To increase attendance to home games and seeing only about | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

To increase attendance to home games and seeing only about

That's great except for 1 thing. They aren't in the dome. Other schools have this same scene, and then they take the party to the game. Here, the game is just the excuse to party. No need to actually go in and watch the game and add to the atmosphere. I'll bet 90% of those students had no clue if SU won or lost until they woke up on Sunday.

On the latter: doubtful. I bet a large percentage of them were getting score alerts on their phones, and/or follow 'Cuse related accounts on Twitter and Instagram. They know what's going on.

On the former, the curse of numbers strikes again. At the huge state schools you can have thousands of kids partying during the game and not going into the stadium while a separate set of thousands go to the game, and thus there's no attendance issue. SU's enrollment is tiny compared to all but a handful of P5 schools, so if kids don't go it's instantly noticeable.

Either way, its not like this is a student-only phenomena. How many times have I read here about people bemoaning CNY locals who go to bars, or other people's houses, to watch home games, instead of trekking to the Dome? A: a lot.

Students can do what they want. It's up to the program to make attending the game compelling. We're not there yet.

On the latter: doubtful. I bet a large percentage of them were getting score alerts on their phones, and/or follow 'Cuse related accounts on Twitter and Instagram. They know what's going on.

On the former, the curse of numbers strikes again. At the huge state schools you can have thousands of kids partying during the game and not going into the stadium while a separate set of thousands go to the game, and thus there's no attendance issue. SU's enrollment is tiny compared to all but a handful of P5 schools, so if kids don't go it's instantly noticeable.

Either way, its not like this is a student-only phenomena. How many times have I read here about people bemoaning CNY locals who go to bars, or other people's houses, to watch home games, instead of trekking to the Dome? A: a lot.

Students can do what they want. It's up to the program to make attending the game compelling. We're not there yet.
lol...not at you,but at the students a few years back when they left the WF game before the ACC invite when we came back big in the 4th to win.

The Students were asking how much we lost by and when I told we won they said I was lying and so when the next group asked me,I told them we lost by 30 and one of them told his buddy great decision to leave and asked for a high five from him.

Every single Saturday THOUSANDS of Students are in Orange and tailgating. The problem is that they just dont go into the Dome.

And to make it worse (or better i guess) is that they are using Syracuse Football as the excuse to dress like they are and day drinking. But they dont even know the score of the football game. Its similar concept to Preakness (back when Preakness was still Preakness). BYOB - huge party on the infield. Noone even knows the horses are racing.

The dome hurts this for early year fall games when the weather is still nice

many lots have been closed and converted to academic buildings

they aren't magically returning when we start winning again

People repeat this, but it's overstated. A few hundred surface spaces have been lost to buildings in the last ten years. Before the buildings went up, those spaces were replaced in garages. And during the '80s, when more people were showing up at the Dome than have been around for the last three seasons, many of these lots didn't even exist yet - Stadium West, Lehman, etc. all had buildings on them.

The parking/construction situation's always been in flux, but the neighborhood around campus has as many spaces as it's ever had. It's the experience at the Dome that's become a turn-off.

After seeing these photos and being in the (empty) Dome for MTS, I think we need to take a hard look at the (liberal arts) admissions requirements. What a clown show.

Lot of dead-eyed B high school students roaming around. But if their parents can pay full freight...

Lot of dead-eyed B high school students roaming around. But if their parents can pay full freight...
Short term tuition money, sure. But an academically challenged cohort leads to a lot of long-term, self-perpetuating problems like: excessive partying; reduced loyalties to the University and its programs; a degraded academic reputation that spreads and becomes ingrained in the brand; declining post-graduate success rates; increasingly limited future gift-giving capacity ... etc.

Better to take a tuition hit and bring in more serious students. That and some homework.

Last edited:

I also know adults that come to tailgates and then leave when others are heading into the Dome. I've even offered FREE tickets when they are already there tailgating 200 yards from the Dome and the STILL TURN THEM DOWN :mad:

I get the percentages, but to say that the sections are empty in in equal amounts is flat wrong. I saw 0 students in the lower student section in the second half. The student section has way more silver in it than the others.
As far as the kids not knowing what the score was, I was being sarcastic.
Bottom line is, the product stinks, and the students won't support the team until they win. It's not a chicken or the egg question at all. It's simple. The team must win first, then the students will come.

IMO...there is no greater recruiting tool than a full loud Dome. How Babers recruits this well when it is half full says quite a bit about how good of a recruiter he and his staff are. People say just win and yes, that would be huge but getting people there and yelling would to me be the thing that gets even more high 3, 4 and yes 5 stars (The ones that Babers really wants) to come to the Hill.
Am I alone in thinking this falls on the AD? Who has more capacity to cure?

The kids want to party. The adults are getting in the way. Easy fix.

Edit: Bob, don't know why I chose your post to respond to, was directed at the clips and subsequent chastising of the drunken youngsters. Chalk it up to confoosion and party on..

People repeat this, but it's overstated. A few hundred surface spaces have been lost to buildings in the last ten years. Before the buildings went up, those spaces were replaced in garages. And during the '80s, when more people were showing up at the Dome than have been around for the last three seasons, many of these lots didn't even exist yet - Stadium West, Lehman, etc. all had buildings on them.

The parking/construction situation's always been in flux, but the neighborhood around campus has as many spaces as it's ever had. It's the experience at the Dome that's become a turn-off.
Hey Otto,how many gave up their season tickets because of it or the ones who were bounced out of other lots to please the higher preference ones who lost them there?

I wonder if the university looks at that?

Hey Otto,how many gave up their season tickets because of it or the ones who were bounced out of other lots to please the higher preference ones who lost them there?

I wonder if the university looks at that?
I'd like to know that too. There's no easy fix there, but it's a bad look for SU. The lot where the new law building is was always half empty, but they bumped a bunch of people from Standart and West to make room for those high-pref donors. Probably cost them some regular fans (I assume the choices were Manley or more expensive garage spots). The use of West spots by students is a problem for fans too.

Build a new stadium and it'll be half empty until the teams wins consistently. You know, EXACTLY like it was in the Dome from 1981 to 1986.
There were more fans attending then than now...my eyeballs don't lie.

I hate the student shaming about the ills of the attendance at the Dome. The school has done everything under the sun to make their experience less fun on/around campus. No wonder they want to rage at Castle Court on Saturdays. ALL the bars are closed on campus. Why the frig would you want to waste valuable party time to hang out with Scott Shafer at the Carrier Dome?

The students will do what they are gonna do. This is a student body made up of Tri-State and New England folk who weren't raised to root blindly for a college football team on Saturdays. They have professional sports DNA. If the team stinks, why on earth are you gonna blindly go for root for this product. I know people hate to hear it but until this turns around and there are parties at Castle Court and cell phones that keep you updated by the millisecond, they aren't gonna waste time in the Dome.

It has nothing to do with the Dome. Once we start winning the students will show up as they are the same students who sleep in tents in order to get basketball tickets.

I get the percentages, but to say that the sections are empty in in equal amounts is flat wrong. I saw 0 students in the lower student section in the second half. The student section has way more silver in it than the others.
As far as the kids not knowing what the score was, I was being sarcastic.
Bottom line is, the product stinks, and the students won't support the team until they win. It's not a chicken or the egg question at all. It's simple. The team must win first, then the students will come.
It has nothing to do with the Dome. Once we start winning the students will show up as they are the same students who sleep in tents in order to get basketball tickets.
I hate the student shaming about the ills of the attendance at the Dome. The school has done everything under the sun to make their experience less fun on/around campus. No wonder they want to rage at Castle Court on Saturdays. ALL the bars are closed on campus. Why the frig would you want to waste valuable party time to hang out with Scott Shafer at the Carrier Dome?

The students will do what they are gonna do. This is a student body made up of Tri-State and New England folk who weren't raised to root blindly for a college football team on Saturdays. They have professional sports DNA. If the team stinks, why on earth are you gonna blindly go for root for this product. I know people hate to hear it but until this turns around and there are parties at Castle Court and cell phones that keep you updated by the millisecond, they aren't gonna waste time in the Dome.
Sorry but I'm student-shaming all day if wins are their only motivation. Getting scores on a cell phone is just an excuse to be lazy. Are these kids college students or selfish adolescents who require constant entertainment? Is school pride a thing of the past? Has any of these partiers considered that SU is his/her University, and not a bar or a strip club? And if they're not at the Dome, where? Inane underage drinking-clusters like those in the photos? Please. They look like they're still in HS -- sorry and stupid. Win or lose, at least the football team's doing something constructive.

Last edited:
I still feel like upperclassmen dont really go to any games. Its just a part of the culture of the campus over the last decade. Its seen as a freshman thing to do.

Sorry but I'm student-shaming all day if wins are their only motivation. What a bunch of selfish adolescents - with no school pride. It's THEIR University, not a bar or concert hall to crowd into for happy hour. And if they're not at the Dome, where else? Inane rooftop parties like those in the photos? Please. They look sorry and stupid. At least the team's doing something constructive.

I'd love to go back to Syracuse for the parties and happy hours and the chicks. Not a game versus Central Michigan. Newsflash: I missed some games at the Dome back in the day (1994-1998). Reasons: Hungover from night before. I was guilty of no student pride that day.

The sports are something that carry on for a lifetime as a Syracuse grad. The house parties, castle court end upon graduation. Kids, you be you. If a game at the Dome fits into your social calendar, awesome. If not, i'm not going to kill them for it. Scooch said it best, we have a finite amount of kids versus the state schools.

I'd love to go back to Syracuse for the parties and happy hours and the chicks. Not a game versus Central Michigan. Newsflash: I missed some games at the Dome back in the day (1994-1998). Reasons: Hungover from night before. I was guilty of no student pride that day.

The sports are something that carry on for a lifetime as a Syracuse grad. The house parties, castle court end upon graduation. Kids, you be you. If a game at the Dome fits into your social calendar, awesome. If not, i'm not going to kill them for it. Scooch said it best, we have a finite amount of kids versus the state schools.
I'm just going to repeat what I said above:

"Are they college students or selfish adolescents who require constant entertainment ...?"

"After seeing these photos and being in the (empty) Dome for MTS, I think we need to take a hard look at the (liberal arts) admissions requirements. What a clown show."

Last edited:
There were more fans attending then than now...my eyeballs don't lie.

Has to be because of TV. Back then it was a big deal when your team was on national TV, now I can get pretty much every game from my couch in HD.

After seeing these photos and being in the (empty) Dome for MTS, I think we need to take a hard look at the (liberal arts) admissions requirements. What a clown show.
my favorite sticker I have at my camp says, "I'm a liberal arts graduate......would you like fries with that!". And I'm a liberal arts graduate!!

my favorite sticker I have at my camp says, "I'm a liberal arts graduate...would you like fries with that!". And I'm a liberal arts graduate!!
Right!? I know the millennials are a different set. But wow ... seems like people are afraid to call them out for acting like selfish children. Someone should be adult enough to say, "hey, idiot, stop drinking and go support your team. Then go to the library and do some homework!" No wonder student attendance is down.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom