To increase attendance to home games and seeing only about | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

To increase attendance to home games and seeing only about

strange thing is when you go to the game you see hundreds of kids walking around dressed in game gear.. few it seemed went inside. is this like a college party you need to get the girls to show up to get the guys to attend?

you used to see the frats lawns filled with kids getting ready for a game, now they are empty. what happened there?

I passed tons walking away from the dome with the free t-shirts they gave away yesterday none of them must have gone it.

football is still pretty big deal at most HS. just shocked so few kids at a fball college care to even show up. I saw more outside playing basketball than sitting in the dome.

a few hundred students in the student section so build a god damn new Stadium where there will be huge parking lots around the stadium you can walk a short distance to the gates.

Why are so many worried about the students who don't show up anyways. There are probably more students at Destiny on Saturdays than at the Dome.There is a field down there that is not owned by COR and the University was looking at it as a possible landing spot. Plus this will kill the carrier name once and for all with a few corporate sponsors where the teams can cash in on.

I personally know people who gave up their season tickets because of the parking situations and even skytop messed with the parking up there about 10 years ago.My father who had a hard time walking gave up his because the walk to the buses up at skytop was getting farther to walk for him. He would get up there earlier and earlier and most of the closet handicap spots where gone and a bunch of cars never had the tags on them.

Just win.

Well, when 80% of the students are under 21 I don;t think that's a terrible policy.

Also, I buy one beer at a time and walk my 32 year old butt back to the concession stand every time I need another one. 21-22 year olds can do the same.

A small number of folks (too small to consider a real sample size) on our various football fb pages complained that "locals can't watch the game on TV." This bothers me. If you're that local... go.to.the.Dome.

Makes me wonder how many people can see the Dome from their bedroom windows and whine they can't watch it on TV instead.

Some of us need a shuttle from home to our seat to get there. I can't make that walk anymore. Love the Cuse, but I'm not dying to see a game.

Also, I buy one beer at a time and walk my 32 year old butt back to the concession stand every time I need another one. 21-22 year olds can do the same.

I'm not sticking up for 21 year olds, or telling anyone what to do, I'm just gonna let ya know that if you bought two beers at a time, you'd have to walk your 32 year old butt back to the concession stand half as many times. That's science brotha!

I'm not sticking up for 21 year olds, or telling anyone what to do, I'm just gonna let ya know that if you bought two beers at a time, you'd have to walk your 32 year old butt back to the concession stand half as many times. That's science brotha!

giphy.gif

1iUyJb3

Some of us need a shuttle from home to our seat to get there. I can't make that walk anymore. Love the Cuse, but I'm not dying to see a game.
Fair enough. My fault for not elaborating that those folks stated they were done with Syracuse because they couldn't figure out how to view the game without going to the Dome. Seemed a bit dramatic.

Fair enough. My fault for not elaborating that those folks stated they were done with Syracuse because they couldn't figure out how to view the game without going to the Dome. Seemed a bit dramatic.

I hear ya. I came off harsh. Just frustrating how difficult it is for me personally to see a game live. Then the TV issue adds on to that. My apologies. I know what you mean about some fans. They will be back on the bandwagon soon enough. We are gonna be really good soon.

I hear ya. I came off harsh. Just frustrating how difficult it is for me personally to see a game live. Then the TV issue adds on to that. My apologies. I know what you mean about some fans. They will be back on the bandwagon soon enough. We are gonna be really good soon.
I hear ya...and when you boarded the handicap buses after the games it was at times a total free for all situation where they let anyone on those who were not handicap and the ones who were had to wait standing up until space opened up for them. They never enforced the rules which is a reflection on who they hired to do so. My father had enough.

And the area around the dome is very hilly and parking is getting very scarce up there even with the lower attendance now. They are shooting their own foot to please the Academic side for new schools and I am hearing it will only get worse with the parking.

Parking for dome events is about average distance for college stadiums. When I went to Clemson last year, I had to park about a mile from the stadium and walk. That's the way it is. The only college games I have personally been to with parking right at the stadium were games at pro stadiums.

Like most college stadiums, there is some parking close to the dome but it comes at a premium.

Attendance has dwindled as W-L has been dismal. Most people are fed up with losing. It will take consistent winning to bring them back. When that happens, parking will be just fine again.

Parking complaints just show how many people dont go to other events to see its actually better than many. people went to the state fair and that was far worse most days.

people go see the yankees and mets and have to take subways/trains for longer than a 5min ride from skytop.

wait until people go to LSU or PSU or WV and find the wait to get in and out of the parking lot that costs $50.

anyone who cant walk should just park at skytop and ride the special bus in, its like parking next to the dome without the traffic

Yes but the issue is those aren't here. Just because it's worse at other places doesn't mean people want to put up with it here, ya know?

is the issue for the Dome parking that we don't have suitable tailgating or there isn't enough space? I feel like the disconnect is tailgating options b/c 30k for the hoops team seems to work just fine with minimal complaints. My frat house on Walnut used to have parking and it was a good walk to the Dome but it wasn't the best spot to tailgate.

BC has a few tailgating spots and ALOT of off campus satellite lots to take shuttle buses in. It's not optimum but it works.

Yes but the issue is those aren't here. Just because it's worse at other places doesn't mean people want to put up with it here, ya know?
But it shows that parking is not the real issue unless you are saying people in Syracuse are more sensitive to parking than others. Obviously, closer is better but in the end, winning trumps most everything when it comes to attendance.

is the issue for the Dome parking that we don't have suitable tailgating or there isn't enough space? I feel like the disconnect is tailgating options b/c 30k for the hoops team seems to work just fine with minimal complaints. My frat house on Walnut used to have parking and it was a good walk to the Dome but it wasn't the best spot to tailgate.

BC has a few tailgating spots and ALOT of off campus satellite lots to take shuttle buses in. It's not optimum but it works.
I park in a permit lot. It has great space for tailgating. I went to a lot behind a church this past weekend owned by the church to meet friends. Plenty of room for tailgating in the lot. Not sure which lots you think you cannot tailgate at. Sure, the lawn of a frat house on Walnut is not great but those are not people looking to tailgate. They just want to park. However, my first "tailgate" was with a keg and a grill in Walnut Park. Was a blast...and nice.

But it shows that parking is not the real issue unless you are saying people in Syracuse are more sensitive to parking than others. Obviously, closer is better but in the end, winning trumps most everything when it comes to attendance.

No what I am saying is that if you go to the dome year after year after year but go to a different venue once or twice in a while, you'll have more experiences with parking at the dome, and most likely it won't be all that great.

This is a complaining city. Syracuse fans seek out complaints. How often is parking complained about for basketball when the weather is worse? That's why you said winning trumps everything. Until we're doing that consistently, fans will nitpick and give your reasons why they won't go

a few hundred students in the student section so build a god damn new Stadium where there will be huge parking lots around the stadium you can walk a short distance to the gates.

Why are so many worried about the students who don't show up anyways. There are probably more students at Destiny on Saturdays than at the Dome.There is a field down there that is not owned by COR and the University was looking at it as a possible landing spot. Plus this will kill the carrier name once and for all with a few corporate sponsors where the teams can cash in on.

I personally know people who gave up their season tickets because of the parking situations and even skytop messed with the parking up there about 10 years ago.My father who had a hard time walking gave up his because the walk to the buses up at skytop was getting farther to walk for him. He would get up there earlier and earlier and most of the closet handicap spots where gone and a bunch of cars never had the tags on them.

the entire student body is partying either on Euclid or CastleCourt. All wearing Orange. Just not going to the game.

the entire student body is partying either on Euclid or CastleCourt. All wearing Orange. Just not going to the game.
That is a great point and one of the reasons I'm not in the "build it and they will come" or "just win baby" attendance build camp. Obviously the aging venue and poor product have contributed but the world has changed a lot since the Dome was built or the product was good. This might be who we are attendance wise and 30,000 plus may be our max. NE culture, attention spans, home electronics, ...the world is changing, and spending 4 plus hours in a 125 degree building may not work for our population

Free and dollar beer. You want noise and fannies in the seats, that should do it.

i never understood it really. Seems to me the University would make far more on concessions than worrying about a $25 ticket. Goes for all ticket prices really.

There are only two things that will bring the fans back and some of you will hate to hear one of the reasons.
  1. Win. Now that we have an interesting style of team they just need to win.
  2. Play Michigan and Tennessee instead of Central Michigan and Middle Tennessee.
Don't wanna hear the "But we can't do #1 AND #2! Everybody plays some crap teams in order to reach bowl eligibility and that is SOOOO important." I love SU but if we had made a bowl game with wins against Central Conn St, Middle Tennessee, Central Michigan, Pitt, BC and Wake it wouldn't mean much to me. Fans don't want to pay all the money it costs to watch crap teams/schools. And they really don't want to see them lose to said schools. I hope Dino can get us there.

I vividly remember the 1979 season when SU made the Independence Bowl, the first in many years and started to bring the program out of irrelevance. It was a small bowl against a nothing team but it was the journey that made it worthwhile. T o get there SU beat WVU, Northwestern, Washington St, Kansas and Miami. Throw in losses to Ohio St, Penn St and ultimately #4 Marino led Pitt. It is kind of ironic to me that with a schedule like that SU did not play a single home game due to Dome construction.

There are only two things that will bring the fans back and some of you will hate to hear one of the reasons.
  1. Win. Now that we have an interesting style of team they just need to win.
  2. Play Michigan and Tennessee instead of Central Michigan and Middle Tennessee.
Don't wanna hear the "But we can't do #1 AND #2! Everybody plays some crap teams in order to reach bowl eligibility and that is SOOOO important." I love SU but if we had made a bowl game with wins against Central Conn St, Middle Tennessee, Central Michigan, Pitt, BC and Wake it wouldn't mean much to me. Fans don't want to pay all the money it costs to watch crap teams/schools. And they really don't want to see them lose to said schools. I hope Dino can get us there.

I vividly remember the 1979 season when SU made the Independence Bowl, the first in many years and started to bring the program out of irrelevance. It was a small bowl against a nothing team but it was the journey that made it worthwhile. T o get there SU beat WVU, Northwestern, Washington St, Kansas and Miami. Throw in losses to Ohio St, Penn St and ultimately #4 Marino led Pitt. It is kind of ironic to me that with a schedule like that SU did not play a single home game due to Dome construction.

We have FSU/Clemson built into the schedule. That satiates #2 for me vs the old Big East model where we only had Miami as a bigtime perennial top 3 matchup. We can't play the schedule we used to because we joined SEC's Eastern Division. Fans will come back if we just put a good product out there. I think people have lost perspective at how bad we are as a football program. It's trending up but there really only is one way to go where we are currently.

In 1998 when we played Tennessee and Michigan we had National Title talent. Watch either game on youtube and you will see where we were at that point versus where we are now. The talent showed in both games and throughout the year (we made some teams look absolutely foolish).

That is a great point and one of the reasons I'm not in the "build it and they will come" or "just win baby" attendance build camp. Obviously the aging venue and poor product have contributed but the world has changed a lot since the Dome was built or the product was good. This might be who we are attendance wise and 30,000 plus may be our max. NE culture, attention spans, home electronics, ...the world is changing, and spending 4 plus hours in a 125 degree building may not work for our population
When they win, students go...it's the place to be...like hoops.

Science also says that second beer will be warm by the time I drink it, unless I'm chugging them. I do all the chugging I need at the tailgate, where beers aren't $8 a piece.

That's the theory - mine is that we won't see it.
Why do they go to hoops games in the worst weather? This is what happened in football at a "basketball" school in the NE during the 90s when they were winning.

YR Attend. Ave/per game
19905 235,112 47,022
1991 6 260,666 43,444
1992 6 295,910 49,318
1993 5 249,458 48,092
1994 6 286,477 47,746
1995 6 244,171 43,276
1996 6 289,064 48,177
1997 6 275,188 45,865
1998 6 287,386 47,898
1999 6 280,445 46,741

Forum statistics