To increase attendance to home games and seeing only about | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

To increase attendance to home games and seeing only about

Why do they go to hoops games in the worst weather? This is what happened in football at a "basketball" school in the NE during the 90s when they were winning.

YR Attend. Ave/per game
19905 235,112 47,022
1991 6 260,666 43,444
1992 6 295,910 49,318
1993 5 249,458 48,092
1994 6 286,477 47,746
1995 6 244,171 43,276
1996 6 289,064 48,177
1997 6 275,188 45,865
1998 6 287,386 47,898
1999 6 280,445 46,741
Lots of change in the last 20 years. Hoops and football are apples and oranges. I hope I'm wrong

Syracuse university should cater to SU students first and foremost regardless of their attendance. It's not a public school. It's great the community supports the team but to move it off campus would be frankly dumb.

Just remember, there is no football program without townie support. That is all.

If they don't go to the games,what makes you so sure they won't donate to the Athletic Dept. then. I doubt they would ever donate to that Dept. to begin with. Academic side sure...

Because as we have seen, the alumni are SO great at donations. /sarcasm/

Proportionally the student section is as empty as the rest of the joint. Not sure why adults here continue to pick on them.
That just isn't true. You can see spotty attendance throughout most sections, however the student section stick out like a sore thumb with it's nearly 100% vacancy.

First students should enter free , be part of a halftime $$ give away they need to be in the stands There must be an effort to get them there maybe all the tickets should be free ... until they win . This team will be very very good in 3 years than the stands will be near full . I don't blame fans for not believing yet but the students are a must

Make a student tailgate section , with a dj , BBQ and giveaways plus free tickets make it an event ! To pay for this run a 50/50 at the game raise an easy 10k ! Get the campus and stadium atmosphere rocking

Parking complaints just show how many people dont go to other events to see its actually better than many. people went to the state fair and that was far worse most days. ...

anyone who cant walk should just park at skytop and ride the special bus in, its like parking next to the dome without the traffic

I just went to a concert in Buffalo at their arena, holds about 20,000, I'd say. I parked within 1 block of the entrance for $20; parking a block further away was $15 and it was $10 a block further than that. Nice flat walk, got to the arena in about 5 minutes with the crowd.

Many ticket scanners prevented a big build up to enter the arena. Escalators took us immediately up to the second level, where there was a huge area like a food court with 4 bars, and people sitting or standing at high top tables with their drinks and food before the show.

Walking up to the nosebleed seats (2nd row from the top), there were actual handrails and the seats actually had seat backs, and were not squeezed in too close together. Yes, beers were $11, but that was fine. I had one each set, but had gotten "comfortably numb" before we got to the show.

Bathrooms were big and there were several; probably as many as we have in the Dome, but for 30,000 fewer capacity.

So, to compare the Dome parking situation to the State Fair, there are businesses leaving every 30 minutes from malls in every neighborhood of Central NY that is served by Centro, and they leave you right at the main gate. There is room for all the buses, so that there are signs, and lines, and when you return home, it's very easy to see where to catch your bus.

As for parking down at South Campus, once they took away parking at Manley, proper, it's really a lot farther than you think to get to those lots. It's about a 2 mile walk, which is a long way for little kids and old people. It's about 1.2 miles just down Colvin St., which is still only a 2 lane street, so the traffic and buses get backed up, if you are getting within 30 minutes of game time.

So unless you plan on getting to your seats an hour before kickoff, my experience is that the buses from Skytop take too damn long, and the supposed buses from downtown or malls around town are just not very well publicized, and there is very little place for people to be dropped off or picked up, certainly compared to the experience at the Fair.

I haven't gone to the Fair the past 2 or 3 years, but when I used to go, the bus was the only way to go. If SU had anything so well organized and well publicized, it would be a no brainer.

Parking for dome events is about average distance for college stadiums. When I went to Clemson last year, I had to park about a mile from the stadium and walk. That's the way it is. The only college games I have personally been to with parking right at the stadium were games at pro stadiums.

Like most college stadiums, there is some parking close to the dome but it comes at a premium.

Attendance has dwindled as W-L has been dismal. Most people are fed up with losing. It will take consistent winning to bring them back. When that happens, parking will be just fine again.

many lots have been closed and converted to academic buildings

they aren't magically returning when we start winning again

The literally even cheer for cuse. They just dont go into the Dome.

Make a student tailgate section , with a dj , BBQ and giveaways plus free tickets make it an event ! To pay for this run a 50/50 at the game raise an easy 10k ! Get the campus and stadium atmosphere rocking

Would likely struggle to work

Many students are under 21, so why would they come to a place that would limit their drinking

The game isn't only about drinking obviously, but I think this would put a significant damper on student attendance.

Every single Saturday THOUSANDS of Students are in Orange and tailgating. The problem is that they just dont go into the Dome.

And to make it worse (or better i guess) is that they are using Syracuse Football as the excuse to dress like they are and day drinking. But they dont even know the score of the football game. Its similar concept to Preakness (back when Preakness was still Preakness). BYOB - huge party on the infield. Noone even knows the horses are racing.

many lots have been closed and converted to academic buildings

they aren't magically returning when we start winning again
Many lots are far from full right now. The available lots (including new lots like the large garage on University and the Harrison lot) can hold what is needed if the dome gets filled.

IMO...there is no greater recruiting tool than a full loud Dome. How Babers recruits this well when it is half full says quite a bit about how good of a recruiter he and his staff are. People say just win and yes, that would be huge but getting people there and yelling would to me be the thing that gets even more high 3, 4 and yes 5 stars (The ones that Babers really wants) to come to the Hill.

IMO...there is no greater recruiting tool than a full loud Dome. How Babers recruits this well when it is half full says quite a bit about how good of a recruiter he and his staff are. People say just win and yes, that would be huge but getting people there and yelling would to me be the thing that gets even more high 3, 4 and yes 5 stars (The ones that Babers really wants) to come to the Hill.

Chicken & The Egg

Chicken & The Egg

It is a paradox no doubt. But, just saying win reminds me of telling a pitcher that is throwing balls to throw strikes. It's obvious he wants to and isn't trying too, just needs to be shown how.... much like Babers is going to show this crowd how by winning with a half full Dome. SU needs a good HC and coaches that can put up with this type of attendance and they have one in this HC and staff. Personally, I would like to make it easier by having 35k+ people being loud and ironically that IS something fans can control but for X,Y and Z they do not go.

Some thoughts:
1. Winning cures a multiplicity of ills.
2. We have student attendance problems, too. See #1 as a help in lessening them.
3. We have non-student attendance problems, too. See #1 as a help in lessening them.
4. A reserved parking space in C'ville starts at a $600/year donation, if a spot is available. That lot is about half to three-quarters of a mile away (in flatter territory than Syracuse).
5. Our students get in "free" because admission to all regular-season athletic events is included in the Student Activity Fee, which is criticized for being one of the highest around.
6. YOU GUYS SELL BEER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Add it up.
i never understood it really. Seems to me the University would make far more on concessions than worrying about a $25 ticket. Goes for all ticket prices really.

Science also says that second beer will be warm by the time I drink it, unless I'm chugging them. I do all the chugging I need at the tailgate, where beers aren't $8 a piece.
My favorite kind of fan. Cheap, lazy, and drunk.

castle court footage from Sat vs CMU
That's great except for 1 thing. They aren't in the dome. Other schools have this same scene, and then they take the party to the game. Here, the game is just the excuse to party. No need to actually go in and watch the game and add to the atmosphere. I'll bet 90% of those students had no clue if SU won or lost until they woke up on Sunday.

Every single Saturday THOUSANDS of Students are in Orange and tailgating. The problem is that they just dont go into the Dome.

And to make it worse (or better i guess) is that they are using Syracuse Football as the excuse to dress like they are and day drinking. But they dont even know the score of the football game. Its similar concept to Preakness (back when Preakness was still Preakness). BYOB - huge party on the infield. Noone even knows the horses are racing.
LOL. I just posted my thoughts on that picture, then read this post and realized what I wrote nearly 100% matched what you wrote. Great minds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom