TMZ reporting Kobe killed in copter crash | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

TMZ reporting Kobe killed in copter crash

Just incredibly sad. And so tragic for the others onboard as well.

I remember way back when I was in grad school I had two roommates, one who was a helicopter instructor. I came home from class one day and my other roommate told me that he died in a helicopter crash that day while flight instructing a student. I can still picture his face in my mind after many years. That was awful at the time. Today’s tragic event brings back an eerie sad memory. Prayers to Kobe’s family and the families of the other victims.

Random thought: I wonder if this tragedy will have a significant negative impact on the helicopter industry (sightseeing rides, etc) at least in the short term.
I rode in a helicopter one time and only one time on some excursion the Mrs. wanted to do on a trip. Never again, even before today. Never been more afraid in my entire life, enjoyed the sites zero and couldn't wait to get off the GD thing as it was not too long after one went down (again) in the Grand Canyon. Not a fan.

I rode in a helicopter one time and only one time on some excursion the Mrs. wanted to do on a trip. Never again, even before today. Never been more afraid in my entire life, enjoyed the sites zero and couldn't wait to get off the GD thing as it was not too long after one went down (again) in the Grand Canyon. Not a fan.

Kobe wasn’t riding in a puddle jumper

I’m sure someone can quote stats that depict how much safer it is than driving around in LA metro center traffic

Been on and off teary eyed all day. Such a terrible tragedy.

Definitely have not felt this way about anyone I’ve never even met before. It’s almost odd. Such a global icon with so much to still contribute. Especially his daughter.

Just an all time, terrible day.

Pilot error flying in heavy fog. This link shows fight path, altitude and controller communication. They didn’t know what hit them. rapid ascent in last couple seconds as pilots realized they were about to slam in mountain.

Pilot error flying in heavy fog. This link shows fight path, altitude and controller communication. They didn’t know what hit them. rapid ascent in last couple seconds as pilots realized they were about to slam in mountain.

Fog ? Really ? 2020 with a multimillion dollar Machine and billions worth of tech on board all derailed by ... FOG ? ... I guess we aren’t as advanced aviation wise as I thought

Fog ? Really ? 2020 with a multimillion dollar Machine and billions worth of tech on board all derailed by ... FOG ? ... I guess we aren’t as advanced aviation wise as I thought

yep. VFR. Low ceiling and cocky pilot.

I think the issue is they would rather rely on sight than the tech in the instrument panel in bad conditions...not really a tech issue

As someone else mentioned this is an Elvis like loss in this era. I remember the beginning of it all, when the Hornets drafted him and then the trade, the small time he and Jordan shared the same court and then the incredible moments. And then finally as he had his swan song handing over the torch. Glad for him he got to have some of those incredible post playing years with family and enjoying his children. Glad that the other family and Kobe and his daughter at least were not alone - unfortunately likely the pilot was..

Just hard swallow day and puts a lot into perspective. It is truly odd to be so impacted by something like this given the only relationship is being that of a fan. What a loss.

What’s VFR?...
Visual flight rules.

To fly any aircraft there are generally two sets of rules: VFR and IFR. IFR stands for Instrument Flight Rules and VFR stands for Visual Flight rules. ... On the whole there are many other aspects that influence the decision but in simple words it totally depends on the weather, whether a pilot fly VFR or IFR.

Visual flight rules.

To fly any aircraft there are generally two sets of rules: VFR and IFR. IFR stands for Instrument Flight Rules and VFR stands for Visual Flight rules. ... On the whole there are many other aspects that influence the decision but in simple words it totally depends on the weather, whether a pilot fly VFR or IFR.

Are these some of the same issues that caused John F Kennedy Jr to crash?

Visual flight rules.

So basically pilot thought he could see enough to not need the instruments directing the majority of the action ...

Seems pretty incompetent that one would be cocky enough to do that and not even know the terrain enough to realize there are mountains between where you are and where you’re going

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom