To all the faithful out there (and you know who you are).. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

To all the faithful out there (and you know who you are)..

I grew up in Syracuse. I can remember my parents having season tickets as a young child. The earliest thing I remember is my Dad giving up his ticket for me to go to the last game at Archibold against Navy with my Mom. I don't remember too much about the game except that Cuse won and people were taking out chainsaws at the end of the game tearing the stands apart. I also think there was a giveaway for the game. Maybe a blue and orange rain poncho? I had a piece of the green bench in my basement for years. Most of my young childhood was listening to Doug Logan on the radio. TV games were few and far between. I can remember one against TOSU in the early in the -year that Syracuse "played well" but lost and next memory was the game against Nebraska 17-9 win. Joe Morris was my hero growing up. I cutout every article of him and posted it on my wall thru out high school. Some how a higher power was looking out of me and I got into Syracuse. I didn't have very good grades just " tremendous potential" :rolling:. I spent 5 of my best years on the hill and was lucky enough to call myself a Cuse Grad in 94. I had season tickets from my freshman year of my own until I moved to STL 5 years ago. I have been to numerous road games, home games, and this is one of my favorite years EVER!!

Renewed my seasons for year number 46 in 2019. First year was my freshman year in 1974. My dad brought me to my first game against Holy Cross in 1966 (I think). Confidence suffered at times but never lost the pride!

I'm with you and billorange44 and Crusty. My first home game Sep 26, 1964, Floyd Little 38, Gayle Sayers (Kansas) 6. Stand up on third down? Hell, at UNC this year I had to leave my seat to an area where defeatists had left so that I could continue standing, yelling, high-fiving and making a general nuisance of myself away from my more staid Class of '68 brethren. Through thick and thin, it's always Orange!
Wasn't that Floyd Little's first start after losing to hehe Boston College to start the season? I think he scored 3-4 touchdowns against Kansas that day if memory is correct. All eyes were on Gayle Sayers that day, but the world remembered Floyd Little. Incidentally, my baby brother Sam was born in early 1965. When he got so he could talk, his first phrase out of his little over a year mouth was Floyd Little! He pronounced it "Foyt Ittle". True story.

Wasn't that Floyd Little's first start after losing to hehe Boston College to start the season? I think he scored 3-4 touchdowns against Kansas that day if memory is correct. All eyes were on Gayle Sayers that day, but the world remembered Floyd Little. Incidentally, my baby brother Sam was born in early 1965. When he got so he could talk, his first phrase out of his little over a year mouth was Floyd Little! He pronounced it "Foyt Ittle". True story.
Yeah, Floyd tore it up that day and created quite a sensation by totally outshining Sayers.

Its been a long time coming but, at this moment, it sure seems worth it. 9-3 is great but is even better because all the talking heads, as usual, had us in last place in the ACC!

Unless you have held the faith lo these many years, the long climb back won't resonate like it does for us. Probably for most, pride sustained us. Just stubborn Syracuse fanatics, I guess.

The extra special bonus is that this is no fluke. The cupboard is full, the recruiting train has pulled out of the station, staff is high caliber - all lights are green. He'll, even the dome is getting air!

Nine years ago, even though we lived 600 miles from the dome, we bought season tickets because I felt DM was going to turn the program around and good seats were available. For awhile it seemed I was correct and then everything fell apart. But there was still Dungey and that was enough.

When we got Babers it seemed it was only a matter of time and a few more years didn't matter.

I never figured on 9 regular season wins in year 3. Never bargained for all the positive media attention and the newly gained respect.

All I can say, my Orange Faithful, is we earned this!

Enjoy, we will see you in Orlando.

LGO![/QUOTE

I often get yelled at for being the biggest Syracuse homer and apologist ever... I wear that label proudly. This year has tasted pretty sweet.

The first game I ever saw was on TV, the final game at Archbold in 78. It was a regional ABC broadcast. Joe Morris was this little guy who ran roughshod over a ranked Navy team. I got hooked that day and have been hooked since, for good or bad.

The first game I ever saw was on TV, the final game at Archbold in 78. It was a regional ABC broadcast. Joe Morris was this little guy who ran roughshod over a ranked Navy team. I got hooked that day and have been hooked since, for good or bad.

I was at that game! Freshman year. We charged the field and tore up the place. Lived in Sadler and we had one of those old crappy metallic snack bars in our lounge for the rest of 1st semester. Was gone when we got back after winter break.

I was born into an Orange family. I remember some good football when I was a kid from 1998-2001. I've been going to a couple games every year for the last 8 years or so and I've never missed a game on TV. The Marrone years were very exciting because it was the first time I could remember every game of the season for a decent Syracuse football team. This season has been a long time coming. I went through so many years of pity from my peers. Never wavered. I continued to wear my Orange with pride. Feels good to finally have a really good football program again.

I have never seen a Syracuse home game at the Dome. I've only seen two IRL ever - Texas Bowl against Minnesota and in New Orleans against Tulane. I did not graduate or attend SU. Never even lived in Syracuse. I don't have anyone I know that did either - attend or live in the city. Yet, I've kept with them since the early 80's through the move to two football rich states (Ohio and Texas). By all rights, I should be a Buckeye or Longhorn fan. Yet, here I am, donating money to a school I've never attended, watching their sports with the fervor of any alumni, wearing their gear proudly and sticking with them through thick and thin. I think I'm faithful.
Are you kidding me? Get thyself to Orlando, before someone starts a GoFundMe to get you there.

lol, no worries, I'll be there. I've already told my family and my boss, I don't care who goes, where SU goes, or what date it is, I'm going to the game.
That's the right attitude - just rearrange your schedule and get there! (By the way, I had to post something this morning because I found a new avatar on a BC site.)

That's the right attitude - just rearrange your schedule and get there! (By the way, I had to post something this morning because I found a new avatar on a BC site.)

niiiiiicccccee

Oh Damn! You all make me feel so old. I have to say though, I have not taken up knitting or bitching at people to sit down and yes, I stand up on third down.

You’re not alone. My first game was 1963.

I have an older brother who graduated from LeMoyne in 1967. My mother would drive me and another brother out (from Albany area) and the three brothers would attend an SU football game while she cleaned my brother's apartment and prepared dinner. My first taste of SU football; Little, Czonka, ... I graduated from high school in 1969 and decided on SU. Been a diehard fan ever since. I've had football season tickets since 1980 and have travelled from the Albany area, missing only a handful of home games during that time (fall football Saturday weddings, ugh). Fortunately I have a tolerant wife (Stony Brook alum) who's accompanied me on most of those Thruway trips. LGO!!!!

I grew up in Syracuse, on the east side in Eastwood. I was a paper boy, and vividly remember reading about Syracuse football games while delivering my papers. There were always a bunch of pictures in the Sunday HA, players were labeled, there was a ton of coverage, there was a coaches show on TV; this was clearly something very important. Back in the early 1970s, I think ABC did a game of the week live, and NBC aired replays of ND home games called by Lindsey Nelson. That was about it. Until the 1979 season, when Syracuse played all games on the road and got into a bowl game, I don't think I ever saw an SU football game televised.

Anyway, despite the lack of TV coverage, I got interested. Started listening to games on the radio (called by the inimitable Joel Mareiniss). I think Coney Island Dave Cohen was the color guy. That got me more interested.

But none of my friends went to games. My parents didn't go. No one I knew went. Circa 1973-74, I decided it was time to check things out. I looked up how to get to the campus and with much trepidation, walked up to Archbold.

I walked up to buy a ticket and froze. The price for a ticket was $6! I was a paper boy. I had money. My partner and I split a route and made maybe $8 a week. $6 was a lot. Chiefs games were $1. I had no idea it was going to be so expensive...I think I brought $4 with me. I got out of line and I think I just stood there to the side of the ticket booth, wondering what to do.

Some guy came up to me.

"Hey kid, you need a ticket?"

"Yes. But I don't have $6."

"How much you got?"

I remember thinking, this guy (I was 13 or 14; he looked about 20) wants to sell me a ticket. I briefly considered lying to him and saying $3. No, I had walked 3 miles to get this far; I wasn't going to take a chance.

"$4"

He smiled.

"This is your lucky day."

Hands me a ticket very surreptiously. Stands close to me, blocking the view.

I give him my hard earned $4. He disappears.

Enormously relieved, I hurry to the nearest stadium entrance. The game is about to begin!

I proudly hand my ticket to the usher. He looks at it. I start through the turnstile.

"Wait a minute. Where is your id?"

I look at him with what I am sure was a very confused look.

"You gotta show me your id. You aren't a student, are you?"

"Yes I am. I attend Eastwood Junior High."

"You can't use this ticket. This is a Syracuse University student ticket."

He look at me like I am crazy. Greenhorn that I was, I never even looked at the ticket. I look at it now. It is a SU student ticket.

It hits me. I have been bamboozled. I am an idiot. I can't help it, my eyes start to fill with tears.

"I am sorry, I bought it from somebody. They didn't tell me. I didn't know. Sorry."

I didn't fight it. I turned around and started the long, sad walk home. At that moment, my entire future as a Syracuse fan was held in the ticket taker's hands. Maybe my future choice for college as well.

"Hey kid".

I didn't bother turning around. I muttered "its okay" and kept walking.

He was an older guy. Didn't seem nice, wasn't warm at all. But somehow, some way, something changed in the ticket taker's heart.

He ran back to him. Put his arm around me. Put his head close to my ear and whispered "It is okay kid. Don't worry about it. C'mon with me." Walked me back to the turnstile.

He took the ticket back from me and allowed me to enter the stadium. I went from utter devastation to sheer joy in the span of 5 seconds.

I headed under the stands. It was really dark, dreary and looked a lot like a prison in Auburn I had driven past before. I remembered thinking I had made a bad mistake. This was going to be a bad experience.

Then I reached an entrance to the playing field, walked through it, looked up from the depressing gray concrete and saw the most brilliant and beautiful green grass field I ever saw. The end zones were painted in Syracuse colors and I think the SU band was on the field.

For the first time in my life, I gasped in excitement.

And that was it. I was hooked. For life.

I grew up in Syracuse, on the east side in Eastwood. I was a paper boy, and vividly remember reading about Syracuse football games while delivering my papers. There were always a bunch of pictures in the Sunday HA, players were labeled, there was a ton of coverage, there was a coaches show on TV; this was clearly something very important. Back in the early 1970s, I think ABC did a game of the week live, and NBC aired replays of ND home games called by Lindsey Nelson. That was about it. Until the 1979 season, when Syracuse played all games on the road and got into a bowl game, I don't think I ever saw an SU football game televised.

Anyway, despite the lack of TV coverage, I got interested. Started listening to games on the radio (called by the inimitable Joel Mareiniss). I think Coney Island Dave Cohen was the color guy. That got me more interested.

But none of my friends went to games. My parents didn't go. No one I knew went. Circa 1973-74, I decided it was time to check things out. I looked up how to get to the campus and with much trepidation, walked up to Archbold.

I walked up to buy a ticket and froze. The price for a ticket was $6! I was a paper boy. I had money. My partner and I split a route and made maybe $8 a week. $6 was a lot. Chiefs games were $1. I had no idea it was going to be so expensive...I think I brought $4 with me. I got out of line and I think I just stood there to the side of the ticket booth, wondering what to do.

Some guy came up to me.

"Hey kid, you need a ticket?"

"Yes. But I don't have $6."

"How much you got?"

I remember thinking, this guy (I was 13 or 14; he looked about 20) wants to sell me a ticket. I briefly considered lying to him and saying $3. No, I had walked 3 miles to get this far; I wasn't going to take a chance.

"$4"

He smiled.

"This is your lucky day."

Hands me a ticket very surreptiously. Stands close to me, blocking the view.

I give him my hard earned $4. He disappears.

Enormously relieved, I hurry to the nearest stadium entrance. The game is about to begin!

I proudly hand my ticket to the usher. He looks at it. I start through the turnstile.

"Wait a minute. Where is your id?"

I look at him with what I am sure was a very confused look.

"You gotta show me your id. You aren't a student, are you?"

"Yes I am. I attend Eastwood Junior High."

"You can't use this ticket. This is a Syracuse University student ticket."

He look at me like I am crazy. Greenhorn that I was, I never even looked at the ticket. I look at it now. It is a SU student ticket.

It hits me. I have been bamboozled. I am an idiot. I can't help it, my eyes start to fill with tears.

"I am sorry, I bought it from somebody. They didn't tell me. I didn't know. Sorry."

I didn't fight it. I turned around and started the long, sad walk home. At that moment, my entire future as a Syracuse fan was held in the ticket taker's hands. Maybe my future choice for college as well.

"Hey kid".

I didn't bother turning around. I muttered "its okay" and kept walking.

He was an older guy. Didn't seem nice, wasn't warm at all. But somehow, some way, something changed in the ticket taker's heart.

He ran back to him. Put his arm around me. Put his head close to my ear and whispered "It is okay kid. Don't worry about it. C'mon with me." Walked me back to the turnstile.

He took the ticket back from me and allowed me to enter the stadium. I went from utter devastation to sheer joy in the span of 5 seconds.

I headed under the stands. It was really dark, dreary and looked a lot like a prison in Auburn I had driven past before. I remembered thinking I had made a bad mistake. This was going to be a bad experience.

Then I reached an entrance to the playing field, walked through it, looked up from the depressing gray concrete and saw the most brilliant and beautiful green grass field I ever saw. The end zones were painted in Syracuse colors and I think the SU band was on the field.

For the first time in my life, I gasped in excitement.

And that was it. I was hooked. For life.
That is a wonderful story. The same feeling I had when I first walked into Archbold. You know, everytime there after when entering that old stadium, up until the end, I always got that same feeling. To this day, I long for Archbold. Well, not like the last couple of home games this yeaar. That was the pits sitting in that old stadium during a cold November rain.

l grew up in Sandy Creek, north of Syracuse. My dad wanted me to go to Syracuse and I started in the fall of 1974. I was able to buy student tickets (I was able to sell one of them to some newspaper kid:rolling:) and that began my SU fan journey. In the 70s and 80s I went to games with my brother but moved to Virginia in 1988 and didn't make games for a while, other than West Virginia. I was at the Marvin Graves victory in Morgantown. I was raising a family and working 60+ hrs per week and that was a bigger priority.

I bought a season ticket for a couple of years recently and made a number of games, some with my younger daughter and other NY friends. I found a couple of projects to work on in Binghamton and was able to join the Fine Mess and sit near the most amazing fan I've met, SUTomCat. I've been honored.

So, now I've relocated to Colorado. My older daughter bought a very cool off-the-grid home in the southern Rockies and needs help keeping it all running. Until I get her systems more manageable, here's where I'm living:
00%20setting.jpg

It's an amazing place but it's 45 minutes to a gas station and over an hour to Lowes. I don't dine out very often. So, this morning I bought a 2019 season ticket. I may have to find eastern projects again for the fall, but missed being there and want to celebrate in the dome when SU beats Clemson. I'll be in 302 where the crazies live...

My 1st Dome experience was either in '88 or '89 as a 6 or 7 yr old kid. I remember my Dad telling me Michael Owens was one of the guys to watch. Since then I was hooked. My Dad got season tickets for the two of us and one of my brothers beginning in 1995. He really picked a good time for that. I've had seasons ever since.

Sticking through it all has been really tough at times, but it is great to see SU football back on the map! With Dino at the helm & a lot of young talent, I see no reason why it won't continue.

First indelible memory of caring about SU football is oddly the highlight when the stands collapsed during Texas game in 92. I was intrigued at that point and fell in love w the team in 93 when i knew I may go to SU.

I knew i divorced BC as my favorite team was in 94 when Mamula sacked Kevin Mason 20x and i was reallly p*ssed off and my dad was fired up (divided house).

Been my favorite season since 2001 this year

don't remember the stands collapsing.
Can you enlighten me please?

thx

I have never seen a Syracuse home game at the Dome. I've only seen two IRL ever - Texas Bowl against Minnesota and in New Orleans against Tulane. I did not graduate or attend SU. Never even lived in Syracuse. I don't have anyone I know that did either - attend or live in the city. Yet, I've kept with them since the early 80's through the move to two football rich states (Ohio and Texas). By all rights, I should be a Buckeye or Longhorn fan. Yet, here I am, donating money to a school I've never attended, watching their sports with the fervor of any alumni, wearing their gear proudly and sticking with them through thick and thin. I think I'm faithful.
Had no idea. Amazing

don't remember the stands collapsing.
Can you enlighten me please?

thx
The railing in the end zone by the students gave way.

Grew up in Rome. Dad is an alum and told me how SU was national champs when he went there.
Watched and attended some games in high school and college. When Darrell Gross came I was hoping Coach P would be fired (I am sorry to admit) so we could turn the page to better things.

That's when I really started following closely - following recruits and watching the program burn to the ground with Grob. Its been an attachment I haven't been able to shake since. Storming the field against Clemson is something I will never forget. This year has been so satisfying. Cant wait for next year and beyond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom