To all the faithful out there (and you know who you are).. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

To all the faithful out there (and you know who you are)..

Seasons since 1984 off and on (about 75% of the time, as I have lived in CT/MA since 1990).

My two oldest kids are in college and hadn’t seen SU play at a high level in their lifetime until this year. Yes the Texas Bowl Pinstripe Bowl years we’re nice, but that was in a watered down conference, and we weren’t ranked. No offense to those teams, but that wasn’t big time football.

This year is real. My son and I were in the end zone before the game today watching warmups upclose and I commented that these players were beasts. Real athletes. After the product we had to put on the field in the Grob years, these guys are football players. Well coached, and Effin winners.

If Dino leaves I will give up drugs and weightlifting.

Thanks Crusty, this is a great post.

I got season tickets when Marrone was hired after seeing his halftime speech at the SU/Villanova basketball game. Thank goodness they were in the price point I could afford at the time. So for all you fans that buy season tickets next year, thanks for jumping on the bandwagon.

I got my first season tickets in 1975, and have had them ever since, have always lived around Syracuse area except for my Naval service time(70-74) only years I really missed many games. I got my first tickets when SU used to sell a packet to school kids in the old Archbold bleachers in the fifties, early sixties. These did not include all the games. Many times I got in by begging tickets or sneaking into old Archy. I have been a diehard SU football follower ever since. I was there for all the greats(first game I remember being at Jim Brown was playing) went with my dad.

Last edited:
You both won, 32-21 and 31-8. I'm sure it spoiled you for everything since.
Penn State 1969. Up 14-0 and Greg Allen is tripped up by an outstretched arm going to make it 21-0.. Lose 15-14. My freshman year.

Became a fan at age 11 in 2003, saw nothing but mediocre football with a few exceptions for 15 years before this season. What a godsend. What a season.

I got season tix in GROB's second season (for some reason - guess that 1-10 season really dazzled me). Renewed every year since. Saw some terrible football mixed in with some glimmers of hope. So glad to see things finally come to fruition and can only hope and pray that we sustain it for a bit.

I forget how tough it must have been to get new fans the last fifteen years. Some bright spots in there but only continued success will catch the eye of the casual fan.

This season is the best I've seen after having started watching consistently in 1993. Most of our losses were even close. No more surprise blowouts, the hallmark of some of our best seasons during that time. Masterful job of coaching by Dino and great team execution by the players.

Watched my first game in 1995 as a 10 year old. Saw McNabb dance around the pocket as a skinny freshman and I was immediately hooked. Getting those first 6-7 amazing seasons in a row where they won 8-9 games per year cemented me as a life long fan.

Mostly highs during that time were followed by the lowest of lows for this program. Fortunately for me I was in college (Siena) and could momentarily escape from the GRob era of stupidity.

Have to admit I fell for Marrone’s words about this being his dream job. Great coach but that hurt seeing how he left us the way he did. Taught me a lot about trust and reputation.

I have a 5 month old now and would like nothing more than for Dino to be here long enough for my son to see and remember his first game the way I did 23 seasons ago.

I renewed my season tickets after the 1 win 2005 season.

You guys that joined after Marrone was hired are just bandwagon jumpers compared to that.

My earliest memory of being a cuse football fan was 2001. Its been a fun 17 years.

First memory of SU football was the Aloha Bowl on Christmas Day in 1990. Really became a fan during the '94 season when the games all were shown on TV in Western NY. McNabb era got me hooked for life.

Senior year in high school, I drove the 3.5 hours to three games with buddies - Rutgers, Pitt & the Miami game. What an experience it was to be in the Dome for McNabb's final home game.

While a student at SU, there was a lot of mediocrity but through it all I persisted. Flew to Auburn my senior year, to the UCF game & drove to B.C.

During grad school and early professional years, wasn't really able to watch as much but when Marrone was hired I went back to the Dome and there was hope. Was in the crowd for the Friday night game against West Virginia, and we thought we were "back". Then we proceeded to lose the rest of our games.

The next year, I thought we were a Top 25-type team at the end of the season and figured the future was bright. Wasn't enamored with what we were doing recruiting but Marrone had proven he could win with less. And then, just like that, he was gone.

Shafer was hired and I thought he had a high ceiling as a head coach but he never panned out. And now, we have the best option we could have possibly wished for in Dino. Despite the last two 4-8 years, there were flashes. Virginia Tech and, of course, Clemson.

This year just feels different to me than the other years. We are better in all three phases, and we have competed against the best in the country (despite the ND loss). We are deeper and some of your younger talent has shown signs of becoming elite-type players.

I think the corner has been turned. And, as long as we are able to keep the key personnel in place, I can't wait to see what the future holds. Could be another golden era of Syracuse football.

I have been going to games since 2003. Became a student right after we were elite. Have been getting sucked into coming back year after year since. Have posted mainly on the b-ball board in my time on this board due to us having more postseason success and the fact I know the sport better, but I’ve always loved football. This is the first season where I can say I have truly looked forward to every game since I have been in High School in 2001.

This is a great thread.

Earliest memories of SU football were in 1987. I remember hanging the Post-Standard insert in the window of our living room the week of Penn State: “Let’s Go 6-0!”. I was spoiled- SU’s 15 year run of football excellence coincided with me growing up and constantly going to games with my family. Was lucky enough to get to the Hall of Fame bowl in 89 when we smoked LSU (a sentence that is still amazing to type). I figured 2002-2004 was a blip and was proud to get my first set of season tickets in 2005 when Gerg arrived...which we still have today. A lot of bad football since then with moments of hope sprinkled in...until this year when it finally came together.

This year has been incredible in so many ways. It just feels good to be excited every Saturday, to watch SU play on national television, to not have your coworkers look at you as though you are crazy for heading up to the Hill to tailgate and watch SU lose yet again. Just a d@mn good feeling.

And the beauty of it is, I don’t even think we have seen the full potential of this program yet. Not even close. In Dino I trust- LGO!

Last edited:
Im so grateful that our program is back. Since i was a young boy watching Zonks " 3 yards and a cloud of dust" to yesterday there have been so many great moments as well as difficult times. Great seasons, amazing players, the walk out on Ben and what that team achieved. The decision to not de-emphasis the program, The dome being built, Hurley, Graves, Donnie, DMnab, Freeny, Tony Gabriel, Tommy Myers, Schwedes, Big Art Anderson, Rob K and so many more greats too many to remember.
As to games of course Nebraska, West Virginia, The opening Bomb to Rob and finally beating the hated Nitoney Lions, ND and Louisville during the dark times, Vtech, Clemson and yesterday
A lifetime of SU. SU has like my family been the one constant since i was little. I have lived in multiple places, been blessed with many great friends and companies. Had great relationships. Had an amazing wife have two wonderful daughters and so many great experiences. Yet other than my parents and sisters SU has been my longest relationship. Just like that one best friend the one you met in Kindergarten SU has and will always be apart of my core.
We are today at a crossroads and i truly hope that this administration realizes the unique opportunity that is in front of us and dares to be great.

Lets go Orange!

The first time I ever heard of Syracuse University was while sitting in the principals office in high school where Sal Mirabito was the de facto dean of discipline. I was a freshman at the time, and he had just finished "speaking to" a senior who was a regular in the office. After he gave me the old " you seem like a nice kid - I don't want to see you in here again" speech, I slithered out of the office and later found out he was some great former athlete from Syracuse.

I became a fan a few years later.

Back in 1987 my father, a season ticket holder, had to attend a conference and couldn't make a football game, so he asked me to record the game for him. One Rob Moore touchdown and a beatdown of Penn State later Syracuse had made a ten-year old a fan for life.

I have never seen a Syracuse home game at the Dome. I've only seen two IRL ever - Texas Bowl against Minnesota and in New Orleans against Tulane. I did not graduate or attend SU. Never even lived in Syracuse. I don't have anyone I know that did either - attend or live in the city. Yet, I've kept with them since the early 80's through the move to two football rich states (Ohio and Texas). By all rights, I should be a Buckeye or Longhorn fan. Yet, here I am, donating money to a school I've never attended, watching their sports with the fervor of any alumni, wearing their gear proudly and sticking with them through thick and thin. I think I'm faithful.

First indelible memory of caring about SU football is oddly the highlight when the stands collapsed during Texas game in 92. I was intrigued at that point and fell in love w the team in 93 when i knew I may go to SU.

I knew i divorced BC as my favorite team was in 94 when Mamula sacked Kevin Mason 20x and i was reallly p*ssed off and my dad was fired up (divided house).

Been my favorite season since 2001 this year

To me, BC is our top rival. I was in Schoellkopf in 1979 for the "oncoming train" game against them and fumed in the car while stuck in traffic on the ride home. Seeing Randy Edsall celebrating on the sideline of the dome as an assistant on Tom Coughlin's BC staff infuriated me. But last years beat down may have been the low point of the series for me. It was very hard to watch and must have been brutal for the players. I will savor yesterdays win for a long time.

Oh Damn! You all make me feel so old. I have to say though, I have not taken up knitting or bitching at people to sit down and yes, I stand up on third down.
I'm with you and billorange44 and Crusty. My first home game Sep 26, 1964, Floyd Little 38, Gayle Sayers (Kansas) 6. Stand up on third down? Hell, at UNC this year I had to leave my seat to an area where defeatists had left so that I could continue standing, yelling, high-fiving and making a general nuisance of myself away from my more staid Class of '68 brethren. Through thick and thin, it's always Orange!

I have never seen a Syracuse home game at the Dome. I've only seen two IRL ever - Texas Bowl against Minnesota and in New Orleans against Tulane. I did not graduate or attend SU. Never even lived in Syracuse. I don't have anyone I know that did either - attend or live in the city. Yet, I've kept with them since the early 80's through the move to two football rich states (Ohio and Texas). By all rights, I should be a Buckeye or Longhorn fan. Yet, here I am, donating money to a school I've never attended, watching their sports with the fervor of any alumni, wearing their gear proudly and sticking with them through thick and thin. I think I'm faithful.
I don't know what to say to this. I am absolutely lost for words. You sir, are to be commended.

I was born in Syracuse. My dad was/is a Syracuse fan. He taught me well. I was not fortunate enough to attend SU. Though I have never owned season tickets, I live 1600+ miles away, I have attended games and try to do so when in town. I remember Art Monk, Joe Morris and the rise of the Orange under Mac. I grew up with the stories of Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little and Larry Csonka. I watch almost every game on TV (Football, Hoops and Lacrosse).

I have raised my daughters to bleed Orange. They still do. I am now working on my two newborn grandsons.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom