Today Dino needs to be locked up | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Today Dino needs to be locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, didnt read niaam before, so didnt realize sean keeley is an asshat
You are being a bit harsh. His article is reality. Many folks are in denial over the situation. I for one do not believe wildhack will let money be an issue. if he wants to leave he will leave because of other reasons Nothing will stop it.

Wildhack will do everything in his power to keep this ship cruising. Dino will get a bump that is hopefully tied to an extension with an increased buyout.

2019 is not the worrisome year, but, 2020. And we knew this.

This is the reality of the college football landscape. When you do have a hot commodity, you want to make sure you are compensated in the event that you are poached. Our AD is well aware of the situation.

Him and Dino have a great relationship, they live in the same neighborhood and meet on a weekly basis in addition to that. It’s crazy to think that finger isn’t on the pulse.

The only thing we’re really debating is what the bump should be. And although I think Bees has laid out a realistic #, I think 4 and change is a bump that could ride us through 2020.

Great problems to have. And even better is in the very worst case scenario, we’ve got insulation to pay a top replacement.

Papa John money is gone. I advise to a company that just put 40M into PJ to help fund their way out of the PR mess they are in. There will be no money coming from them.
It's not even Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, was publicly renamed Cardinal Stadium officially.

Papa John's Cardinal Stadium is no more. Crews remove sponsor signs

After 40 mil, the name isn't even on the building any more. They removed John's name from another building he paid for the naming rights to as well.

Wildhack will do everything in his power to keep this ship cruising. Dino will get a bump that is hopefully tied to an extension with an increased buyout.

2019 is not the worrisome year, but, 2020. And we knew this.

This is the reality of the college football landscape. When you do have a hot commodity, you want to make sure you are compensated in the event that you are poached. Our AD is well aware of the situation.

Him and Dino have a great relationship, they live in the same neighborhood and meet on a weekly basis in addition to that. It’s crazy to think that finger isn’t on the pulse.

The only thing we’re really debating is what the bump should be. And although I think Bees has laid out a realistic #, I think 4 and change is a bump that could ride us through 2020.

Great problems to have. And even better is in the very worst case scenario, we’ve got insulation to pay a top replacement.

My question initially was how do you re-up a coach if he isn't forcing any leverage with the situation? Does Wildhack unilaterally rip up the contract or is there smoke/fire with Louisville purely for leverage purposes?

I can't think of any other SU coach who has had their contract ripped up and extended higher and longer.

It might not but it should. That’s fair market value. We don’t do that or haven’t and that’s why we sucked for so long. We have a guy who can put us where we should be and ur saying we probably won’t offer fair market value then in my opinion he will be gone. I get ur sliding scale and it makes sense just at what point does Dino say u don’t want a winning team and moves on. We have it made with Jimmy here cause he is happy for basketball but that rarely happens. If I want the best carpet guys or flooring u pay the best install prices to get them. I can’t offer an installer 2/3 what everyone else is getting and hope does a good job. Always remember u get what u pay for. Look at our 3 coaches before. Marrone ok but other 2 cheap and that’s the problem. At some point down the road it will effect the recruiting until he is locked up.

Think about what you said. We’re top 20 so we have to pay him top 20. There’s new teams popping into the top 20 every year. If every coach said that, you’d have everyone making top 20 and the scale would increase significantly year over year. We’ll do what’s fair. I hope they back up the brinks trunk to his house because I want Babers here till he retires from coaching. But I’m realistic enough to realize, this is his first year here where we’re over .500 and he’s only been a P5 coach for 3 years. If they bring him up $1m I’m sure he’ll see that as fair.

My question initially was how do you re-up a coach if he isn't forcing any leverage with the situation? Does Wildhack unilaterally rip up the contract or is there smoke/fire with Louisville purely for leverage purposes?

I can't think of any other SU coach who has had their contract ripped up and extended higher and longer.
I know that most coaches would use this season as leverage. The agent would use the rumblings to further that leverage. If DB’s doing that, who knows?

I don’t know if that’s happened with another coach here or not. But in all honesty, JB’s probably the only coach in the modern era where it would even be applicable, and it’s not something he would do so it’s a non-starter.

And yes, I do believe JW would make amendments to the current contract, it’s just the landscape now. Happens in the business world daily with valuable employees.

Dino is sharp. He realizes that if he is going to be considered for another job a huge part of his potential hiring is his buyout. My guess is that his buyout is reduced significantly next year possibly as early as this December. He might not go for an extension at this time opting to stay with his current contract and see how it shakes out next year. If he wins 7 games or more next year with an exciting team he will be well positioned for a huge job and salary as the money saved as a result of a lower buyout makes it economically viable to pay him and his staff more. In addition there could be better schools open next year.

Dino is sharp. He realizes that if he is going to be considered for another job a huge part of his potential hiring is his buyout. My guess is that his buyout is reduced significantly next year possibly as early as this December. He might not go for an extension at this time opting to stay with his current contract and see how it shakes out next year. If he wins 7 games or more next year with an exciting team he will be well positioned for a huge job and salary as the money saved as a result of a lower buyout makes it economically viable to pay him and his staff more. In addition there could be better schools open next year.

That buyout is the big unknown. Are buyouts often assumed by the team poaching or does the coach offset his new salary by the buyout terms? I can't imagine Dino has made a ton of money lifetime to just discount a buyout if it's onerous enough for him to have to square away.

If I'm Wildhack, the last thing I do is lower the buyout. If somebody wants him and he eventually decides to go, they're going to have pay up, which would also help pay for our next coach.

Wow, didnt read niaam before, so didnt realize sean keeley is an asshat

Literally every single post they have takes a potshot somewhere. "This is great...but enjoy it now because we'll go backing to being horrible." Every time I remember it exists and check it out I'm mad at myself for doing it.

Literally every single post they have takes a potshot somewhere. "This is great...but enjoy it now because we'll go backing to being horrible." Every time I remember it exists and check it out I'm mad at myself for doing it.

Glad someone else noticed... there is no real “analysis” in that post. I struggle to call it an article.

If Wildhack can’t get it done, I dont think anybody will have been able to.

We should not only be happy about the job Dino’s done, but with the trajectory of our entire program as well.

I have full faith in the AD to do what is necessary and utilize the powers at hand.

One thing to consider: it was rumored that a big factor in Marrone's leaving is that the University didn't want to pay his assistant coaches enough money. Dino is a guy who brought several assistants with him. he seems like a loyal guy. The compensation package needed to keep him here might involve what his assistants are to be paid as well.

if he signs an extension of any length the list that he would go to gets pretty short. and for all the USC thought, Helton was a drive away in the 4th from winning those last 4 they lost.. a non FR QB and not losing your best LBs may have helped both of those things.

USC could easily go back to a 8-9 win team next yr. they are a young team.

The last twenty years of Syracuse football coaching consists of a declining Coach P, Greg Robinson, the guy who thought Syracuse was his dream job until he actually had to coach in college, and Scott Shafer so yeah color me shocked that we haven’t lost a coach to another college program in a very long time.
P wasn't declining until he was. Any big program that needed a coach in the late 90's should have considered him.

P wasn't declining until he was. Any big program that needed a coach in the late 90's should have considered him.

The last twenty years from now would go back to late 1998. So if you’re saying that a big program would give Coach P a look circa 1999-2004 then we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

if he signs an extension of any length the list that he would go to gets pretty short. and for all the USC thought, Helton was a drive away in the 4th from winning those last 4 they lost.. a non FR QB and not losing your best LBs may have helped both of those things.

USC could easily go back to a 8-9 win team next yr. they are a young team.

Ya but the only thing with them being better is 8-4, or 9-3 isn't going to cut it. USC will expect 10 wins and depending on who you lose to and when, that may not even be enough. I think the backlash that Swann has received for this will make keeping him long-term will be impossible if he doesn't get them into the playoffs next year.

I was actually hoping he got canned this year. I don't think (actually i'm pretty confident) they wouldn't have hired Babers this year. But if Babers duplicates this performance next year then he will definitely be the hottest name, not only for the USC opening, but every opening big or small. That's why it's important we come out with an aggressive extension this year, and have Babers come out and publicly say he's not going anywhere. If Wildhack shows him we are serious maybe he decides this is the place he wants to be long-term and shuts everything down. People may say he doesn't need to do so, but with all the buzz his name generated this year it could negatively effect recruiting with other coaches using that against us.

Puts this in the “we’ve not had a HC like Dino Babers” file right next to the “JB is different” file

It's been the best season since '98. I know the '01 team won 10 games - but this team is better.

The product is very exciting - high octane - and Dino represents everything positive about Syracuse. He's a spectacularly great ambassador for the school. Locking him down will improve admissions, butts in the seat, and additional revenue from bigger and better bowl games going forward.

It should be a very easy sale to the BOT. Get him to $5M per year - give him another $2.5M for assistants - and roll forward. The dividends a move like this will pay are a multiple of the added expense.

He's becoming a national name and he's brought Syracuse back to the forefront in CFB.

Finally, Wildhack does have leverage - to do it right now. The available jobs out there this year aren't that glorious for Dino - unless Meyer retires.

This is an incredibly important moment for Syracuse. Don't jump over a dollar to save a dime.

If Wildhack can’t get it done, I dont think anybody will have been able to.

We should not only be happy about the job Dino’s done, but with the trajectory of our entire program as well.

I have full faith in the AD to do what is necessary and utilize the powers at hand.

In the end the vision of the chancellor is going to be more of a factor, and I'm under the impression that we're in a good spot there as well. Dino is emerging as a true ambassador for the university, and my hope is that Ch. Syverud puts a high $$$ estimate on that element of his retention value. The fans love Dino and it won't take much more success to get this thing to really pop.

Overall, Los Angeles, California is 57.7% more expensive than Syracuse, New York

Median Home Cost

Syracuse, NY $82,800

Los Angeles, CA $670,200

In the end the vision of the chancellor is going to be more of a factor, and I'm under the impression that we're in a good spot there as well. Dino is emerging as a true ambassador for the university, and my hope is that Ch. Syverud puts a high $$$ estimate on that element of his retention value. The fans love Dino and it won't take much more success to get this thing to really pop.
What a time for the chancellor to place Syracuse on a higher pedestal and lock up a coach who not only has us competing with the ACC/Big/big12/SEC on the field and in recruiting, but also outperforms them morally and increasingly in academics.

These times you see news stories about all the seediness of college athletics and scandal.

Not with Dino. You see him inspiring young men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom