Tipping point. Benny’s privacy and other matters. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tipping point. Benny’s privacy and other matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I did not see anything either. It seemed to me he was short and disappointed, not really in the mood for questions but he's the coach and has to answer questions at a presser after every game but over the years I have watched him and he will disregard you or not answer if he does not think your question is pertinent to the game.

Opnion: I feel the press likes to make, at times to get their copy read, bigger issues than they really are. The following is the best I can understand the beginning of the presser and the back and forth between the student reporter and Jim:

The student reporter asked "what's the status of Benny Williams?" Jim answered, "is that your question, that's your most important question you have, "He was not in school today... is that your most important question here?" Hard to make out the student reporters response about getting an answer. "I will answer it - your attitude isn't really that good either...softly chuckling. Benny took a personal day, he will be back at practice on Wednesday. That's it, we have that one question...that's typical in Syracuse, it is, it is... continued with other reporters.

What a bunch of namby pamby's taken aback by JB's reaction to the student reporters question. Jim is an honest, hard assed coach. Expecting less from him on a night like Monday is like staring at an alert rattlesnake. He answered the questions from the reporters genuinely and was cordial except for the beginning. At least he woke them up.
He didnt handle the question well. His answer created a bigger issue than necessary.

He didnt handle the question well. His answer created a bigger issue than necessary.
No he didn't but it is what it is and he is what he is and this has been going on for a long tome and no one has made a big deal out of it.

I agree, he could have handled things in a much better way.

If JB left when he was supposed to we would revere him forever at this school. I think he should retire as we have makings of a good team, but it needs something new. I hope he realizes that it’s time. New blood and uptick in recruiting with Weitsmans help. We don’t need to recruit like Duke but we need to play like and get coached up like Bennetts team. That team did not look fast or big or anything exceptional but played hard defense, didn’t make many turnovers and were incredibly smart at end of game. I do get they were experienced and we aren’t except our two seniors.

Me too.
Why is it a private matter? Is this a Hippa type of situation?

To be frank, once these students starting accepting NIL money I hold them to pretty much the same standard as I do when I root for the Celtics or Patriots. They are professionals in some regard. So yes, as a fan of SU, I do like to have questions answered why a starter randomly missed a game

Why is it a private matter? Is this a Hippa type of situation?

To be frank, once these students starting accepting NIL money I hold them to pretty much the same standard as I do when I root for the Celtics or Patriots. They are professionals in some regard. So yes, as a fan of SU, I do like to have questions answered why a starter randomly missed a game
Yes, the players are students.
But they've also made themselves public figures by being players.
There's nothing wrong with asking Benny what's up.
If he wants to talk he will...if he doesn't he won't.

Deservedly so.
In years past he could simply yell "scoreboard" and keep it moving. But no one, in the history of anything, has ever won a battle against the assembled media horde. One headline alone will skewer you, and retractions, apologies, et al, are largely ignored. Give them an opening, and they'll gut you.
We have an ornery old man at the helm, a la the fading Bob Knight, who just doesn't seem to "get it" anymore. And honestly, he could care less either.
Jesus he didn’t go on a rant, he didn’t put hands on a player

He’s always had a short fuse and they just lost another close game

This “controversy “ will last about as long as it did to type a tweet.

Yep blow it up into a firing offense because he snapped at a reporter

Yes, the players are students.
But they've also made themselves public figures by being players.
There's nothing wrong with asking Benny what's up.
If he wants to talk he will...if he doesn't he won't.
The problem with reporters is that they feel they have the "right" to ask any question they want and get offended when they get no answer or not the answer they want. Then 1 answer is not enough, there is ALWAYS a follow up question. Yes JB can be snarky, rude but is he the bad guy for not answering especially after a(nother) disappointing lose. Maybe he is but is it worth multiple pages of observations and responses some of which are as equally snarky and rude.

Just want the rest of the country to wake up. The fact that people can’t see what’s wrong here, never fails to amaze me.
What’s wrong here is entitled, ignorant fans who don’t have any true understanding of the genesis of their entitlement. What’s wrong here is people who have a surface understanding of the game who can’t handle adversity which they have been shielded from for generations. What’s wrong here is a lack of support founded in a lack of emotional resilience in a bunch of fair weather dolts.

What’s wrong here is entitled, ignorant fans who don’t have any true understanding of the genesis of their entitlement. What’s wrong here is people who have a surface understanding of the game who can’t handle adversity which they have been shielded from for generations. What’s wrong here is a lack of support founded in a lack of emotional resilience in a bunch of fair weather dolts.
Ouch

The Kid Mero Showtime GIF by Desus & Mero

Agreed. I did not see anything either. It seemed to me he was short and disappointed, pissed off, not really in the mood for questions but he's the coach and has to answer questions at a presser after every game but over the years I have watched him and he will disregard you or not answer if he does not think your question is pertinent to the game. Over forty years of this - you'd better be ready.

Opnion: I feel the press likes to make, at times to get their copy read, bigger issues than they really are. The following is the best I can understand the beginning of the presser and the back and forth between the student reporter and Jim:

The student reporter asked "what's the status of Benny Williams?" Jim answered, "is that your question, that's your most important question you have, "He was not in school today... is that your most important question here?" Hard to make out the student reporters response about getting an answer. "I will answer it - your attitude isn't really that good either...softly chuckling. Benny took a personal day, he will be back at practice on Wednesday. That's it, we have that one question...that's typical in Syracuse, it is, it is... continued with other reporters.

What a bunch of namby pamby's taken aback by JB's reaction to the student reporters question. Jim is an honest, hard assed coach. Expecting less from him on a night like Monday is like staring at an alert rattlesnake. He answered the questions from the reporters genuinely and was cordial except for the beginning. At least he woke them up.
Please don't rationalize this stuff. It's not normal.

FYI- Fairweather fans don't spend time on team message boards. The rest of it is basically saying if you criticize you are a whiny idiot and if you don't you are a better and smarter fan...

Agreed. I did not see anything either. It seemed to me he was short and disappointed, pissed off, not really in the mood for questions but he's the coach and has to answer questions at a presser after every game but over the years I have watched him and he will disregard you or not answer if he does not think your question is pertinent to the game. Over forty years of this - you'd better be ready.

and JB claims the student reporter's attitude was bad...?

FYI- Fairweather fans don't spend time on team message boards. The rest of it is basically saying if you criticize you are a whiny idiot and if you don't you are a better and smarter fan...
I think it depends on how long the weather is bad. I think the rest of your characterization is overly generalized. With respect to the instant discussion it’s probably more harshly worded than I would chosen but not inaccurate.

Like the fans that admitted they didn’t watch the game because they had better things to do. Then come on the forum after the game and bitc$$ that they lost.

I think it depends on how long the weather is bad. I think the rest of your characterization is overly generalized. With respect to the instant discussion it’s probably more harshly worded than I would chosen but not inaccurate.

I'm not sure. I've had plenty of mud tossed my way for simply being more critical over the past couple years after forever primarily an optimist. The weather hasn't been good for a while. That said insinuating that a good chunk of us are Fairweather is silliness. I've got the receipts from games, being an alum, donations and support of the program. Having a dreary take or outlook right now is not remotely being fair weather.

Like the fans that admitted they didn’t watch the game because they had better things to do. Then come on the forum after the game and bitc$$ that they lost.

I missed parts of the VT game and others this year for work while also criticizing after reading about it... and looking at the stats...

Agreed -- consider the alternative.

Question gets asked, he has a two sentence response about Benny being back Wednesday, and he says that's all he has to say about it.

Everyone's satisfied, the issue totally goes away because he didn't make a big deal about it.

Him reacting the way he did turned it into a controversy. And now that he's gotten negative media attention, the way he responded was embarrassing -- for HIM.

Last edited:
At what point are people allowed to criticize the team? According to our coach you have to be super tall and at the game (tv isn’t allowed).

Why is this program not allowed to be criticized? I can see if it’s to protect the kids, but this lies on an almost 80 year old man, he isn’t a child. And the “kids”, they’re getting paid now, this isn’t rec ball.

What’s funny to me is, we’re not allowed to critique and criticize a team that we watch every game of and have for years, but when some other team or coach who nobody watches coach is an idiot there’s a 500 page topic with criticism.

Just want the rest of the country to wake up. The fact that people can’t see what’s wrong here, never fails to amaze me.
The rest of the country doesn't care about SU basketball. It's not Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky. It doesn't move the needle on a national level. Are you saying JB being a meanie to a reporter after a game is what is wrong or the fact that his Win-Loss record has been on a downward trend for years is the problem?

Please don't rationalize this stuff. It's not normal.
It’s amazing how people do this in every aspect of life. Jim looked like an A**. Barstool ran a headline on it just absolutely tearing apart Boeheim and our team. It had 123k impressions on Twitter last night. AKA 123k people read that tweet alone. So down playing this is ridiculous, it was a valid question and Jim was looking to take out his frustrations on the first reporter he could. And he did it to a student ….. what a joke.

Every minute Jim B is our HC is a minute lost in regards to our program being “successful”. The ROI is not there. If you can’t see it, then you are delusional.

Ps - this has nothing to do with what he has done in his career. This comment has to do with present day.

It’s amazing how people do this in every aspect of life. Jim looked like an A**. Barstool ran a headline on it just absolutely tearing apart Boeheim and our team. It had 123k impressions on Twitter last night. AKA 123k people read that tweet alone. So down playing this is ridiculous, it was a valid question and Jim was looking to take out his frustrations on the first reporter he could. And he did it to a student ….. what a joke.
Imagine being AW and investing into the program just to have all the positive you’re doing just to have the program get soiled by the head coach. I know AW are friends, but JB isn’t making it easy for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom