Time For A Shakeup... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Time For A Shakeup...

I dont know that any one coach can have a laser focus for the blame here. Why cant we just blame them as a group?!?!

I always post evidence hahaha. If you have facebook you should add me on there and you'll see the shenanigans, some things I can't post on here. lol

Please send me your FB in PM. Hell, can you give me some picks along with the pics?!?! ;) I dont normally facebook, which got me left out of the FB "pay side", but I do have one with my alter ego, like Dale Gribble on King of the Hill. I'll log in to see your s*xu*l antics!

Why did Hop need to be with Team USA?
I don't know why he was but Coach K or JB had Hop as part of the advance scouting team for Team USA.
He was in the team USA basketball infrastructure. Which left recruiting up to GMac and Autry and we all know how GMac did.

I appreciate everyone's perspective. There are valid opinions which differ. Fair or unfair, for me the program seems a bit stale. Some great moments for sure but I still have trouble understanding having our top 2 coaches with Team USA (when you can only have two recruiters on the road) - and having GMac as lead recruiter for the critically important PG position - and Then putting all your eggs in the Quade Green basket (notwithstanding the Washington offer). I don't have a problem with a kid deciding to go to Kentucky. I do have a problem with the whole thought and decision making process regarding the above.

I appreciate everyone's perspective. There are valid opinions which differ. Fair or unfair, for me the program seems a bit stale. Some great moments for sure but I still have trouble understanding having our top 2 coaches with Team USA (when you can only have two recruiters on the road) - and having GMac as lead recruiter for the critically important PG position - and Then putting all your eggs in the Quade Green basket (notwithstanding the Washington offer). I don't have a problem with a kid deciding to go to Kentucky. I do have a problem with the whole thought and decision making process regarding the above.

Part of Coach K's master plan to bury us.

If your hamstrung wrt number of coaches you can put out there then you really should have your biggest gun out there (IE JB)

I think Francis said that?

I said it before, I think Devendorf would do better in a parents living room than GMac.

I think you jus think Devo would do better with you in a bar on a typical night than GMac would. ;)

If your hamstrung wrt number of coaches you can put out there then you really should have your biggest gun out there (IE JB)

I think Francis said that?

I'd rather put out the coaches that can cover the most ground in the shortest amount of time.

JB doesn't move that fast anymore.

I'd rather put out the coaches that can cover the most ground in the shortest amount of time.

JB doesn't move that fast anymore.

Meh. But not like our footprint for recruiting is that big.

Why did Hop need to be with Team USA?

On the surface I agree, but on a side note. When you are recruiting young guys in our popularity obsessed society and you are getting texts or calls from NBA guys that might help a bit right? Photos, social media materials showing you working with the best NBA players is perhaps something that could help for years to come. I also wonder how much JB's role in USA Basketball repaired the image of the program after the horrific press of Fine. So in some ways it could be argued either way maybe?

Although that said, I agree completely. Once we were penalized we shouldn't have our future HC running around Brazil on the eve of his debut!

In some ways, our biggest upcoming challenge is also the potential solution to some of our biggest problems. We all agree that you need players to compete. We also agree that JB hasn't been tremendously energetic (and/or distracted by things like USA bball) with respect to recruiting and his retirement is a source of future uncertainty that is probably not appealing to some recruits. His retirement is also a big threat in terms of the uncharted waters it puts the program in. I personally believe that Hopkins will infuse new energy into recruiting. Even though we lose the draw of a HOF coach, as many have pointed out, the HOF coach also comes with the some baggage including the stain of violations, curmudgeonly behavior, poor representation of the nature of the program in the media, slavish adherence to a style of play that can be negatively recruited against very easily, etc. So in that respect, his retirement may not represent doomsday.

This all comes down to how you want to feel going forward. We can invent future scenarios where the team blows for 8 years. We can also point to scenarios where they recover and re-energized by the coaching change - keeping all the other existing positives. The truth will doubtless be somewhere in between those two extremes.

I think you jus think Devo would do better with you in a bar on a typical night than GMac would. ;)

For sure.

But could you imagine the impact of Devendorf going in giving a speech of where he was coming out of high school, the accolades the skill, the everything, to what he went through at the Cuse and then going on about how he became a man and worked his way from being asked to leave the program to coming back as a coach and getting his degree?

I'd sign my kid up for that every day.

People can complain about Gmac, but how is he stopping Red or Hop from going to watch recruits play? I think Hop deserves his shot, but it seems like he's got lazy on the trail.

If that's true, that's a shame! Too many kids with too many events? They all have to shoulder the blame though.

How many guys did we lose anyway?

In some ways, our biggest upcoming challenge is also the potential solution to some of our biggest problems. We all agree that you need players to compete. We also agree that JB hasn't been tremendously energetic (and/or distracted by things like USA bball) with respect to recruiting and his retirement is a source of future uncertainty that is probably not appealing to some recruits. His retirement is also a big threat in terms of the uncharted waters it puts the program in. I personally believe that Hopkins will infuse new energy into recruiting. Even though we lose the draw of a HOF coach, as many have pointed out, the HOF coach also comes with the some baggage including the stain of violations, curmudgeonly behavior, poor representation of the nature of the program in the media, slavish adherence to a style of play that can be negatively recruited against very easily, etc. So in that respect, his retirement may not represent doomsday.

This all comes down to how you want to feel going forward. We can invent future scenarios where the team blows for 8 years. We can also point to scenarios where they recover and re-energized by the coaching change - keeping all the other existing positives. The truth will doubtless be somewhere in between those two extremes.
I'll go with the positive viewpoint, particularly if Hop can bring in a good recruiter.

You're probably
. JB and Hop should have realized their participation in USA basketball at this point, with these recruiting restrictions, was a detriment to the team. Hop most definitely should have begged off. Let JB travel the world with NBA players.

I just can't picture GMac inspiring confidence for a parent in a living room.

What??? I think the bigger problem is hop. This Coach in waiting thing for 20 years is a joke and don't think that teams and players dont notice it.

We finished our inaugural season after that 12-0 aberration start 2-4, 2-5 including the loss to NC State in the ACC tourney. So, since that aforementioned start, we've gone 30-31 in the regular season and 30-34 when considering the ACC tourney games.

I love how people completely discount prior successes, when they want to dwell on what they deem failure.
Stuff like "after the 25-0 start" or your "after that 12-0 abberration start".
Sorry - those good things happened. You can't ignore them to suit your narrative.

Yes, our overall ACC results leave much to be desired, but then again - that's what the NCAA wanted.
We got hit with the hardest hoops sanctions pretty much ever, short of getting the death penalty.
The fact that we've remained competitive in the deepest, toughest conference is borderline amazing.

We still have not had a losing overall or conference season, in spite of those sanctions.
And threw in a Final Four run last year, to really piss the negative Nancies off. ;)

For sure.

But could you imagine the impact of Devendorf going in giving a speech of where he was coming out of high school, the accolades the skill, the everything, to what he went through at the Cuse and then going on about how he became a man and worked his way from being asked to leave the program to coming back as a coach and getting his degree?

I'd sign my kid up for that every day.

Ok, I can agree with all of that. Just for fun, it would be cool to imagine my joke about him hitting Vegas with you!

But yes, showing his life stoary with how Cuse transformed him so greatly, it would be EPIC. Then again, I am not sure how Gerry speaks, and if he can tell how Syracuse elevated him to be an EPIC player, and some of his hoops accomplishments... I think that could have some value too.

Ok, I can agree with all of that. Just for fun, it would be cool to imagine my joke about him hitting Vegas with you!

But yes, showing his life stoary with how Cuse transformed him so greatly, it would be EPIC. Then again, I am not sure how Gerry speaks, and if he can tell how Syracuse elevated him to be an EPIC player, and some of his hoops accomplishments... I think that could have some value too.

Devendorf couldn't keep up. I have a couple of years on him, but I do remember hanging out with him a couple of times at the Country Club, always seemed cool and nothing like the negative you hear about him.

These days I don't think kids really care about what Gmac did in Orange, not one kid he speaks to that he'd actually have to sell to would understand a bunch of buses coming to the hill. More kids are like Eric than they are Gerry.

Dismissing positive achievements does not bolster the argument that performance has otherwise been poor.
That's like the mechanic who, when you take your car in and tell him it's broken, says, "yeah, but was it running good last week?"

I love how people completely discount prior successes, when they want to dwell on what they deem failure.
Stuff like "after the 25-0 start" or your "after that 12-0 abberration start".
Sorry - those good things happened. You can't ignore them to suit your narrative.

Yes, our overall ACC results leave much to be desired, but then again - that's what the NCAA wanted.
We got hit with the hardest hoops sanctions pretty much ever, short of getting the death penalty.
The fact that we've remained competitive in the deepest, toughest conference is borderline amazing.

We still have not had a losing overall or conference season, in spite of those sanctions.
And threw in a Final Four run last year, to really piss the negative Nancies off. ;)

Yeah, I mean...if you ignore the finish to 2014 and the regular seasons the last 3 years and focus on 25-0 and 2016 postseason, then we're 29-1! Almost unbeatable.

Ridiculous? It's not much different than all the Constanzas who ignore everything good that we do.

It hasn't been good for a short while. Team needs to get back to dominance and they can.

As long as he leaps vertically onto the bar and pops his jersey like he did at MSG!

One of my favorite moments of all time for SU. Maybe only the championship trumps it. That was absolutely EPIC!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom