TMZ reporting Kobe killed in copter crash | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

TMZ reporting Kobe killed in copter crash

Lifetime Laker fan. I never thought anyone could replace Magic and Kareem for m

Right there with you. I have been an unabashed Kobe fan since he arrived In LA. Often to the dismay of friends, colleagues, bar patrons etc... It seems odd to be this sad about the death of someone I don’t know. But I’m pretty damn sad.

Yeah. Most celebrity deaths don’t hit me overly hard. But Kobe was extremely visible and was on my team for 19 years going back to my childhood. Can’t even estimate a number at how many times I watched him play. So he feels way more familiar than most celebrities, to me.

Marvin Gaye I've never forgot. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the news came over the radio while we were driving. This is very sad, God bless his family.
I remember too, ironically enough, I was getting it on. Sorry, that’s a lie, I was 12.

In recent years, although not as shocking, Muhammad Ali.

Kobe was a man of the world, having lived abroad where his father played. Mike Wilpon just described the look of surprise and joy on Spanish basketball players at the Olympics when Kobe talked to them in their native language.

it brought to mind what I first heard of as an "old Spanish proverb: "Come into this world crying, surrounded by people who ware smiling and leave it smiling surrounded by people who are crying".

Obviously Kobe wasn't smiling in the last moment but he did plenty of it in his retirement, having had one of the great careers in sports and making a success of his post playing carer with his many interests and contributions to society and the people around him.

Last edited:
Kobe's intensity was always unbelievably high. In his first years in the league I wondered if he wouldn't burn himself out going at the pace he did. Tragic to see this happen to him and his daughter.

Though this was a shocker, I'm old enough to remember the punch in the gut I felt when I heard that President Kennedy had been shot. The days and events that followed were like some kind of a bad movie serial. Even today I can see the live coverage of Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald and the emotional funeral service will never leave my mind.

Both of these horrible events more real and more people truly caring than the self gratification that goes on in so many ways today.

Magic:
Was driving home from work, and the news came on during Mike & the Maddog. I had to pull over, along with about 10 other cars stalled on the BQE, stunned.
MJ:
Driving home from the gym in Yonkers- radio is wall-to-wall MJ music. Jokingly saying to myself;" Geez, what's going on, did he die or something"? Confirmed a few minutes later.
Today:
" At the Outlets Mall in Charlotte- in the food court, standing on line w/ my nephew. A young girl puts her hand to her mouth and says out loud; "OMG- Kobe Bryant just died"! Total silence. Chills. Disbelief.
Look out the store window and literally dozens of people are stopped in their tracks in the mall, seemingly not knowing what to do. Old lady, pushing 75 says; " I'm not a sports fan, but I know who he is. My poor grandson".
Unbelievable day.

Bill burr is always yammering away about his helicopter piloting .. I hope reconsiders After this ... only fly with pro pilots please .

this makes me sick to my stomach .. that poor family ..kobe dying is tragic enough .. but his daughter dying makes it horrific..

we all grow up living with the unspoken knowledge that we expect to see our parents pass at some point and we deal with it.. some get 80 years with their parents .. some get 8 minutes

But losing the 13 year old daughter really makes this an entire new level of pain ...

After the initial shock wore off, my thoughts actually went to Bill Burr too. Some of his favorite topics are helicopters, Boston/LA sports rivalries, and being a father. I’m really interested in hearing his podcast tomorrow.

With the way he keeps quitting everything that could take away time with his daughter, you gotta think he stops flying.

Cut out the 5 year waiting period to get in the hall of fame. And moron writers, stop not voting for obvious hall of famers because you decided they’re “not first ballot”. Give people their flowers while they can smell them.

Kobe never got to get inducted and give his speech.

Kobe's intensity was always unbelievably high. In his first years in the league I wondered if he wouldn't burn himself out going at the pace he did. Tragic to see this happen to him and his daughter.

Though this was a shocker, I'm old enough to remember the punch in the gut I felt when I heard that President Kennedy had been shot. The days and events that followed were like some kind of a bad movie serial. Even today I can see the live coverage of Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald and the emotional funeral service will never leave my mind.

Both of these horrible events more real and more people truly caring than the self gratification that goes on in so many ways today.
One of the things about growing old is that you have a lot more of these shocking deaths. I can remember everything from the day that JFK died like it was yesterday. And that was 57 years ago. Everyone was so sad. All my teachers were crying. It was the first time I had ever seen my mom cry. And on and on. The space shuttle. And like today with Kobe, it's always such a shock. Captain Tuttle made such a wise and thoughtful post. One thing I can tell you younger folks, Sometimes you don't get a second chance to tell the people that you love, that you love them. Don't live with that regret. Say it today. Tomorrow and every day.

Shockers: Grace Kelly, the Space Shuttle, Diana, JFK Jr., Prince, Kobe.

I truly don't even remember when Michael Jackson died or how i felt about it. I don't know why that's missing. Not meant to be a slight on him—i remember telling my best friend who is a massive fan, but i don't remember the effect on me.

Today, though—massive. So young, and so 'familiar.' With the Lakers as my team since Magic, and then with cable, and then living in LA the past 8 years, i probably saw Kobe more than any other player in my lifetime. And just yesterday in our minds as Lebron took the record. With Prince, he was massive for me in the 80s, but not really since. With Diana, i was never into 'the royals' or anything, but it was a global tragedy. I was in the Lawrinson 20 lounge, watching live when the space shuttle exploded. Maybe that was the worst...

Kobe was someone i had mixed feelings about. I thought his game was among the most beautiful ever. Sometimes a mirror of Jordan, and it was obvious who he wanted to be, but unlike all the other MJ wannabes, Kobe actually was as close to the real deal as you could be. The 'Denver thing' was hard to deal with. He was the star of my favorite team, but after that, i just couldn't be a Kobe fan. Same with Shaq—great player on my favorite team, winning championships for my team, but i disliked his personality and game, so there were some 'conflicts.' But, damn—maybe the most memorable play in my memory was in that Western Conference final, the Kobe to Shaq alley oop. I was in a cafe in Rio, watching with about 20 other americans and 10 Brazilians, and the place went absolutely nuts.

Helicopters, man. I just don't like them. So horrifically sad, to go with your daughter. To lose seven others who were just thrilled to be there.

I want to hope this kind of sudden tragedy means something more significant and long-lasting to people. That they'll embrace the constant opportunities to remind themselves what love and family and life and humanity mean, but i know those feelings will last only a few days and we'll all be back to our base, simple flaws.

Random thought: I wonder if this tragedy will have a significant negative impact on the helicopter industry (sightseeing rides, etc) at least in the short term.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom