years. It was very questionable whether we would have made the Dance two years ago had we not placed ourselves on the tourney ban.

Filtering through all the various emotion as you elude to, at the end of the day, we are nothing more than a mediocre middle of the pack ACC team as our conference record suggests and speaks of.

It remains to be seen what next year holds in store, but it appears at this point getting to .500 again next year, could be our most accomplished feat in the conference yet...5 years into it.

So, unless the fan base is satisfied with being nothing more than an average ACC team, reason for concern is certainly understandable.

We finished our inaugural season after that 12-0 aberration start 2-4, 2-5 including the loss to NC State in the ACC tourney. So, since that aforementioned start, we've gone 30-31 in the regular season and 30-34 when considering the ACC tourney games.

That final four run last year was magical for sure, but we have been a mediocre ACC team at best and a bubble team for three straight years. It was very questionable whether we would have made the Dance two years ago had we not placed ourselves on the tourney ban.

Filtering through all the various emotion as you elude to, at the end of the day, we are nothing more than a mediocre middle of the pack ACC team as our conference record suggests and speaks of.

It remains to be seen what next year holds in store, but it appears at this point being .500 yet again next year, may be our most accomplished feat in the conference yet...5 years into it.

There are excellent high points and real tangible accomplishments sprinkled in there too. Programs, especially in this era, are cyclic. We are in a down mode right now and that is in no small part due to 10 years of NCAA investigation and resulting sanctions. We also have the unprecedented uncertainty of the looming retirement of the HOF coach. I personally do not think this is the end of the program. Things will get better again.

There are excellent high points and real tangible accomplishments sprinkled in there too. Programs, especially in this era, are cyclic. We are in a down mode right now and that is in no small part due to 10 years of NCAA investigation and resulting sanctions. We also have the unprecedented uncertainty of the looming retirement of the HOF coach. I personally do not think this is the end of the program. Things will get better again.

Yes. Moreover, as you elude, the upcoming looming uncertainty is the weighty concern, as it's the horse pulling the already faltering wagon now 4 years into the ACC.

We need players. We had 4.5 good players this year and may only return 1.5 of them. We need a legitimate center and PG to build around at some point. Right now we have a good shooting guard and 2 good power forwards. We need to find help st the 1, 3, and 5.

I was highly skeptical of how GMac got his spot, to begin with.

There's been the recruiting stuff.

We just haven't been all that good while he's been an assistant.

I think there's some correlation there. I think him being on staff in the role he has puts us at a disadvantage.

Where do you factor in the sanctions that put restrictions on our recruiting presence the past couple years?

why? I'm happy with guard improvement. battle came on as the season went on. gillon was fine. mali got better last year enough to get drafted. gbinje went from a sf to a pg. cant bat 1,000 on every player.

No, we just need more and better players.

I don't think it's the end of the program by any means, but some big changes in philosophy need to happen. Our talent evaluation needs to get far better, our roster management has to get much better, and coaching needs to step it up more.

Unless a Carmelo Anthony is walking through the door we may not sniff the top 25 for a couple of years.

LOL!!!!

You'd think we were BC by all the nonsense getting posted of late.

Our conference record since joining the ACC:
14-4
9-9
9-9 - Final Four (but throw that away! :p)
10-8

Yup - absolute dogstuff. Burn everything. Photobucket burning couch

I can't believe you'd think that record was anywhere close to adequate.

Do you know what Gerry's job is?
Gerry coaches the guards and was the lead recruiting coach last offseason because of JB and Hop being with USA basketball in Vegas and Brazil.

I was highly skeptical of how GMac got his spot, to begin with.
There's been the recruiting stuff.
We just haven't been all that good while he's been an assistant.
I think there's some correlation there. I think him being on staff in the role he has puts us at a disadvantage.
This is your perception and that's fine. I just think this kind of unfairly places blame on GMac for the way Cuse has been last couple years and for his specific role in recruiting. May be correlation or coincidence, hard to know for sure.

Where do you factor in the sanctions that put restrictions on our recruiting presence the past couple years?

It hasn't impacted our recruiting presence nearly enough to offer an excuse. Our staff hasn't been out watching kids that often as is let alone 3-4 of them at once. I go to quite a few NEPSAC games and see schools checking in on kids all the time and nobody sends more than 2 guys at once unless it's some exception. Often times it's one coach watching. I've said this a bunch of times so many are probably sick of it but we didn't go watch Hudson Catholic once this year. They're mailing it in.

This is your perception and that's fine. I just think this kind of unfairly places blame on GMac for the way Cuse has been last couple years and for his specific role in recruiting. May be correlation or coincidence, hard to know for sure.

You're probably right. JB and Hop should have realized their participation in USA basketball at this point, with these recruiting restrictions, was a detriment to the team. Hop most definitely should have begged off. Let JB travel the world with NBA players.

I just can't picture GMac inspiring confidence for a parent in a living room.

He was put in a tough spot, but blame has to go somewhere. If you get a job and you're replacing somebody and do a worse job than the person who was doing it last or the company is failing and going down hard there needs to be some accountability.

It is probably unfair to throw it all on Gmac, we could have gone after another coach but we didn't, we could have gone after a Murphy, Weaver, etc etc, but we didn't, we went after a kid with zero ties to HS basketball who was a fan favorite.

Maybe he was put in an impossible situation but if that's the case then JB needs to share some of that blame.

He was put in a tough spot, but blame has to go somewhere. If you get a job and you're replacing somebody and do a worse job than the person who was doing it last or the company is failing and going down hard there needs to be some accountability.

It is probably unfair to throw it all on Gmac, we could have gone after another coach but we didn't, we could have gone after a Murphy, Weaver, etc etc, but we didn't, we went after a kid with zero ties to HS basketball who was a fan favorite.

Maybe he was put in an impossible situation but if that's the case then JB needs to share some of that blame.
I want to be clear - I'm not throwing it all on GMac.

I think the way he got his job was unusual and not necessarily merited. I can't say since then he's really solidified himself.

I think we could find a better coach to take his spot, and we'd be more successful. And I don't think it's unreasonable for his career growth to think he probably could benefit from learning elsewhere.

I want to be clear - I'm not throwing it all on GMac.

I think the way he got his job was unusual and not necessarily merited. I can't say since then he's really solidified himself.

I think we could find a better coach to take his spot, and we'd be more successful. And I don't think it's unreasonable for his career growth to think he probably could benefit from learning elsewhere.
His first college job shouldn't have been at a top 10 program during a transition.
Suppose Hopkins wants his own guys getting rid of GMac will be impossible or cause a messy divorce.

He should have started at a smaller school and worked his way up.

His first college job shouldn't have been at a top 10 program during a transition.

He should have started at a smaller school and worked his way up.
Yep.

What is this crap that Hop is delegating recruiting to Gmac? Jimmy was out there doing the heavy lifting until he was about 60. Hop hasn't accomplished anything. Get out there and recruit as the head guy if you want to be successful and be in that seat for a while.

People can complain about Gmac, but how is he stopping Red or Hop from going to watch recruits play? I think Hop deserves his shot, but it seems like he's got lazy on the trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom