Time to go grad transfer shopping | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Time to go grad transfer shopping

Blackshear would change the equation. II'm sure Buddy and JB would take one for the team to get a player of his ability.

Plus Edwards or Ajak could definitely redshirt next season as well.

Plus Edwards or Ajak could definitely redshirt next season as well.
If both redshirt, they still count against the 13 scholarship limit. The only way Syracuse can add another player is for one to leave; Someone like Brissette.

With Edwards we are at 13 but we can add one more due to Buddy/JB.

That would actually be perfect -- and set things up nicely for either Edwards or Ajak to redshirt. Blackshear completely changes the equation at 5, the frosh aren't thrust into the fire too early, and one of them gets the benefit of an additional year of development.

Of course, it probably won't happen. But I'd love to see JB seek to add a 14th player who could help rectify that need.

That would actually be perfect -- and set things up nicely for either Edwards or Ajak to redshirt. Blackshear completely changes the equation at 5, the frosh aren't thrust into the fire too early, and one of them gets the benefit of an additional year of development.

Of course, it probably won't happen. But I'd love to see JB seek to add a 14th player who could help rectify that need.

Do we know if there any restrictions on grad transfers within conference?

Latest on Blackshear...

"What is the fuss surrounding Kerry Blackshear? It for good reason as the Virginia Tech standout is one of the most productive, impactful prospects that we have seen within the grad-transfer waters in recent years and could single-handedly put a program over the top in pursuit of next year’s national title. He averaged 14.9 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists last season.

A 6-foot-10 center and one of the best passing big men in the college game, Blackshear decided to transfer out of Virginia Tech following the departure of Buzz Williams. He could follow his former coach to Texas A&M as Williams completed an in-home visit with Blackshear’s family on Saturday evening. However, the competition for him remains fierce.

First, Blackshear will test the NBA waters, but if the feedback isn’t what he had envisioned, expect for him to be back in college next year, though not in Blacksburg.

On Monday evening, Kentucky’s John Calipari completed an in-home visit with Blackshear's family. The Wildcats are definitely a top suitor for him, but this is not a done deal for the blue blood. There has been talk of his desire to play close to home which would bolster Florida’s chances with him. However, there are some dark horses in the race as Gonzaga, Michigan State and Tennessee are three to keep an eye on.

Do not expect a college commitment any time soon. Blackshear’s focus will be on the NBA and with the deadline to pull his name out of the draft not until June 10, a college commitment should not be expected until late May, at the earliest. Buckle up because there is some time to go with the top grad-transfers this spring."

Penny dropping dolllars left and right. Absurd that all these top 100 kids and coveted transfers suddenly want to go play in the also-ran American conference for a coach with exactly one year of college coaching experience. Dirty doings going on there at Memphis.

Penny dropping dolllars left and right. Absurd that all these top 100 kids and coveted transfers suddenly want to go play in the also-ran American conference for a coach with exactly one year of college coaching experience. Dirty doings going on there at Memphis.

Hmm. Maybe.

At the same time, Penny is one of the few coaches who doesn’t seem like a dork. And he was an extremely popular player too. One of those guys whose popularity far exceeded his game(even though at his peak he was very, very good). He was a “cool” player who people liked. His signature sneakers still do well, and he hasn’t been a star player in 20 years. I think the kids like him/respect him and want to play for him.

Hmm. Maybe.

At the same time, Penny is one of the few coaches who doesn’t seem like a dork. And he was an extremely popular player too. One of those guys whose popularity far exceeded his game(even though at his peak he was very, very good). He was a “cool” player who people people liked. I think the kids like him/respect him and want to play for him.
While he seems like a good guy he is cheating.
The problem for him is Memphis isn’t a protected school.
Memphis isn’t getting these 4/5 star kids without something going on.
Calipari was cheating with Derrick Rose.

Penny is likely doing something and I don’t blame the kids.

Hmm. Maybe.

At the same time, Penny is one of the few coaches who doesn’t seem like a dork. And he was an extremely popular player too. One of those guys whose popularity far exceeded his game(even though at his peak he was very, very good). He was a “cool” player who people liked. His signature sneakers still do well, and he hasn’t been a star player in 20 years. I think the kids like him/respect him and want to play for him.
All of those accomplishments are as a player. What does being “cool” have to do with coaching and teaching kids the game? He’s unproven. He’s had exactly 1 year as a college head coach. Color me unimpressed. I think he’s cheating and arrogant to boot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom