Today Dino needs to be locked up | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Today Dino needs to be locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have complete faith in Wildhack. We can argue all we want as to what Dino should get. It doesn’t matter. Wildhack will do the right thing and I don’t believe IF Dino were to leave it will be over money. It will be fans not going to the Dome.

In the 4 years prior to 2018 the team went 15-33, including 2 years with Dino. Why would he be upset fans weren't going to the Dome? Mighty FSU had a lot of empty seats this season due to a 5-7 record.

I gave up my season tickets in 2015 but I bought individual game tickets each year when I could make it and I was one of the thousands with a hoarse voice today from cheering after the BC game in the SU visitors section corner.

If he comes back, the fans WILL be there in 2019. I know a bunch of people who are just waiting to see that Dino is coming back before pulling the trigger on season tickets and making roadtrip plans for the Maryland game.

Last week, Harbaugh had the #4 team in the country. This week, they're calling for his scalp. The factories are not all they're cracked up to be.

I think Dino can see the big picture. He's already competitive here, with better recruits signing up all the time. Wildhack as AD. Dome reno where he gets to play half his games in climate controlled conditions, perfect for his offense. IPF, private plane and improving bells & whistles for recruiting. Fan base loves him, but no crazy expectations from fans, media or administration.

Reasonable pay raise for him in the $4m range plus bumps for assistants should get it done. I hope...:)

It's honestly amazing that we pay top dollar for all the non-revenue sports and go cheap on the revenue sports that actually make the money to allow us to pay to have the best women's hacky sack coach and men's Magic the Gathering training staff and facilities.

Wildhack’s the AD for a reason. Rome wasn’t build in three years.

Things are changing. Babers/the ad’s task is now to sustain a winning culture. The fans are coming back and the university’s vault is slowly opening.

It’s very understated how much progress Wildhack’s been able to make in a short time.

I have full faith in our AD to secure our coaching talent, if its at all possible.

It's honestly amazing that we pay top dollar for all the non-revenue sports and go cheap on the revenue sports that actually make the money to allow us to pay to have the best women's hacky sack coach and men's Magic the Gathering training staff and facilities.

Doesn't SU have one of the top Quidditch team? And no, I'm not kidding.

I think that ticket sales are going to bump up nicely. I think that a Dino extension, which shows a commitment in dollars to him and a commitment by him to the program, would be like gasoline on that fire. I actually think they will get to around $4 million per. Perhaps just shy. $3.8 mill-$4 mill range. That would put him in the range of a top 25 paid coach in college football. Truthfully we'd need to go to 5 to really feel like someone cant blow us out of the water with $ but I dont see that (and that is likely a bridge too far). But I think 4 is where we need to go.

I’m just trying to figure out where all this increased revenue (revenue generated by CFB and MCBB) is going that we have a legitimate debate on whether we’ll pony up $4 mil + for Dino and bumps for his assistants.

It’s not like the University costs more to run because we’re in the ACC now.

Most people understand the correlation between Revenue Sport success and donations/applications/attendance etc..

This doesn’t seem like it should be such a debatable topic. Maybe Wildhack locks it down and this all becomes moot moving forward but as of now, nothing has happened publicly and we’re left to wonder whether we truly care about competing at the highest levels in CFB and CBB (post JB)...which is crazy, again, considering those two sports are why we have this huge influx of cash from the ACC.

Last edited:
My theory is that no sane 57-58 year old millionaire would want to deal with the death threats from fans of elite programs when they go 4-8 their first year or two (see FSU).
He’s also black so you can add some racism to those death threats. (Again, see FSU)

I thought the whole point of going for the ACC money was so we could afford to have nice things, like retaining successful coaches.

Who says we aren’t? Babers extension if there is one will be close to triple what Marrone or Shafer we’re getting.

Wait...uh what?

Yeah, I'm almost positive I read that SU is ranked #2 or came in second in the national Quidditch tournament, or something like that.

It’s not the same metrics. I forget what all the coaches make but if the hacky sack coach gets 500k a year and that makes him #1 isn’t going to make a huge dent if it was onky 400k.

It’s not the same metrics. I forget what all the coaches make but if the hacky sack coach gets 500k a year and that makes him #1 isn’t going to make a huge dent if it was onky 400k.
Can we just shut down the “hacky sack program” and give that $500k to Dino? I mean... I get we have other sports but if they are all being paid top dollar and the difference between 3.75 mil and 4.25 mil per for Dino is a bridge too far...I don’t really want to hear it.

Can we just shut down the “hacky sack program” and give that $500k to Dino? I mean... I get we have other sports but if they are all being paid top dollar and the difference between 3.75 mil and 4.25 mil per for Dino is a bridge too far...I don’t really want to hear it.

I made up as a joke the hacky sack and Magic the Gathering teams but we spend so irrationally on other real non-revenue programs that it COULD be true.

I made up the hacky sack and Magic the Gathering teams but we spend so irrationally on other real non-revenue programs that it COULD be true.
Haha, I know, that’s why I put it in quotations. I’m picking up what you’re putting down.

The bottom line to Bees point is that yea, those sports paying $500k per as opposed to $300k is a big deal...but if we seem to be doing that everywhere and then have people shocked at jumping into the 4’s for Dino, as opposed to something with a 3 in front of it...I don’t get it.

Haha, I know, that’s why I put it in quotations. I’m picking up what you’re putting down.

The bottom line to Bees point is that yea, those sports paying $500k per as opposed to $300k is a big deal...but if we seem to be doing that everywhere and then have people shocked at jumping into the 4’s for Dino, as opposed to something with a 3 in front of it...I don’t get it.

Yeah I don't think our non-revenue sports are creating the buzz that football and basketball do so I understand why we have them (Title IX) but it doesn't mean we need to spend like drunken sailors at the expense of football and basketball.

I'm pretty concerned what happens AB (After Boeheim) when it quickly becomes apparent that we aren't getting a hometown discount from a Top 5 coach anymore.

I made up as a joke the hacky sack and Magic the Gathering teams but we spend so irrationally on other real non-revenue programs that it COULD be true.
Those kids from Portland who grew up in the 90’s are really hard to beat ... and they’re roughly super (10x) seniors, so experience is very much on their side.

Yeah I don't think our non-revenue sports are creating the buzz that football and basketball do so I understand why we have them (Title IX) but it doesn't mean we need to spend like drunken sailors at the expense of football and basketball.

I'm pretty concerned what happens AB (After Boeheim) when it quickly becomes apparent that we aren't getting a hometown discount from a Top 5 coach anymore.

*Unless we make good on the old promise to Hop

*after year #1

The most extreme position I remember hearing here was mine: he’d be on the hot seat (6+ wins or out) NEXT year IF he went 4-8 THIS year (for the 3rd time in a row).

No reasonably sane human would leave a multi million dollar a year job with close to zero expectations and a system that’s clicking for a reality where he’d endure 2 years of death threats (his system takes 1.5-2 years to implement).

Also, no reasonably sane human at the age of 57-58 would leave a system that’s clicking to take a lateral to a system that’s a mess.

And lastly, no reasonably sane person is going to leave a system that’s clicking for a clear step down without some other motivating factor (i.e. a personality conflict with the AD).

So unless anyone can find a vertical move that has low expectations, I’m not worried about losing Dino.

Dino + Syracuse is good for everyone involved. Elite programs push the boundaries of sanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom